Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
First Hey!

i'm new here, this is the first board that iv'e found worth joining. I looked for a thread like this and could'nt find one. I thought a spot for tools and tricks that you folks recommend would be useful.

I'll start:
Chr##tsm#n 8pc sells a set of 3/8 metric drive allen sockets. the bits are removable/replaceable and one is the size that all screwdriver, torx, square drivers fits into. with the rest of my set I have t handle allens, ratchet allens offset screwdrivers, adda ujoint and I havent found an allen I can't get to. ;)

Battery tenders are miracle boxes! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Love my T-handles and hex key sockets, but added another weapon to the arsenal:

B&D cordless screwdriver with the bit that holds 3/8 drive sockets. With that turning the hex key sockets, running those long screws in and out is fast and easy ;)

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I kind of like my big crescent wrench. It fits all sizes of axle bolts. ;)

Oh, and my 5 pound hammer is good for getting axles in and out.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Take a look in bicycle catalogs & shops. They have quite a few small combination tools that are perfect for the road. Also include zip ties & tape.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Idle threats and harsh language seem to work for me.

if all else fails just look at you bike....*squint* real hard and in a soft, but firm voice say:

"I'm going to the Honda dealership tomorrow!"

VROOOOOOM....she'll start right up.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Is WD-40 considered a tool? ???

·
Registered
376 Posts
I want to clear up a myth here while were on the topic.....its not Duct, or Duck tape its Duc tape.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I want to clear up a myth here while were on the topic.....its not Duct, or Duck tape its Duc tape.
Actually all three are correct. They are all different brands of nearly the same product. "Silver vinyl fabric reinforced adhesive tape" would probably one universal name.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I usually carry electrical tape - did I say that right?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Alright you [email protected]! The new guy was trying to start a useful thread.

I've got so many tools, it's difficult to single out particularly useful ones. You know how it is; sometimes a long-neglected tool is a life saver.

Last night installing the new Ohlins shock, I was grateful for:

1. my 3/8" drive allen sockets
2. 3/8" drive speed handle (the one like a bit brace), and
3. my little magnetic retrieval tool.

Those all came in particularly handy for that job.

I've had a pretty good tool collection for quite some time, but the first thing I added after the Duc purchase was the allen sockets. They make life much easier.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
From what the dictionary states, it appears that WD40 IS considered a tool.

tool (P) Pronunciation Key (tl) n. 1. A device, such as a saw, used to perform or facilitate manual or mechanical work.

de

·
Registered
600 Posts
Maybe not a tool, but having a REAR STAND helps a lot. I'd get a FRONT STAND as well if I had the cash.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What exactly is a useful thread??

uh...maybe one on ducked tape?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Allen and Torx bit sockets. Got the allens in SAE and metric. Something I did not have for a long time, but use a lot now that I have them. They make jobs much easier.

Which brings up one of my gripes. Fasteners on my TwinCam include: SAE 6 pt hex, Metric 6 pt hex, Allen head, Torx, male 8 pt stars, female 8 pt stars, phillips head screws, sloted screws and 12 pt bolts (and only the thin wall 12 pt sockets will work to get the break shoes out). I'm not complaining about needing 9 different sets of tools to work on my bike or even the 20 lb tool kit I have to carry in case of emergency. I just want to know why they left off wing nuts and the square bits.

Doc

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Prolly ran out of warehouse space for the spare parts inventory....

BTW, what brand of Torx bits do you have? The CV joints on my cage were attached with torx-head 8mm bolts, and I wiped out about 4 bits to get the 24 bolts out. If I need to get a set of Torx bits I'd rather not experiment....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts