Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the monster a good bike for touring?

Some people would say just get a touring bike, but who wants a drive around a fairing on wheels?

What do you highly monster expirienced riders think about using it to tour on?

Is there any compatible luggage available for the Monster?

Is it comfortible enough to ride long distances continually on?

Any other considerations you can think of are also welcome ...what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've done rides up to 400 miles in one day, mostly backroads. I'm not sure I would want to do it day after day. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well, DP has hard bags for the Monster. They're basically the same as the ST2/ST4 bags. The brackets are, IMO, pretty ugly when the bags aren't attached, and are fairly involved to install/remove.

There are many soft saddlebag options as long as you have low mount cans. Many seat bags, many tanks bags. Zero Gravity has a taller windshield that replaces the stock windshield (at least on later Monsters).

The stock seat may be considered uncomfortable for long distances. The good news is that the size of the tank will limit how long you'll be on the bike at any one time.

Bottom line, I'm at least planning some long weekend type trips on my M1000S.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The major complaint is the seat, which can be replace by DP (wich I think is a Corbin seat), Corbin, or Sargent. I think the Sargent looks the best, but I have heard good things about all of them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
when I had my 900ss i had a corbin seat and I did a two week ride from FortWayne Indiana to Los Cruces, New Mexico up through colorado then back to FortWayne.

That was a bullish move, but what saved me was a piece of the Taxi cab seat cover stuff...the wooden beads....that made all the difference...

I dont think I will ever ride that far again, but what a blast...

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
I rode 10,300km (6000miles) last August from Toronto to Sata Fe, up through Co., Wy., Mt., to Calgary and then turned east home in 13 days. I rode many 12 hr. days and a 16 hr. day the final day, just to get home.
had saddle bag with a tent and sleeping bag strapped across the back seat and tank bag, which was good to lie on sometimes. A throttle lock helps to let you relax your wrist and forearm. I'm 5'9, but I think if you were any taller, comfort would be an issue. I got used to the stock seat and did'nt notice it after a few days. The bike (01 m900 cromo) ran great even with riding 12 hrs straight for 3 days throught the hottest heatwave in Kansas, Missourri and Oklahoma, in 70 yrs, although I did get some burn through in the exhaust packing which blistered to quarter size patches on the inside of each exhaust. I rode about a half day with a pasenger, which sucked and was uncomfortable. Even though I have a small bikini fairing, it does'nt block much wind, but you get used to it after a couple days. I listened to music on the headphones which kept me sane, but made hearing things around me difficult (state troopers wanting to pull me over) but the bike is too loud to ride that long without ear plugs or a music on the headset.
These are just some random thoughts and I will probably do a long trip like this every summer. I know I would be much more comfortable on a sport touring bike (st4) but hey, it's all about how you look not how comfortable you are....right?....right?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
You'd have to be a pitbull to pull off something like that.

Regards,
AC

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
All in all I think the wind protection is the biggest factor. If you ride at anything near a high speed the wind will get tiresome after a while. This is where a sport tourer comes in and Monsters are not so good.

On the highway the bike runs smooth. The riding position is upright enough to be comfortable. The bike has good power for HWY speeds. You can always add aftermarket saddle bags, napsack, tankbag etc. But you can do this for pretty much anybike.

If you do go this way, get a better seat (I have not yet but intend to). Ride with ear plugs it will help reduce the fatigue from the wind noise. Also get good rain gear (Gortex or somehting like it, I use my snowboarding gear).

jl

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I recently had a wonderful 200 mile day. S4 bars are a little low but not too bad for sport touring. I like the firm seat. My Honda seats were mushy with little support. A weekend is long enough though. I have not used my bags on this bike but I have a tank bag and a tail bag that have worked great for weekends, 2 nights out.

Longer than a weekend, I'd want something with better wind protection and a little more planted on highways: BMW RT, Honda ST1100, and the like.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got a DP touring seat which has gel inserts beneath the cover and it's comfy to ride all day on. The rack, tent etc I'll have on later in the year will make a centre stand neccessary so I've ordered one. I found the bike was unstable on the side stand with only a tailpack on.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I tour. A lot. Not on the Monster. The KLR got 30,000 miles in two years and the VFR now has 16,000 miles in a year and a half that overlapped the KLR. Compared to the Monster, those are comfortable, long-legged bikes.

That aside, there's no reason not to ride a Monster anywhere you want to go. If touring is your main thing though, there are far better mounts. Range is very limited and comfort isn't exactly a Monster's forte.

But in the end, ride what you got.

-Don

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats all great info, thanks. I'm planning a road trip to head off towards the end of this summer, I want to circle the US starting from new england I have no set lenth but I'm gonna do it on a monster. I'd love to hook up with any monster riders on the way and cruise for awhile I'll be sure a post my progress and where abouts/game plan when I begin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
. . . I'm planning a road trip to head off towards the end of this summer, I want to circle the US starting from new england I have no set lenth but I'm gonna do it on a monster. . .I'll be sure a post my progress and where abouts/game plan when I begin.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Rans0m: As a few have mentioned, the lack of wind protection is what really wears you down. Everything else is comfortable provided you're not too tall, but that wind is a killer. Somebody else mentioned small gas tank. You will need to stop every 21/2 t0 3 hrs for fuel, depending on how fast you ride.
My other advice would be to print out a list of U.S ducati dealerships in case of emergency and make sure you have AAA.
Best of luck and try to get some time in the rockies.. it will be worth the effort

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Be sure to put Birmingham, AL on your southern leg. We have a world class track and motorcycle musem (Barbers Motorsports), a cool motorcycle lodge (29Dreams.com) and 2 Ducati dealerships. We are in the foothills of the Apalachians and have nice twisties.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ok I really repeat myself, but I love this topic.
I do use motorcycle for worktrips, only because I cannot travel during when I have no holiday, so when is holiday time, I will tour on on my HD or on my Monster, and now Monster 1000 is solo in my garage.

So last summer I did Toscana Italia to Arctic Circle Rovaniemi In Finland. I did on my 3 week holiday over 8000kms. 4,5 days to go up, 4 days to come down via Sweden.

Just the standard fairing as in the S model. The powerful and wonderful 1000DS engine. No problems what so ever. Low consumption. Just all ok. Lots of rain in Germany.120-150km/h in a autobahn. No problems. Tank bag, and tube bag in the rear.No saddle bags. Gear Spidi waterproof breathable.

Also during 95 I went with my wife and a friend from Dallas to Rapid City. On a harley.

I think Monster is good to go for ever kind of travel and touring. The question is ARE YOU ?

I just like to travel.

Peace, Skier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think Monster is good to go for ever kind of travel and touring. The question is ARE YOU ?
Very well put Skier.

I also love this topic and plan on doing a LONG ride in the summer. I'm thinking 3 days min. I would like to do it with just saddle bags and a tank bag.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts