Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback or experience regarding the TPO Beast air intake system? I'm looking for an offseason project(s) to keep me busy. I'm looking at pipes too, just haven't made a decision as to which ones.

1st post:

03 M1000

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
The Beast is awesome IMHO & it only takes 20 or so minutes to install. You can do it in the AM & be out riding before lunch.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Well, all I can say is that my curve is SO much smoother now & I get to the power range SO much faster that I did before. Granted, I also had the air/fuel mixture adjusted after I did the intake. I am very pleased with how it rides. It is very smooth & sounds extreemly tough.
I did ride it with just the intake mod for two days but I didn't get on it to much until I got the leanness takes care of. I didn't do a dyno before & after each mod so I can't say for sure that it was better or worse with just the intake mod. But, by the seat of the pants it felt better during the riding that I did. It could have been completely psychological however.
It's necessary to also do some type of air/fuel mixture adjustment to ensure you are not running lean. Burning up the engine would definately be a bad thing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
My local shop just installed my K&N pods and a dyno jet kit. The owner of the shop was amazed at how much stronger and smoother the bike ran. The type of jet kit you use make a great deal of diff. as well.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
this is good news..I'm real interested in doing this to my bike. I'll wait till I can get my FCR's tho' :-D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Can this kit be installed on an 03 model bike (such as my 620ie) without remapping the computer? I have modified pipes and would like an intake set-up but there isn't a computer set-up yet to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
RedDuke:
Yes it will work on your 03' with no problem. However, you will want to go with a TFI Box or something that will adjust your air/fuel mixture to keep your bike from running lean. I mentioned the TFI because that is what I use & it is the least expensive option compared to a PowerCommander & the chip replacement.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Can ya gimme a round about figure $$$? I got an e-mail today from BCM and they said the new ecu is $650 plus shipping. Can we say "UMM...NO thank you!!"

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
The TFI Box will run you $250ish installed & dynoed. So, for me it was the most logical choice since I am not a "racer" do don't need the perfect map from the PowerCommander which is like $450. That aside, my new curve is pretty darn close to perfect as I could expect, @ least I think it is. I had mine installed by Chris @ Baltey Cycle in Maryland. He's a very good Ducati mechanic.

G

·
Ducatz,

How loud is your intake now after installing the TPO system. I'm worried I won't like the sound.

Thanks,
murry

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I love the sound. It is loud but man, it sounds good. I don't think it is too loud however. I was worried about that as well. You can just pull off your stock air box cover & ride it for a bit & that should sound about the same. I really like the intake sound.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Beast on order (Thanks Ducatz for telling me about this) for my M1000. Already got Sil Megaphones (105dB version) and a TFI box (put it on last week in prep for the beast) on the bike. The TFI was trivial to set up and with just the pipes done, the bike does feel smoother by a seat of the pants measure. I hope the pods show up soon. I will report back after I put them on the M1000. I'll probably dyno the bike after putting them on (too lazy to dyno it before as a comparo), partially to see if I set up the TFI correctly, and partially to see what the power is at.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Sweet, good luck HIT! Let us know how it works out. I know you're gonna love the sound of the intake. I know I do.
Glad that you were happy with the advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts