Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TPO site says that the kit is for 2002-2003 Monsters....has anyone had any luck installing this (or similar pod filter kits) on a 2000 M900?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm assuming you have a FI bike? If not the try the K&N pod filter route.

S

·
0 Posts
the TPO intake system is actually a decent product i think. but it's price is through the roof! pod filters can be had for relatively short $$$ at www.ca-cycleworks.com, but don't include the velocity stacks that make the TPO kit different. would i pay $300 for it? nope.
i'd just cut open the airbox and drop in a panel filter for $50 and use the $250 for other mods, like a nichols flywheel or put the money toward rims.
or just get pod filters if you want to save $$ and go with the look. you'd still save an arm an a leg for other stuff.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I will be putting on two K&N's today with a cut airbox. I will try and post pictures later.
BTW Strati I knew you sounded like a youngster, but not
<------------------THAT young. ;) ;)
-Patrick

S

·
0 Posts
BTW Strati I knew you sounded like a youngster, but not
<------------------THAT young. ;) ;)
-Patrick
thanks pat! the avatar pic's actually my son. he's the best reason i have to not go nuts during my monster's winter slumber.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
haha no problem man. I can't wait till I get a boy of my own so I can tell him what NOT to do.

In the meantime, here is the twin filters I installed today on top of my FCR's. They aren't pods but I think they look bad a$$!!! Strati you are running the same set up right?

-Patrick

·
Registered
287 Posts
maybe a can of worms, but I was looking at the picture above and with no airbox, there seems to be nothing in the way between the world and the filters, so...

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Well my opinion/answer to your question is that
1. I don't ride in the rain, and the bike is garaged, so no chance of water entering. The new filters are tucked farther back and the gas tank acts as a umbrella when the bike is sitting still, when the bike is moving then, yeah I guess you'd have problems with water.
2. The way those filters are set up is pretty much RAM AIR. Just like you said, there is nothing in their way so, there is nothing obstructing air to flow straight through the carbs to the filter. With the airbox gone, there is alot more open space between the frame too, so air can get to the engine for cooling easier, and to the filters. T

The thing I like about this setup is you don't have to remove everything to get the airbox out. I HATED removing the airbox just to turn a screw on the carbs. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore.

-Patrick

S

·
0 Posts
haha no problem man. I can't wait till I get a boy of my own so I can tell him what NOT to do.
careful what you wish for!! let's just say my wife and i affectionately refer to my son as "the boss".

In the meantime, here is the twin filters I installed today on top of my FCR's. They aren't pods but I think they look bad a$$!!!
actually, those ARE pod-filters. they're not conical shape, but yep... they're pods.

Strati you are running the same set up right?
very similar. i mounted my pods on the s4's velocity stacks. had to turn down the "flare" of the trumpets a bit to fit the pods on but here they are:

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Ok pods, Man those "pods" look cool strati. I have always wanted to do the pod mod and once I saw your bike on they went. And yet another mod on my bike that was influenced by strati. Like those bar end turn signals? Yeah... wonder where that idea came from?

-Patrick

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do the "Pods" really do that much more than just an open air box?

S

·
0 Posts
hey thanks for the comment. i try to post some info on everything my s4's had done, but i'll readily admit that there's a LOT of info related to "phaseII" (its current state) that i need to post. i'll try to get on it!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Here's the setup on a 750 carb'd bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The filters that wheelieman used to be on my 750SS and Irode in the rain all the time and had no problems with water. They look pretty good. Strati what size filters did you put on your S4. Thinking of doing that mod I dont care for the filter that goes with the stock airbox.

S

·
0 Posts
i got the k&n pods from ca-cycleworks.com (run by lister chris kelley). they're listed as:

K&N pod filter, for FCRs / CVs ru1750 (pair) part# 005-176
like i mentioned, i had to turn down the intake ends of the velocity stacks a bit to fit them. wouldn't be a bad idea to pickup a spare pair from a 916 (they'll fit) off eBay "just in case" you change your mind and revert to the airbox.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Just throwing this out there to be annoying.

I LOVE the look of the pod filters, and it makes sense to ME that they should work bad ass and there should really be no bad side. That being said, I've been told quite a few times that removing the airbox actually can decrease performance, as things are set to have an airbox?

Decrease in performance was never clarified to me if I remember right. They could have meant the power CURVE, perhaps it's not as smooth?

I had "pods" on a Yamaha Banshee 2 stroke Quad (perhaps not relative AT ALL to our monsters?), and I saw no ill effects. IT seemed to rev up faster, and in general be more responsive. When I sold it the person buying it wanted the airbox back so he could install it, he claimed that the pods actually removed power and hurt performance.

LIke I said, I don't know the truth, or pretend to. I'm hoping someone can definitivly inform me if putting pods on my Carb'd 750 will hurt anything? With the pods I'm "guessing" more air gets in at speed than with the airbox, which would remain more or less "pressurized" with the same ammount of air at all times. DO you need to tweak with the jets to account for this? ONce that is done, and you have more air and fuel going in at speed, do you need to up your ignition stuff to help light the more intense mixture?

I'm not a mechanic, and if there is no DECREASE in power or power delivery then I'm doing it ASAP!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I heard the same thing about decrease in performance, the main reason being, "these bikes are set up to run with that air box" But what does that mean? I really don't see how the pods could decrease performance. I dyno'd with them on and the curve was smooth and linear. It looks so killer too!

-Patrick

BTW I'm a senior member now:) what does that mean? haha Do I get a cookie?

M

·
0 Posts
Just bolted on TPO's with a PCIII. There is a slight difference between the TPO's and just plugging on K&N's. TPO has these machined velocity stacks which they claim improve power. I compared them to the air box stacks and they look very very similar.

I will say this, power aside, the engine revs much quicker and smoother than with the factory airbox/filter. I'll have to ride a lot more to determine if I gained anything else. Theory would dictate than more air, and fuel, would improve high end HP. I doubt these do much for torque.

If any of you are handy you could try cutting the stacks out of the factory FI airbox and making a pair. I still wonder how different a openairbox w/ k&n vs the beast would really be. If anything very slight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts