1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'd say it's a scam, except the seller seems to be pretty legit.

i wonder if he'd take a '00 m900, and my eternal gratitude as part of an "...or best offer." [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought it smelled scammy too. But if you use Paypal, you're safe. Maybe he doesn't allow Paypal. I'd have to look again. Somebody try and buy it, then let us know how it turns out. If it is legit, then somehow there's, like, $7,000 that somebody's losing fast because that's a $13,000 bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
what will probably happen it that the bike is in "insert foreign country here" and needs to be shipped back to the states...please dont use my ebay account to email me and lets do a western union money transfer because my account is "acting up"

but if it's not that...that's a sweet deal. i'd jump on it if i wasn't already broke :embarassed:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, I emailed him and 5 minutes later I got this:

"HELLO, GLAD YOU CONTACTED ME, THIS IS A FAKE AUCTION, SOMEONE HACKED MY ACCOUNT, IGNOR IT DO NOT RESPONE, OR SEND ANY MONEY..."

Figures. And to think I was starting to get wood.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
the page now says, in huge letters:

THIS AUCTION IS FAKE, DON'T RESPONCE OR SEND MONEY!!!!!

i would guess that responce is meant to be respond. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
If it seems to good to be true.... then it's another tardly scammer wasting server space somewhere and tainting our god-given right to a free market internet.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
That Nice Guy Beck said:
paypal is a f&*cking SCAM f*ck PAYPAL
I would never ever use paypal again.
What happened to you with paypal?

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
That Nice Guy Beck said:
paypal is a f&*cking SCAM f*ck PAYPAL
I would never ever use paypal again.

+1 zillion!!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
yeah never send cash or use western union or other outfits like that for your transactions. I was an idiot not too long ago and did this. Someone was selling something that was 6 times its worth. So I was going to get it and turn right around and sell it. They advertised as using ebay square trade. It looked very legit and had all the legal and guarantee, money back...yadda yadda. They suckered me.

So, if you do find something like this I say allow yourself to get suckered... or make it seem you're going along with it. Call the FBI and see if they'll get involved. They have to show up to the western union you send the money to and if the law enforcers are willing to enforce the law they could catch the bum in the act.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this is a scam, but it helps to spark conversation on the topic.

Two things: To those who say "never use paypal" please say why? I guess you guys are through with eBay too? I have had good experiences on eBay and using Paypal.

To the guy who shared being ripped off, thank you for the heads up about the Western Union scam/ and never send cash. That helps us all be smarter.

Lastly, why can't you push a button and make all the evil people simply disappear forever?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Paypal is not a ripoff, but it is also not 100% safe. They exaggerate their fraud protection to build consumer confidence, and Ebay "squaretrade" means nothing. The only thing you can tell from feedback information and all the little stars and titles Ebay gives/sells to its sellers is whether or not they are likely to ship quickly or not.

As far as whether its a scam? That is a matter of whether the account has been hacked or not, and has nothing to do with feedback at all. Therefore, statements like this are very very wrong:

zarn02 said:
i'd say it's a scam, except the seller seems to be pretty legit.
If it's a really really good deal it's always a scam.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
okemos said:
But if you use Paypal, you're safe.
Industrial_Grrrl said:
so not true!! ... i've learned the hard way.
I continue to use ebay and paypal sparingly but I'm much more wary now, and only deal with sellers I've used in the past. Which is good because I've been saving $$ and spending less of it on my monster.

It is a misconception that paypal is safe, here is one way I learned how:

seller sells something they dont have on ebay.
buyer sends payment via paypal
paypal sends payment into sellers bank account.
seller takes all the money out of bank account right after it appears
buyer waits for item to be shipped and then realizes something is wrong and contacts paypal
paypal replies and says "we're sorry but there's no money to refund you in the bank account.. case closed."

In my situation I got $114 refunded from the original $300 I sent. I got the 100 back only because I was quicker than the others that the person scammed as well. So other people never got ANYTHING refunded. SO the whole paypal is guaranteed for $1000 is a SCAM!!!!!

best of luck
michelle

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Honestly, you only get suckered by those situations if youre a newb on ebay. Its all about feedback and response from the seller if you ask them questions. I also like to go back through their past auctions and see what they sold and see how many of the same people left them feedback on what items. If theres a whole slew of unusual high priced items I question it. Also question when theres tons of positive feedback on the same item by the same person at different times. Its all about being smart and you will be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
I had been using ebay since 1998 both as a seller and buyer. Probably 100 transactions, from small items to big ones (my dirtbike) I was only burned the one time I described.

1. The point of my reply about PayPal, is to warn people that it doesn't protect you like you think it does, so don't use it as a safety net. This is what I did wrong. If your gut tells you something is fishy about an auction, stay away. Granted I still use it (for ebay, here on DML, new enough etc.) and hate all the fees they take but it's the quickest way to transfer money.

2. As far as emailing the person, whats to stop someone from lying in an email???

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michelle and others, thank you for the heads up about Paypal. That is new information that I did not know before. It gets my spidey senses tingling.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
so in the above scenario, paypal is somehow worse than sending your money directly to the seller? if you're going to get ripped off, you're going to get ripped off.

i've been using paypal occasionally for 5 years. i guess to HyperM3's point i've only ever used it on things i was confident of. and, minus the convenience fees, i've had 100% good experiences.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.