Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Tool Kit????

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Retro 
#1 ·
I was going to set my sag this past weekend and to my dismay, the toolkit that came with my bike is practically useless. It contains only two screwdrivers!

How am I supposed to adjust my rear preload? My conventional tools dont seem up to the task. Please dont say I have to shell out more $$$ for a Ducati toolkit.

#2 ·
Well...it should have had a sparkplug wrench too. ???

You can try to track down a spanner wrench, but that's not an easy task. I purchased 2 'adjustable' spanner wrenches at the local high-end hardware/tool store. On my S4, I could get only one of them on only the top nut, and could only loosen the nut. Due to the frame tubes, shock reservior, and other stuff in the way, I couldn't use either one to tighten with.

I cringe to admit it, but I just did the 'ol hammer and punch routine like everyone told me to do when I asked a while back.
Not very fond of using a hammer and punch on a brand new $12k motorcycle, but that was the only option.

One of our sponsors may have a wrench.

#10 ·
Nothing wrong with spanner wrenches but it's much easier getting in there with a drift and a hammer.....if they don't want to budge shoot a little wd in there...you can get a brass rod at a hdwe store for next top nothing and even have them cut it to the size you want, just round the edges a little set it in the slot and hit it with a hammer.....

Wait, I'm beginning to think that you all are actually serious about this hammer method! [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

G
#11 ·
as a matter of fact I am.....don't know a better way or easier.
also another good tip is to mark the collars while they are together with a sharpie, then when you adjust the collars you can count the turns easy and when you cinch them back up just line up the marks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.