Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done a long ride on their monster? As in one or two weeks or more. I was reading an article in bike about just taking off on your bike and it sounded fun. I want to. The problems that I can think of would be servicing, parts and reliability. It's no goldw*ng, but I think it could be made relatively comfortable for a long haul with an aftermarket seat. Any ideas. I'm in the midwest. Going out to the Pacific coast highway, from LA to Washington or farther sounds like a good way to blow off a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've only done a couple of long day rides, nothing extended.

There's a lady in the San Francisco bay area that rides the wheels off her Monster. I'm pretty sure she's done real long rides.

http://www.tigerracing.net

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know if this counts as a long ride being as Scotland would probably fit inside Texas, but I rode round my country one weekend on my m900. The only worry I had was where the next petrol pump was, as I rolled into Bettyhill with an egg cup of gas left. No luggage, not even a toothbrush since I had no plans on kissing anyone, did about 1200 miles in three days. Nae bother.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went 350 miles in one day with a couple of breaks and some lunch, but........I felt like someone beat my a$$ with a bat.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
900 mile weekends are no problem. I haven't done more than that but I wouldn't hesitate to start off on a longer ride.

I guess oil and tire changes might be an issue depending on how recently you had them done before you left.

If you went on a REALLY long ride I guess valve adjustments could be an issue, but unless the bike was new, I would wait until I got home to have them looked at.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Anything over 200 miles in one day is just too much for me on a Monster. On the one 300 mile ride I did, I was hating the last 100 miles. Maybe it's better for shorter people.

Now that I have an ST2, I'll try some longer rides. I'm hoping to make a one day trip to Yosemite and back as soon as the pass at the east end is open.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I use Tour Master soft saddle bags and a BIG Tour Master (Cortech) tank bag.

I always throw in a few tools just in case, some chain lube, a couple of rags and some Plexus to clean my visor. I also take my clear visor wrapped up in a old T-shirt so I can see at night. Spare fuses. Cable ties.

On a longer ride, I would take some spray cleaner to help with the bugs on the bike and an old towel. And maybe a little oil.

Clothes? Several t-shirts, pair of jeans, pair of shorts and tennis shoes. Good idea to have a full set of clothes in case your riding gear gets wet and needs to dry. I also take rain gear and covers for the bags.

As far as I am concerned you could always stop at just about any dealership for a chain adjustment, tires or an oil change.

S

·
0 Posts
Good news mate, with the Monster you got your self a touring bike. I live I Norway and travel to Austria every summer. In 2002 I was at the Wold Ducati Week in Misano. From Oslo to Kiel Germany I go by the car ferry. Then from Kiel to Misano the distance is 1.512 Km. I have never had any problems with long journeys on my Monster. The fuel consumption on Ze Autobahn (Germany) is surprisingly low at speeds around 140 Km/h so the bike has a good range too.
I use Oxford Lifetime panniers and magnetic tank bag and I have added the standard Monster handlebar fairing. It works well at height speed, you really need it.
I would recommend the Ducati hard luggage set, packing and unpacking will then be so much easier. I have Dunlop D207 tires and carry with me a set of fuses and spare light bulbs. Most important, always check your oil level after a days hard ride, always.
Safe ride.

Slim

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Haven't toured on a Monster, but have on a KLR650. Big tank bag and Revpack tail bag will hold enough to go around the world. Your main problem will be that of tank range. I remember one stretch in Texas where there was no gas for 136 miles. That's dicey on a Monster. Buy a cheap plastic one gallon can and carry it with.

Daily mileage is subjective. The seat on the Monster is not nice for long stuff, but depending on roads, speed weather, etc, I don't think a thousand mile day is undoable. (Haven't checked the Iron Butt list, but it's probably been done several times.) Aspirin is the long distance rider's friend.

Don't make too many plans, get on the bike, and ride. You'll love it.

-Don

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
bring the little red book with all the ducati dealers in it, just in case. they're in zip code order. :-/

it came in handy when i lowsided in the middle of vermont..

some kind of fairing/windscreen and a throttle rocker make covering miles easier, too.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
By the way, I take the cowl off my seat and just lay the saddlebags over the seat and go cowl-less. The straps for the bags go under the seat to the frame rails perfectly.

I also run two bungee cords over the tops of the bags for additional support (less stress on the zippers) and they are there to strap something else on top of the seat/bags if I need it (like the gas can mentioned above).

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Last spring I rode from SF->LA and back. The way down was on Hwy 1 and it was spectacular. Most of the way back was inland and just as good, with the exception of the parts that were on concrete freeway. The expansion joints just beat you to death on the monster.

Nothing too special by way of prep. I used a Marsee tankbag and RKA saddlebags. I had a Sargent seat which IMBO* made a huge difference. On the stock seat I'd have to agree with Scott Nelson (perhaps though for different reasons). I also had a Dart flyscreen, which was nice, but probably not essential. Don's right, if you pack carefully you can get by with a tankbag and big tailbag, but I liked having the room to carry all my raingear and other stuff.

*In my butt's opinion

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Anything over 200 miles in one day is just too much for me on a Monster.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Has anyone ever done a long ride on their monster? As in one or two weeks or more. I was reading an article in bike about just taking off on your bike and it sounded fun. I want to. The problems that I can think of would be servicing, parts and reliability. It's no goldw*ng, but I think it could be made relatively comfortable for a long haul with an aftermarket seat.
Did a one week trip (roughly 2000 miles) and didn't encounter any bike problems - the tires of course wear out when you do lots of freeway droning. I topped the oil a couple of times during the trip; carrying spare bulbs, fuses, chain lube and some tools (also tire repair kit) is a good idea. I found the stock seat to be OK for days up to 400-500 miles or so (I did have one 800 mile day, which was getting pretty painful in the end). Some pics and stuff of this trip are on
http://www.loshombres.org/californication/moab/moab.html

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Do many of you carry a tire repair kit on longer rides? Anybody had to actually use one on the road and how did it work out?

Just curious...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao,

I did almost 3500 in four days, 8000 totally on my trip from Italy to Finland.

All went well.

Good bike, tube back in the back seat and tank bag in front.
Some pics at Skier folder.

Skier

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Jeez Scott.... I had a lot of respect for you, but you're sounding like a pussy here!

I haven't done big back to back days, but I've done a number of 300+ mi days. My longest was probably 365. Sure I was tired, but not hatin'. I'm 6'1".
I'm the same height and my knees start to bother me after they've been folded up for too many hours. That and my backside begins to send out pain signals, even though I was riding on a Corbin seat. Part of that might have been the riding pants I was using.

There is a little more legroom on the ST2 and I now have different riding pants. In a few months I'll report back on how the long distance riding works out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts