Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so back in 2010 i got my endorsement through msf while 3 months pregnant, bought a used 620 with 5K miles on it, rode for that summer mostly around town and a couple longer rides, stowed the bike away for the winter (I live in WA), didn't touch it summer of 2011 then took it out a handful of times in 2012 and now i've made it a goal of mine to spend much for time with it this summer BUT i have lots of questions that have arised through riding and i want to drill a fellow 620 owner on my questions (mostly about riding & some maintenance). who will let me drill them? message me please :)

thanks much!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi seaoct, I don't have a 620, but just post your questions and someone will be able to help. If they want to be drilled, well that's up to them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Fire those questions away, and don't be shy ! We're all here to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having taken some time off as well, I could use some advice. I don't have a bike currently, but am looking forward to getting back on twos.

Being that I only rode for a few months after passing the MFS course, and it has now been a couple years(and some surgery) later. I am obviously concerned about taking a bike on a test ride. Any advice for preparation/precaution? Maybe I'll rent a bike first, to get used to it again. Any one know a good bike rental in the SFV or L.A. area?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The #1 piece of advice is "wear all your gear all the time." Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, long pants (moto pants are best).

The #2 piece of advice is "don't go fast." Speed kills.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Having taken some time off as well, I could use some advice. I don't have a bike currently, but am looking forward to getting back on twos.

Being that I only rode for a few months after passing the MFS course, and it has now been a couple years(and some surgery) later. I am obviously concerned about taking a bike on a test ride. Any advice for preparation/precaution? Maybe I'll rent a bike first, to get used to it again. Any one know a good bike rental in the SFV or L.A. area?
http://www.rentaducati.com/english/Los-AngelesCA.aspx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess the first question is i think the big maintenance is due: timing belt (the previous owner never had it changed out), plugs, etc.....but i'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary or can i wait a few hundred miles?

i think my tank holds just shy of 4 gallons, is that correct?

what oil brand you prefer? i've changed it once with a generic brand, seems ok but i know the dealer recommends some extra pricey stuff.

let's say i come to a quick stop while in 4th, once i'm stopped i click down to 1st before moving again....is that doing harm to the gears? i only ask because in class we come to a quick stop from 2nd and then just click down to 1st at the same time we pull in the brakes....they didn't cover what we should do if we were in a higher gear....so just curious

my left hand gets very numb, is there some reasoning for this?

thanks so much for all your help :) i appreciate it!

·
Registered
974 Posts
i guess the first question is i think the big maintenance is due: timing belt (the previous owner never had it changed out), plugs, etc.....but i'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary or can i wait a few hundred miles?
No way to tell its condition without inspecting it, but AFAIK the timing belts on a 620 are supposed to be changed every 12.5 K miles. These are rather conservative figures, however, and many riders go much longer without changing them. But for greater safety, change them when Ducati recommends.

i think my tank holds just shy of 4 gallons, is that correct?
3.7 Gal

what oil brand you prefer? i've changed it once with a generic brand, seems ok but i know the dealer recommends some extra pricey stuff.
Mobil 1 4T 10W-40

let's say i come to a quick stop while in 4th, once i'm stopped i click down to 1st before moving again....is that doing harm to the gears? i only ask because in class we come to a quick stop from 2nd and then just click down to 1st at the same time we pull in the brakes....they didn't cover what we should do if we were in a higher gear....so just curious
Downshift progressively as your speed decreases. This is good practice. The goal is to ride the bike in the proper gear at all times.

my left hand gets very numb, is there some reasoning for this?
Are you gripping too hard? Don't. A light touch is all that is needed.

thanks so much for all your help :) i appreciate it!
Ain't no thang. We gotta help each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts