Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been asked alot on here, so I'm not even going to try and find all the threads.

My red seat cowl got scratched so I went searching for an easiely found touch up paint. I found a color - both spray can and brush tip - that matches pretty damn close.

The paint is for a mid 90s Toyota Duplicolor part# 88-01560 (for the spray can) Super Red II

When matched up against the stock color, it's the shine that gives it away, NOT the color of the red.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Is that more shine or less? I had mine custom matched and wound up with a little less shine. Had it put in a spray can and did the plastic hugger. Color is great, but a little less shine than the tank and the seat cover.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
www.color-rite.com.

They will have the exact match you are looking for and will put it into spray can or brush. Great service and matching colors for all Ducati.

·
Registered
505 Posts
64duc said:
Is that more shine or less? I had mine custom matched and wound up with a little less shine. Had it put in a spray can and did the plastic hugger. Color is great, but a little less shine than the tank and the seat cover.
Did you clearcoat it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a little less shine that the factory paint. I'm actually still working w/ it so I hope to get it closer w/ some buffing.

I haven't clearcoated it. Still haven't decided if I'm going to or not. I guess I'll see how it turns out after I get some wax on it to decide.

As to Color-rite, I know their paint will probably match closer. I'm just cheap and this was something I picked up at the local Pepboys.

I guess in the end it depends on what you have to touch-up as to what to use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used the Toyota Duplicolor part# 88-01560 on my 2014 M696 frame and it matched perfectly. I used it on my tank and it was darker than stock. Just a note. Do not remove paint from any molded plastic parts with lacquer thinner. It will soften and mar the finish.

·
Registered
943 Posts
When trying to touch stuff up, sometimes it is an issue of the original paint having faded.
I removed some decals and stickers only to find it left a little darker spot where they used to be. Parts like the top of the tail will fade more than other areas. My Color Rite Red was darker than most of my bike, but it did match lower areas that don’t get direct sun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts