Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..who carries what tools on the bike / person while riding? For touring in particular I would like to have the essentials, and I know the factory kit leaves much to be desired. What tools have most people needed on the road for certain situations?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Allen Wrenchs, metric and regular.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
small socket set, opened end box wrench set, spark plugs,anti sieze,lock tight,fastners,nuts&bolts,hose clamp,bailing wire,duc tape ;)

That is what is in my tool bag. Along with the other stuff I mentioned. I bring Marty along to use it all for me ;D LOL

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
As the guys above have said plus:
tubless tyre repair kit - I think BMW make a good one
zip/cable ties (always handy)
spark plug socket (& two spare plugs on long trips)
fuses
(for overnight/long trips carry a small pencil torch in your luggage)
swiss army knife or leatherman

Dirt bike riders are experts at this carrying all this kind of stuff and road bike riders tend to travel light in the belief someone will help.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
After all the snapped levers/shifters on our recent SFBMHA rides I've taken to carrying a vice grip.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess I'm spoiled. The guy I ride with rides a Sportster so by necessity he's taken to carrying about everything you can think of . . . ;)

jb

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I never carry any tools at all, because I can count on people like Michael Moore having them. ;)

After 6 years and nearly 20,000 miles on my bike, I've never had an occasion when I needed tools with me for anything. I leave them home in the toolbox in my garage. 8)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi Sara! I only keep with me my Ducati tools and a leatherman.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ducati tools, that's funny! I don't carry anything when I am on the Duc. On the KRS I have a 12 volt compressor and just about every other tool or accesory needed. I am a true BMW gear queer!!!

I would have given anything for a 8mm allen wrench last night when my rear caliper forze up and locked the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Economy pouch toolset in the under-seat compartment. Includes (w/ my additions) two wrenches, 8 allen keys, 5 zip ties, 2 safety pins, locktite tube, plug socket (w/ an extra plug inside), pen flashlight, multi-bit screw driver, tire pressure gauge. Takes some massage to fit it all in there but it works. I always carry a Kryptonite EV lock. It's usually on the frame side just above the front cylinder.

Still looking for good spots to fit a spare lever, mini adjustable wrench or a vice grip, a Leatherman and possibly a tail bulb. That said, I've never needed any of them on the road, so as long as they fit somewhere without ruining the bike's contours I don't mind. In beemer state of mind on longer/overnight rides I'm open to using a tank bag with other stuff like a flat tire repair kit.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
... A lighter, a big swiss army knife, allen keys, soulderind iron, xtra fuses... They call me McGiver :eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm lucky to have a BMW riding boyfriend, and most of my close riding friends ride them as well. They always seem really prepared for almost anything. They also have much more space for storing stuff. I will be putting together a small touring tool bag, and carry only bare necessities under the seat for every day riding. The leatherman style devices seem more practical.

The reason I started this is because I felt really lame after reading an article by the "safety director" for the BMW Norcal Club. Is an orange mesh safety vest really needed in your front pocket..hmmmm.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Did any one say the "all important zip ties" comes in handy in an emergency.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cruz tools Outbacker, large and small Leatherman, zip ties, flat repair kit, a couple wrenches, cell phone, S&W J-frame.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
--------The reason I started this is because I felt really lame after reading an article by the "safety director" for the BMW Norcal Club.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'd have to say the BMW riders I know are always prepared for everything! One friend of ours actually had a little coffee maker and he pluged it into a adapter on his bike presto coffee ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts