Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not happy with only 2,900 miles out of my rear tire (D207RR). I'm 49, don't go to the track, and I don't ride like I'm 25. What will give the longest life with reasonable stick for sport-tour riding? Considered MEZ4s but read they only go 4K-5K. Ran D220s on my last bike and barely got 5K.

G

·
I ride with a guy who's 40 something, he rides a VFR with Michelin Pilot Road tires, and gets about 6000 miles out of them. They have good wet and dry grip.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can second the recommendation for Michelin's "Pilot Road" tires. I have a set on my Triumph Sprint and they're terrific.

I was at my local Ducati dealer over the weekend and I happened to notice that the new ST3 that he has is shod with Pilot Roads...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'm sold on the Bridgestone BT-020 as the best combination of stickiness and longevity. It's well behaved when cold and definitely has better traction than the other sport touring tire I tried, the Macadam 90X.

Some people put a BT-020 on the front and others use a BT-010. I've tried it both ways. The BT-020 is more stable but slower steering. The BT-010 wears out faster. I currently have a BT-010 on the front.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Pilot Roads. I put 'em on last spring and have about 6k miles on the front (I took a nail in the rear at about 2000 miles and replaced so it now has only 4k)

I'm expecting way more than 6k out of these. I haven't done a track day on 'em. That will surely cost me some miles. I think w/o track days, they'll be good for 10k mi.

I had 9k on my Dunlop D204s (stock tires) when I changed to the Michelins. The 204s had nearly no tread in back at that point and they pretty much sucked anyway. I LOVE the grip of the Pilot Roads. I sincerely believe they stick well enough for all but the most sociopathic road riders ;)

Oh yeah, they're confidence inspiring in the wet too.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I love my Avon AV 45/46 ST tires. They look like they are going to go 6K on the rear. Three track days (one wet session) and 2K street miles so far. They stick good enough I just got a knee down Saturday and they are great in the wet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
First of all this is as loaded question as engine oil is.
I know am going to get a lot of fire on this one.. but the last Michelin Pilot sport 170 on my rear gave me about 12k. Ofcourse by the time I took it off I could actually see the white chords of the tire :). I ride like a maniac..yea and am 27 :). Pilot Roads I heard go even longer.
Seriously though for few extra miles I prefer better performance over longevity.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I didn't see Anil's 12k Pilot Sport, but I heard about it :p

About the same time, Miles emailed me a couple photos of his rear tire-----cord showing. Fortunately, he replaced the tires before crashing.....

You guys like it out there on the edge.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Laura got 9k out of a set of Michelin Macadam 100s, she might have gotten a bit more, but she rides about 140 miles a day on the freeway, so they got flat in the middle. The Pilot Road is the replacement for the Mac 100, so she switched to those.

She also did a track day on the Mac 100s as well as a day on her new Pilot roads and they are more than sticky enough for novice track days.

I can't seem to keep a tire unpunctured (or the bike in one piece) long enough to wear out a set of tires. I had a set of Mac 100s for commuting, but since my tires are only averaging about 1500 miles between nails and screws, I'm just going for Sportecs now. :)

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Has anyone tired the new Metzler Z6 sport touring tires??

They are advertised to be 20% stickier than the popular Z4s.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Johnny - I'm using the Contiforce tires on my red monster & Guzzi. Both of these bikes have limited ground clearence & HP & these tires provide all the stick you'll ever need. In addition, they are a silica tire (like the pilot road) which gives you good stick in the wet. They are on sale in a lot a places now & you should be able to get a set for about $175.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The MEZ6 was recommended to me by my dealer. He said it's replacing the MEZ4. The 6 is supposed to be a dual compound, harder center, softer sides I guess. Cost is the same. I'd never heard of using two compounds but it makes sense.

The miser in me is leaning toward a Diablo and free front. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Pirelli GTS MTR 23 and 24.

Well I am in 20000kms, changed these after Michelin Pilot Sports after 9000kms. Now I need to change the back.
So I take out also the front, which is very good still,
and put both ends with Pirelli Diablos I think.

GTS is for touring and good rain grip.

Skier

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
The MEZ6 was recommended to me by my dealer. He said it's replacing the MEZ4. The 6 is supposed to be a dual compound, harder center, softer sides I guess. Cost is the same. I'd never heard of using two compounds but it makes sense.The miser in me is leaning toward a Diablo and free front. :D
I was looking for the Z6, but could only find the Z4?? That was online.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
There are sooo many different brands out there, I thought I had it narrowed down to the Michelin Pilot Sport, now the Metzler Z6 looks good. I just can't decide.

The Metzler is fairly pricey tho....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dunlop D220 sport/touring and it's ZR rated. Good wet/dry tire with great mileage potential and still a decently aggressive tire.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My D220's have been good but not great tires. Little squirrelly in the rain, although the worst may have been due to tar strips on a seriously twisty road. They're @ 5K, will make it to 6K or more. Front tire has started to cup pretty badly though.

I'm waiting for my free Diablo front to show ;D After that it's more Diablo's or the Pilot Road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts