Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, guys I need help removing my top tripple clamp. Gonna pout the new CycleCat tripple on it. How do I

a) take it off ? What tolls do I need ? (stock S4)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the clamp is like the 03, just loosen the pinch bolts on the fork tubes and head bearing, then tap it off from underneath with a plastic headed hammer. Pops right off. No experience with pre 02 models, though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about hte big nut looking thing on the top middle ?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's just a slot with a ring of holes around it, it's not holding the clamp on. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the pre-02. If it's as I described, just "tap" it off. It won't take much.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Herb is right on. Just loosen the three pinch bolts and tap off. The center pinch bolt is a bitch you may want to heat it a little to loosen the loctite they used.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so when I put it back on, is there anything special I need to do ?? Like torque it down so it compresses towards the lower tripple ?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tap it back on till it won't tap anymore. (use a plastic headed tapper) You'll feel it, there's no doubt. Then re-torque the pinch bolts. Keep an eye on the bracket assembly that mounts below the tripple, that "U" shaped thing that attaches to the lower clamp. (I think your bike has it)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another tip to be able to get at the center pinch-bolt is to slacken the steering stops so you can cock the forks full lock-right. it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the tank propped to avoid dinging it (be sure the tank's less than 1/2 full if you prop it).
hit the triple clamp with a heat gun to break down the threadlocking compound used on the middle pinchbolt. it's an SOB to remove otherwise and when i did the same job, i rounded out the bolt head and had to do all sorts of goofy [email protected] to get it out.

now... the more important question is WHERE'S THE PIC OF THE CYCLECAT TOP TRIPLECLAMP?!?!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, where is that pic! You're holding out on us!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts