Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I just got done reading the thread about touring on a monster and was blown away. It sounds like a lot of fun. With questions about gear and luggage aside, what do you all think of a rookie doing something like this. I've been riding for about 6 months on my 620. It is my first bike. I don't think I'm skilled enough to trek across the country, but I'm real interested in maybe crossing some state lines. If I rode within my limit and didn't hotdog it, does it sound like a good or bad idea?

T

·
0 Posts
skill comes with experience, so

the more you ride, the more you get.

state lines?

if we brits wanna go anywhere, its international borders for us. :eek:

just get out and RIDE
;)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I agree. The more you ride the more experience you gain. I would suggest limiting your riding to maybe 4 to 6 hours at the most (maybe 300 miles max). Remember to stay well hydrated. If you don't it can effect your concentration and you will get tired more quickly. Pick routes that don't stray too far off the beaten path.

If you can, invest in an emergency road service like AAA Premier. It costs a bit more but it covers towing up to 100 miles plus hotel and other costs due to travel problems.

Don't forget tools, a flashlight and other essentials.

Happy Riding!!

Uncle_Duck

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can, invest in an emergency road service like AAA Premier. It costs a bit more but it covers towing up to 100 miles plus hotel and other costs due to travel problems. Any idea how reliable my ducati card would be in regards to towing?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Didn't think of that... ::) I haven't had cause to need either AAA or the DOC road service... Maybe someone on the list has had experience with them.

Uncel_Duck

·
Registered
571 Posts
if we brits wanna go anywhere, its international borders for us. :eek:

Speak for yourself ;)

Its State lines where this Brit lives ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Aspirin, a tinted faceplate (or shades) for the day, clear for night, avoid caffiene, eat lightly and wear earplugs. Check in to a motel when you're done or hallucinating, whichever comes first, but neither push nor limit your miles. Check oil level every third gas stop, lube the chain and check the tire pressure every morning. Ride a hundred miles before breakfast.

Interstates are for getting somewhere, but other roads are for enjoying the trip.

-Don

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
May i suggest to keep a steady speed ,not to high because you will get tired soon ,especially from the air flow.Believe in yourself when riding but don't overestimate yor skills.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get those ducati hard touring bags. They are big enough to pack a few necessities so you wont get anxious. I tour a decent amount and they rock. They do add weight but top speed is not what you are looking for when touring. Also get one of those wrist fatigue thinghys that attaches to your handlebars that they sell on ebay. Get a partner and go to daytona for bike week. Take a week off and ride and explore america. You wont be sorry.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Anybody try the AMA MOTOW or Help N Hands service? Looks like good ideas but I was wondering if anyone has experience with them?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have AAA "Plus RV". It covers motorcycles and its a terrific deal.

Last year, the clutch cable on my Triumph parted while I was on the road. I didn't want to get tricky and attempt to ride clutchless, so I used my cell phone (another "must-have"...) to call AAA.

Within half an hour, two guys drove up in a nice rig. They tilted the bed, slid a special pallet down onto the roadway, loaded my bike onto the pallet and then loaded the pallet onto the truck.

When we got to the local Triumph dealer, the operation was reveresed and that was that. No drama and not so much as a scratch or a smudge on the bike.

Check it out... ;)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Depending on where you live, you might get started with some 1/2 day rides locally, just to get a feel for the bike and what it takes to stay on it for any length of time. Then work up to full day rides and then do an overnighter or two. For overnighters you'll need a good tank bag at a minimum. On a naked bike the wind will beat you up pretty bad, depending on your speed, so take breaks frequently (the range on the Monser will keep you to about 130 miles anyway) and stop to smell the roses. Take a cell phone, if nothing else, at least you can call for whatever you need. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm really enjoying it. Keep it coming! I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to get out and do this! At least to some degree for starters. Think I'll start out with some all day rides and then work my way up to over nighters. At some point, I wanna meet up with some of you folks around the US. (Sorry, riding to Europe is still proving tricky ;)) So please, keep the advice coming. I've been checking everymorning and night. As soon as I can sneak away from work and really enjoy a full day, I'm getting started. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts