Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to be asking this question about a Ducati, but I've accepted that my budget is not that big.

Any thoughts on a '98 ZXR600 as track bike? It looks in good nick. 42,000 on the clock. Going for $6,600, with race glass.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Geoff,
To quote Michael Caton from the movie "The Castle", .........."tell im he's dreamin" [laugh]

In all seriousness he wants to much for an old bike. They all do.
For an extra few K you can do so much better.
Aim maybe for an 00 R6/GSXR600 and I'd expect not to be paying more than $8K.
makes new look cheap doesn't it!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nitrox said:
Geoff,
To quote Michael Caton from the movie "The Castle", .........."tell im he's dreamin" [laugh]

In all seriousness he wants to much for an old bike. They all do.
For an extra few K you can do so much better.
Aim maybe for an 00 R6/GSXR600 and I'd expect not to be paying more than $8K.
makes new look cheap doesn't it!
Yeah, I felt it was a bit high, but I'm not that familiar with the prices of 600's. Thanks for your thoughts

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
nitrox said:
Geoff,
That's the first thing I thought of when I read the post, but I didn't want to come off as being rude [laugh]

Also you might want to look at a GSXR 750.. the best track bike going I.M.O. [thumbsup]

G

·
I've been searching for a while for a track bike after taking my Monster out on the track a few times. Was getting nervous about dropping it so started looking on ebay, bikesales and bikepoint. ebay is pretty good if your willing to travel. Chocweaton got a great deal for a track bike. [thumbsup]
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=56053.0

Have a look at these sites for some track bikes:
www.TrakDaze.com
http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtremema.nsf/Main?openpage

Good luck.

CraigB

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ducati900ie said:
I've been searching for a while for a track bike after taking my Monster out on the track a few times. Was getting nervous about dropping i
That's exactly my motivation for getting a track bike. Loved being on the track, but the thought of sending my Monster (with bling) down the track is too much to bear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Paul.C said:
Also you might want to look at a GSXR 750.. the best track bike going I.M.O. [thumbsup]
One advantage of the '98 ZX6R is that if he ever decides to progress from trackdays to club racing, that vintage of ZX6 is eligible for superstock 600's which is a pretty good low budget way to start racing...

+1 of the "sounds expensive" comments, a friend of mine sold his '99 ZX6R with both raceglass and street fairings with two sets of wheels for $4800 about a year ago...

big

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigiain said:
One advantage of the '98 ZX6R is that if he ever decides to progress from trackdays to club racing, that vintage of ZX6 is eligible for superstock 600's which is a pretty good low budget way to start racing...

+1 of the "sounds expensive" comments, a friend of mine sold his '99 ZX6R with both raceglass and street fairings with two sets of wheels for $4800 about a year ago...

big
Moving to low-budget, for fun only, racing is part of the plan.

I should head over East to look for race bikes. I might stioll come out ahead after airfares and freight costs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know you on a budget , but I'm with PaulC.
There is no doubt in my mind (and most bike journos) that the GSXR750 is the perfect balance of power and handling for the track.
They go like stink, but don't intimidate as much as a litre bike. But they have heaps more go than a 600, and handle and stop very well. Perfection [thumbsup]

If only we had a decent track up here :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts