Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo on my 696 was working intetermittently. Probably the poor connection next to the rear electrics connector down near the end of the brake pedal. Pulled up at lights, gave a quick prod around (this has worked before!). Without warning, everything shuts down. Everything. Is it possible I did this, or just a coincidence? Getting it home is going to be problematic at the moment, though it's not far away. Anything I should check? I know I'll have to check battery connections and earth but any other ideas?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check that the harness is fully connected to the ECU and back of the instrument panel. Very wierd problem, how old is your battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 8 months! Will check the things you advised . Just that the weather is crap, the bike is on a busy street a couple of miles away and you have to dismantle most of the bike just to get to the batterry!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there another fuse aprt from the ones in the little plastic box accessible from outside?

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you have a multimeter it might be worth checking the batt voltage too. The only connection near the brake pedal is for the rear brake lights and the oil temp sensor. Unless there is a short I don't think that is your problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
gave a quick prod around (this has worked before!). Without warning, everything shuts down. Everything. Is it possible I did this,
well, yes, it's possible, as said, there may be a problem or short near that connection and messing with it blew the main fuse.

If the main is in fact blown, take a couple of new main fuses with you, if it blows again straight away, then try disconnect the plug you were messing with.
especially look for bare or broken wires touching. If it remains intact (fuse) then leave plug alone.
At least get it home. easier at home than on a street to sort it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, that's very useful. I'll look for this fuse. Under the seat? Is it a standard, easily available fuse? 30 amp? If that's just the issue, I could get the bike going!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I arrived at the bike with a bag of tools then realised I'd not brought an assortment of Allen /hex keys for the tank. Ended up having it recovered to my garage and YES, it was the 30 amp fuse under the tank! Damn silly place to put it🙄. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ended up having it recovered to my garage and YES, it was the 30 amp fuse under the tank! Damn silly place to put it🙄. Thanks for everyone's help.
Next step is to make sure you know why it happened so you aren't stuck in the same position again. Do you still have the bad fuse by chance? a picture may give us more info to work off of

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately I threw it away. I think it's to do with the speedo/ rear light / brake light connectors. I was fiddling with them at the time because the speedo connector's been unreliable since I got the bike, but I can't tell why. Thanks for the offer, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts