Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that TPO has several inexpensive items: crankcase ventilation, license plate relocator, emissions canister removal kit, voltage regulator relocater (anyone noticing hot regulators?), stainless steel bolt kits, etc. And, there is their beast intake. how have people's luck been with them? I couldn't find a phone # anywhere on their site, do they handle issues well with email?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
my experience with tpo is that they are overpriced to begin with. bad customer service, and their stuff barely does any performance gains. too bad, it just seems liek the guy is out to make a buck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll present an alternative viewpoint.

I've bought the crankcase breather and the "beast" both off TPO's ebay sales. Oddly it was cheaper than buying directly from their site but heck.

Service wise TPO's ebay rating tends to argue against S4_newbies experience. I paid right after the auction and the items arrived within a few days. Exactly as described and perfect.

Performance. Well lets face it, a crankcase breather isn't going to improve performance. I tried to locate the k&n part here in town and had nothing but trouble. No one carried it. It is cheaper to find the part and cobble something together but you might find, like me, its better getting the kit.

The TPO Beast "pods" are a different thing all together. I believe that if you bolt them on with no ECU tuning yes you will lose power, both torque and hp. I bought a PCIII to go with it. There is denying that more air and fuel will give more horsepower. Replacing the airbox definatly allows the engine to rev quicker, getting me into the powerband much quicker. Looking at the machined velocity stacks compared to the factory plastic units in the airbox I do not see much differences between the two. It could be argued that a open airbox with k&n performs the same.
The pods look great though so it depends on what you wish to achieve.

I'm happy so far with my purchases and yes TPO is out to make a buck. So am I. I'm not sitting at work on a rainy, cold saturday out of the goodness of my heart. I'm a wh*re for the allmighty buck. If you do not like TPO's prices and products luckly you do not have to purchase them. I chose to not get their emissions kit and instead rolled my own. At no point did the police pull over my bike and write me a ticket for not buying TPO parts
;D

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I got the case breather, prompt service, no problems. Easier than trying to track things down myself.

I'd buy from him again.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
??? ???

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I got the case breather, prompt service, no problems. Easier than trying to track things down myself.

I'd buy from him again.
Most of his stuff is a rip-off... things you can pick up elsewhere and easily for a fraction of the price. Strange that a guy like you with seven bikes would be overpaying like that. Any idea what his markup is on the crankcase breather kit? And the emissions canister removal kit is a total joke...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love TPO products

I was interested in removing the emissions equipment on my late model Monster. After doing hours of research, I decided to install The TPO Monster Emissions Removal Kit. Let me tell you, I could not be happier. Sure, I could have purchased all the parts myself at my local hardware store for a very small fraction of the price TPO charges, but after reading on the very informative TPO website of the serious problems I could suffer, including binding of the rear brake, exhaust mounting problems, uncomfortable seating, and breakage of the rearset itself due to irregular loading, I decided not to take a chance, and ordered The TPO Monster Emissions Removal Kit direct from TPO. Customer service was top-notch. In fact, I could not have received my kit quicker, or had all my questions answered faster, if I was TPO's mother and the parts were being shipped out of my garage!

A very satisfied Shilly

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
It's just too strange... my biz has been around for like 7 years and I think I've got a strong reputation for outstanding customer service and I've never seen someone with 1 post come on and blab about Ca Cycleworks. I didn't think anything of it until it was brought up in the other thread... are you new folks being prompted by TPO to come here and post? It's just too strange. The way I've seen it usually work is that people come to me and say DML, not the other way around. ???

I think it's wrong to put down their products, because if people will pay money for a product, then to someone, it is worth that price. And if their prices are so rediculous, then no one will buy anything and they'll not stay in business. Also, to many people, buying a sorted solution is worth a lot... more than spending the time to go driving around to different stores looking for nuts, bolts, etc, to complete their project.

:) chris

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It's just too strange... my biz has been around for like 7 years and I think I've got a strong reputation for outstanding customer service and I've never seen someone with 1 post come on and blab about Ca Cycleworks. I didn't think anything of it until it was brought up in the other thread... are you new folks being prompted by TPO to come here and post? It's just too strange. The way I've seen it usually work is that people come to me and say DML, not the other way around. ???

I think it's wrong to put down their products, because if people will pay money for a product, then to someone, it is worth that price. And if their prices are so rediculous, then no one will buy anything and they'll not stay in business. Also, to many people, buying a sorted solution is worth a lot... more than spending the time to go driving around to different stores looking for nuts, bolts, etc, to complete their project.

:) chris
Maybe not from first time posters, but you get props all the time on this board. And rightly so...

And maybe you can't put down his products since you are also a vendor and perhaps it wouldn't really look good, but as a consumer, I'm free to voice my opinion. The problem with some of his products is that he preys on the inexperienced by adding in some ridiculous risks if you don't use them.

And the markup is in the absurd range. So it benefits a newbie if he's thinking about the product and finds out the real deal on this board, thereby saving him/her some coin.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
are you new folks being prompted by TPO to come here and post? It's just too strange.
C'mon... "Shilly"? I has to be a joke, right?

shill -

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
;D Thanks. I THOUGHT I saw a putty tat.

hehehe, actually, that's why I said "Sailers". Man, Scott is worse than a Pit Bull after a scooter tire about businesses doing "tricks".

:) Chris

When Cycleworks was a full time service shop, we had one customer that had a pit bull puppy and we'd save non-radial tires for Odie. That cute happy go lucky dog just wanted his tires. He loooooved tires.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I'll take that as a compliment. I think? It also means that if "I" am recommending ca-cycleworks then you must be doing something right.
Thank you, sir. And yes, that was a compliment. Man, the whole purpose of my Ducati "adventure" is about The Golden Rule... treating people the way I'd want to be treated. With earned respect and honesty. It's amazing to me how one little webpage talking about my Ducati has turned into what it is today.

OK, I'll shut up now... :) :)

Thanks,
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Other hand: it's pretty much universally agreed by the top duc tuners in the country that you lose power installing it. So tpo's claims on the breather performance gains are bs like most of his other stuff.
just curious how changing the breather would reduce power. The only difference between the factory setup and the k&n crankcase breather is where they vent to. Both vent to atmosphere pressure.
or by breather are you referring to the intake pods?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
just curious how changing the breather would reduce power. The only difference between the factory setup and the k&n crankcase breather is where they vent to. Both vent to atmosphere pressure.
or by breather are you referring to the intake pods?
This contains an email response I received from Jon Nichols about his own product, as well as opinions I culled from other posts.

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=14493

Before you get too distracted by Shiflan's (TPO's) complicated argument, here's another discussion where he argues quite forcefully that altitude has an insignificant effect on an engine's horsepower:

http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=18318

1 - 20 of 31 Posts