Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to set my sag this past weekend and to my dismay, the toolkit that came with my bike is practically useless. It contains only two screwdrivers!

How am I supposed to adjust my rear preload? My conventional tools dont seem up to the task. Please dont say I have to shell out more $$$ for a Ducati toolkit.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well...it should have had a sparkplug wrench too. ???

You can try to track down a spanner wrench, but that's not an easy task. I purchased 2 'adjustable' spanner wrenches at the local high-end hardware/tool store. On my S4, I could get only one of them on only the top nut, and could only loosen the nut. Due to the frame tubes, shock reservior, and other stuff in the way, I couldn't use either one to tighten with.

I cringe to admit it, but I just did the 'ol hammer and punch routine like everyone told me to do when I asked a while back.
Not very fond of using a hammer and punch on a brand new $12k motorcycle, but that was the only option.

One of our sponsors may have a wrench.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You can buy an adjustment tool (pretty cheap), or just use the ol' punch & hammer method.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Take all the stuff out of that purdy case and throw it away.
put a hex set (or Cruz Tools Outbakr), leatherman, and some fuses, zip-ties and tape in there and you are good to go.

I got a spanner adjuster (think it was motion pro??) at my local dealer. it was cheap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have the spark plug wrench also.

Thanks for the advice fellas. An adjustable spanner wrench it is!

·
Registered
61 Posts
We were having a suspension setup clinic in my garage the other day and, embarrassingly enough, I had to borrow the spanner from the guy that bought my VTR1000. Worked fine. Arghhh!

H

·
0 Posts
I have plenty of hammers and BIG flat blade screwdrivers. They work just fine. ;D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing wrong with spanner wrenches but it's much easier getting in there with a drift and a hammer.....if they don't want to budge shoot a little wd in there...you can get a brass rod at a hdwe store for next top nothing and even have them cut it to the size you want, just round the edges a little set it in the slot and hit it with a hammer.....

Wait, I'm beginning to think that you all are actually serious about this hammer method! [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

R

·
0 Posts
as a matter of fact I am.....don't know a better way or easier.
also another good tip is to mark the collars while they are together with a sharpie, then when you adjust the collars you can count the turns easy and when you cinch them back up just line up the marks....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts