Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gedday you lot...

I'm lovin' the track a lot... I'm also still very new to Ducati, but I'm thinking of buying a stacked or cheap 748/749 for use as a track bike...

Everone else seems to have the UJM so I was wanting something different and wondering if there are better years/specifications that I should be looking for....

SPS?? S?? R?? RS?? Year??

Thanks in advance....

Ita

Oh Yeah... If the right bike reared it's head I'd sell the road bike and just do 10 or 12 track days a year and give up the road!!! But I'd really like a stacked one.... (Cosmetic write off...) So I could afford to keep my S4r...

Attachments

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The folks I know with an R or an RS as a race/track bike have pretty frequent maintenance. Not that things are going wrong, but that the intervals for maintenance are more frequent when they're being used as a track bike.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'd suggest having a spare fairing and actually using that. Several people over on ducati.ms have been bitching about how hard it is to get a replacement fairing for a 999R. Buy a hotbodies race set and ride with that, keep your normal fairing for street work. Of course, you probably already thought of this. :)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
the 748 series do need more frequent maintenance than the current 749/999 but also depends on the mods that have been done. Sometimes used race bikes have good mods and the bikes get sold off reasonably priced, just takes a little time maybe to find the right one.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ubermensch said:
the 748 series do need more frequent maintenance than the current 749/999 but also depends on the mods that have been done. Sometimes used race bikes have good mods and the bikes get sold off reasonably priced, just takes a little time maybe to find the right one.
I think and ex-race bike may be the go...

I'll check the classifieds of the local road racing clubs...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ducati-999S-...0QQihZ016QQcategoryZ32625QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one would be fun!!!!

Ita

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
are you absolutely sold on a duc.. or absolutely not sold on an I4?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gm2 said:
are you absolutely sold on a duc.. or absolutely not sold on an I4?
I'd really like a Duc, but availability and price will probably force me onto a 600cc Honyamkawuki.... A 1K 4 would scare me witless, but there are plenty of them around for not many dollars...

I'm in no rush so I'll just keep my eyes open...

Ita

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
unless you're a pro a literbike is kinda pointless on the track. or it's overkill anyway. you just have to work to get it stopped in time to turn it, rather than getting good with corner entry/carrying speed. and modern 600s will go PLENTY fast.

i'd love a duc track bike too. but your wallet will be really unhappy the moment it goes down the first time. parts for japanese I4s are plentiful and cheap; not so for ducs.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
gm2 said:
unless you're a pro a literbike is kinda pointless on the track. or it's overkill anyway. you just have to work to get it stopped in time to turn it, rather than getting good with corner entry/carrying speed. and modern 600s will go PLENTY fast.

i'd love a duc track bike too. but your wallet will be really unhappy the moment it goes down the first time. parts for japanese I4s are plentiful and cheap; not so for ducs.
If the bike is prepped correctly Ducs actually crash really well. Aftermarket bodywork is cheap so either Twins or I4's are about the same, but the I4's require less set-up for handling unlike Ducs which require more set-up but once they are dialed in they are very fun.
Depends on goals (track or race), budget, availablility and personal tastes. Can't really go wrong with either unless you buy a trashed POS then it's a bummer no matter what. --Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ubermensch said:
If the bike is prepped correctly Ducs actually crash really well. Aftermarket bodywork is cheap so either Twins or I4's are about the same, but the I4's require less set-up for handling unlike Ducs which require more set-up but once they are dialed in they are very fun.
Depends on goals (track or race), budget, availablility and personal tastes. Can't really go wrong with either unless you buy a trashed POS then it's a bummer no matter what. --Good luck and enjoy!
I'm hearin' ya and would love a duc....

I was really only looking for a 7** but now cosidering a 9** A cosmetic write off....

I just want to be different... I know UJM L4s are faster and cheaper..... But I'm loven te Duc and the individuality!!

Ita

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
How about an aircooled SS?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
ducpainter said:
Another great option! Either a 750 or a 1000 would make an excellent track bike with less Maintainence. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ducpainter said:
Now there's and option I hadn't considered....

One of those could be lotsa fun...

Ita

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just picked up an SV650... practically the same power delivery as my Monster 800, and cheap as HELL to race/wreck.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Ita said:
Now there's and option I hadn't considered....

One of those could be lotsa fun...

Ita
I love my 750. It is cheaper than an SBK both purchase and maintenance wise. They crash fairly well, and until you have scouts hounding you to sign a contract have plenty of power.

It will make you a better rider, and it's sooo much fun to pass people on more expensive and powerful bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
warhorse has a couple of the 1000ss/ds race-only bikes. i think they're $7999, but don't quote me. call 1-888-222-2453 and ask for eddie or dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts