Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been to the track and now Im addicted.... I have been debating about doing up the monster (rearsets, nicer rubber, clip-ons, maybe some adjustable forks) or purchasing a track bike. I have been leaning towards a track only bike for numerous reasons and now I found one that I think I like. Has anyone had any experiance with the rs250? I like it because its small, but comes with good suspension, brakes, and it is track ready. It aslo has some juice for a 250. How are reliability issues with 2-stroke engines? I have no previous experiance w/ 2 strokes other than my weed wacker. I know that this isnt your regular beginner 250 bike, so will it be really hard to ride? I have thought about getting a ninja250, but I feel like the amount of money to get the suspenision and brakes up to par with the priller would be about the same amount of money. Any input is welcome.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I have ridden one. They're not easy to register for the street (just in case you did want to do that). The powerband is one in the classical sense, you have to rev the bike up a long way before it'll get power. Obviously they're very light and quite quick. I rode one on the street that was (allegedly) road legal (not mine) and it was pretty cool once I discovered the extra revs. :-[ Great little bike, it would be awesome at the track but you may have trouble finding parts because they're not sold here (AFAIK). I believe that the brakes are the same as the monster and you may be able to find other parts that fit too. If you can get one (there was an Aprilia racing series based on the RS250 a while back so they are in the country) and you can deal with the parts and maintenance then go for it. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ebay usually has a ton of rs250 stuff up.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Vindingo said:
So I have been to the track and now Im addicted.... I have been debating about doing up the monster (rearsets, nicer rubber, clip-ons, maybe some adjustable forks) or purchasing a track bike. I have been leaning towards a track only bike for numerous reasons and now I found one that I think I like. Has anyone had any experiance with the rs250? I like it because its small, but comes with good suspension, brakes, and it is track ready. It aslo has some juice for a 250. How are reliability issues with 2-stroke engines? I have no previous experiance w/ 2 strokes other than my weed wacker. I know that this isnt your regular beginner 250 bike, so will it be really hard to ride? I have thought about getting a ninja250, but I feel like the amount of money to get the suspenision and brakes up to par with the priller would be about the same amount of money. Any input is welcome.
Talk to Chris Kelly of Ca-Cycleworks, he raced one for years. He can tell you all you need to know and more...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I lost the bid on the one I was looking at on ebay.... so maybe it isnt in the stars. I have read/heard that it can take a little bit to get used to 2stroke power because they are twitchier than I4's and the powerband is high up there. The search continues....

G

·
Vinny...get yourself and older Japanese I4 for a track bike. Parts are a dime a dozer and maintenance is not as costly compared to a Euro bike. Yes...I have 5 yrs of FHE. ;)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The RS250 is a great track bike.. just make sure you stick to maintenance intervals and the best 2 stroke oil you can buy. The engine isn't that brittle.. started out in the Suzuki RGV250.

If you get one, I'll envy you sooooo much. The swingarm on these bikes are absolute art! See if you can get a new/unused one from the UK - there maybe some unused stock lying around.

Try DK Motorcycles (have a website), onyerbike (have website - very good reputation) etc.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I raced an RS250 for two half-seasons.

I knew nothing about suspension setup, maintenance, etc, etc. The bike was dead at the end of my time with it.

That having been said -- it was a great first track-only bike. Real nimble, easy handling, user-friendly power delivery (not binary). It has great lean capability. True -- you have to rev 'em up to get 'em moving and you get PUNISHED if you go through a turn in the wrong gear becuase the bike WON'T pull, but it's good teaching for when/if you later move up to a bigger bike.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've watched a few at track days. Crazy corner speed - that's what you can learn from them.

Also learn to ride all two-strokes covering the clutch. They can seize before you sense it, and spit you off. I have had about 5 partial seizures on my YSR 50, and by covering the clutch they were all benign evolutions just pulling off the road quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts