Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2002 750 monster and wanted to know what top speed I can expect...and about how long it will take to get there...the bike is stock except for d&d pipes...thanks

any other info about this bike would really help also...

and also is 4500.00 seem to be a fair price w/ 900 miles

thanks again

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I have a 2001 M750 (2001 750s were still carbed), I have gotten an indicated 220 kph out of the bike. Considering the speedo error (~10%) this works out to be right arround 200 kph in reality. The owners manual states about 194 kph, so I figure I got a little better than expected. The bike was bone stock at the time (Canadian Model, likely the same as the US model???) with an old style factory front faring/windscreen (stock gearing, pipes etc.). I weighed around 220 lbs at the time. With pipes and the noise restrictors removed from the airbox I get no differnce in top speed.

I did not time how long it took to get there but it was not like I was waiting forever (seemed quick enough for me). The bike also felt quite stable up there, as long as you stayed in a full tuck. Without a windscreen I got 190 kph on the speedo (again take into account the error) but that was as far as I dared to go since it felt like my head was going to be ripped off!

Even with the stock pipes/air box the bike sounds so sweet WOT in top gear.... It is addictive, even more so with the noise restrictors removed from the air box.

For all you imperial guys devide by 1.609 to get mph...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow...120mph....that should do the trick....

THANKS

someone asked me how fast it would go and I figured it would be easier to ask someone w/ more experience riding...it might be a couple more days till i fill comfortable trying

my boss has a Porche and want to be sure I can woop his ass...

also....(dont want to sound irrespnsable but)....anyone have any tips on ridding wheelies....how easily is this bike going to do it

I CAN'T WAIT.....

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Mike:

It's Porsche, not Porche... and 'Porsche is a two syllable word'!

Anyway, you might want to find out which Porsche your boss has. A 1999-2004 Porsche Carrera (996) will do 160+ easy. Porsche puts the top speed at 174 on my 2000 Carrera.

And by the way, don't do it on the street.

Good Luck

TheOther996

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
potato - patato

There is a thread here some where about riding wheelies - maybe even a FAQ? Anyway search for wheelie and see what you come up with. The 750 is not a wheelie machine though. Better after some goodies are put on. Be safe though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My first wheelie on a Monster was totally unintentional. That's how easy it can be. Glad I didn't get into an accident.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My first wheelie on a Monster was totally unintentional. That's how easy it can be. Glad I didn't get into an accident.
I bet it wasn't on a 750, the hp and torque are barely different than the 620, and an unintentional wheelie isn't going to happen on a 620 ;D

·
Registered
783 Posts
I got to 125mph a few months ago on the I-45 HOV lane. ;D

S

·
0 Posts
haha

"Porsche is a two-syllable word."

My roommate has a shirt that says that in big letters. It makes me want to punch him square in the face every time he wears it!

Sorry if a bit off topic. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mike,

I hate to rain on your parade but I doubt the 120 mph figure on a stock 750. I don't have fuel injection, I'm in California (if that matters) and with my fat azz I can only barely get it past 100. Mine's stock and in great working order with about 7500 miles on it. That said, one buys a Monster for twisties, not top-end speed (if you really want top-end look elsewhere). The truth is, the wind-buffeting on a naked bike at 100+ isn't really very pleasant to endure. Carving as hard as you can through a tight turn is what this bike is all about! Your price for this model and mileage sounds very good though-- so buy it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheOther996:eek:ops...Porsche!....got it....2 syllables? really (i did not know)---->i cant spell

and ya its the Carrera ...damn it....I was going to try and bet him a raise....

themagicalswitch: I'm going to have to reasearch some of those goodies you speak of....

FearLu:
thanks....tight turns huu...sounds fun...I cant wait and thanks for your opinon on my deal...I'm going to try and pick it up today but might have to wait till saterday

THANKS for all the replys!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mike:

I have a 2002 M750dark - I believe it's quoted for around 120 or so as a top speed, which I haven't personally tried but do find entirely credible. I've seen like 115 indicated, which translates on my bike to maybe 105-110, and it was still accelerating fairly well when I backed off. As important, though, is the fact that the bike pulls pretty hard up to about 95-105, at which point further progress becomes... a little more leisurely.

As for your boss's Porsche, a stock late-'70s 911SC will make 149mph (redline in fifth gear) and they've only gotten faster since then. The 911's and 996, that is. I don't really know anything about Porsches that have the engine in the wrong place :)

M.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I have a 1999 M750 and it pulls nicely up to about 125-130 (i bet there's some spedo error) and i weigh about 200#. Don't do that very often though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No "Weinerschnitzel und Maibock" for that test-guy!

Is Euro-spec likely to be faster than a California version? Are the injected bikes likely to be faster than the carbed ones? Anybody know for sure? ('99 California 750 versus injected Euro 750?)

I can account for a slight disparity due to body mass (no jokes, please) but I'm struggling to find reasonable answers (for what sounds like a big difference to me).

S

·
0 Posts
Most I could get out of my monster was 185 (115mph) indicated with 14 teeth on the front and my 75kg (165lb) arse. As others have said - its NOT pleasant without a screen.

Having said that tho I was being overtaken by R1's, a CBR and a GSX like I was standing still so the point is FORGET TOP SPEED. Thru the hills if you can corner and you keep your speed you'll find you can keep up with all but the best sportsbike riders (who will prolly cane you regardless of what you're riding anyway).

The monster is not about speed. Its about attitude.

Lost count of the number of times I've pulled up at lights next to jap 600's that would cane me in a drag but becuase they dont know what the monster is they dont even try because theyre afraid they'll get done.

Buy a monster and enjoy the compliments from strangers and the turning heads when you ride down the street.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you want a straight line rocket, better save up for a 'Busa or a V-Rod... otherwise just enjoy the monster in the hills.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Ah yes, but sometimes us holigans living in the flats want to get to the twisties fast...

One time on the QEW (S. Ontario hwy) I was going an indicated 200 kph (again speedo error), a guy on an R1 pulled up beside me and then did a wheelie as he blew by! That was crazy.

The funny thing is, as mentioned above, when a squid pulls up beside you at a light they never want to race. They see Ducati on the tank and think they do not have a chance (little do they know they will smoke us).

jl

D

·
0 Posts
I"ve reached 135 indicated on my M750 with a windscreen on the front. I also weigh about 105 lbs.

I don't mean to bust your chops Daffe, but 105lbs? ;D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts