Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, so I have not had an easy time with my new ducati. My latest drama is the superman I pulled over my handlebars in morning commuter traffic.

was changing lanes near a stop light at around 20 mph when the light started to change and the car in front of me (in the new lane) stopped short. I didn't have much reaction room, so I hit the brakes, and an oil slick at the same time, while at an angle. My front wheel went right and I went forward and over.

both my bike and I slid about 10 ft.

I am ok, few scrapes and bruises, but I have had worse walking down the street.

my bike though.... first inspection looked good, the left handlbar and clutch had been ground down a bit. also some scrapage on the muffler, left blinkers and mirror.

Further inspection though is not as good. something is off with my handle bars, I have stared and stared and even compared with a friend Duc of the same make and model, and cannot see what is off, but there is something.

All the weight of the bike on the left side of the handlebar did something. I have a small dent in my tank from the handlebar. When I turn the bar all the way left the plastic casing for the blinkers and the highbeam touch the tank (that is where the dent is). It should sit an inch or so off the tank but instead is right up on it.

I have looked all through the front steering column to see if I can see any dammage and I don't see any. I don't really see any bend in the handlebar itself either. Basically I don't understand where it is off.

Timing is pretty good though as I am out of town for the week so I am going to take it into a shop tomorrow or the next day to have them fix it.

I do have a question about the tank dent. It is really small, no paint damage, and you have to kind of look close to even see the dent. Can I get this fixed? would a bike repair shop do this or should I go to a body shop? how do they get in the tank to even be ablt to hammer it out? It is a relly small blemmish, but the bike is so new, I would really like to get it taken out. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not really sure on the handle bar question. From past posts I think that Norm pulls out dents. You may want to send him a PM and ask.

Glad to hear you're alright.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Duh,
Why I was writing the post in the first place. Where should I take it? I still have the oil leak from when it was last in the shop for the transmission rebuild. Also the "not starting while in gear" thing was not fixed.

I was planning on taking it back to South Seas while I was gone and have them fix both (under the warranty). but now that I have spilled the bike I don't want them to charge me claiming that the oil leak was from the spill. Also I figure I am going to have to pay for the work to fix my handlebars and tank dent and I don't really want to give this shop my business.

Would this spill be covered under the warranty in total? Should I take is somewhere else to have them fix the handlebar and tank then take it to South Seas to do the rest?

What it comes down to is I have a warranty, and want to have it cover as much as possible, and money I do end up having to spend though I would rather not give to the people that gave me a hard time the last time.

any input is appreciated.

H

·
0 Posts
In order for the bar to dent the tank, the bar had to bend. Sounds like it''s still bent. Lock the steering head, and give the bar a good yank. The dent, on the other hand will not be that easy. You'll probably have to take it to an autobody shop. Small dings in that area can be reached from within the tank, but the bigger creases really need to be pulled.

At least you're okay. :-/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In order for the bar to dent the tank, the bar had to bend. Sounds like it''s still bent. Lock the steering head, and give the bar a good yank. The dent, on the other hand will not be that easy. You'll probably have to take it to an autobody shop. Small dings in that area can be reached from within the tank, but the bigger creases really need to be pulled.

At least you're okay. :-/

when I open my tank there is a plate that sits about 1.5 inches down, I don't know how big it is but how would one get around that to reach the ding from the inside?

H

·
0 Posts
You have to remove the filler neck, and that will give a bit more room to work with. You'll have to make a couple tools to give the right angle to get to the dent. But, this approach really only works for small dings, and you have to be really careful not to not to put pressure in the wrong spot, or you'll have a big mess.

I was able to get most of the dent out on my tank, but it isn't perfect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hawaii: With all the bad luck you have had with this particular bike from the beginning, I'm not sure I would ever get on that thing again. Bad MOJO for sure. Ever consider having some local perform a "cleansing"? Just a thought. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Unless your going to repaint the tank, I'd leave a small dent like that alone. If it bothers you, put a sticker over it. I've never seen a paintless dent pull on a dent like that.
Your handle bar is probably bent, but you can bend it back by applying heat & mussle. Sometimes you can tweak the triples, but you can tweak them back by loosening the upper triple & realign it.

Norm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hawaii: With all the bad luck you have had with this particular bike from the beginning, I'm not sure I would ever get on that thing again. Bad MOJO for sure. Ever consider having some local perform a "cleansing"? Just a thought. ;)

Well I decided that she was mad caus I had not named her yet. I have chosen "Thumper" from Bambi as her name. I am hoping tha cute cuddly namesake will calm her hot Italian blood a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless your going to repaint the tank, I'd leave a small dent like that alone. If it bothers you, put a sticker over it. I've never seen a paintless dent pull on a dent like that.
Your handle bar is probably bent, but you can bend it back by applying heat & mussle. Sometimes you can tweak the triples, but you can tweak them back by loosening the upper triple & realign it.

Norm

Yeah I was not sure about that, never had a dent removed. Is not so noticable, may keep it around. Also a friend said they saw a dark monster tank used for $250 so if it really annoys me I could always take that route.

As for the handlebars, I have tried the "lock down and pull hard" techniqe and nothing. I have not applied heat nor do I even begin to have the tools to do so.

As for tweaking triples.... uhmmmm what are they again and what would a tweaked one look like?

I have decided to take it into South Seas. I will have them fix the oil leak and the clutch under warranty and while they are at it fix the handlebars, (I will mention taking a look at the front suspension as well). Hopefully it will all be covered, and if not... well, I only have a couple of days to get it all sorted before I leave.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
sorry to hear about your spill

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
IAMHHawaii,

please, post some good news! i agree with Norm, if the dent is small enough, live with it. the handle bars could be bent back, but i doubt the dealer would do it. new handlebars are not very expensive and the dealer would have to charge you X$/hr to straighten them. maybe this is a good time for clip-ons.

glad you are pretty much O.K. hope naming your bike helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
for the bars -
for sure they are bent. No doubt about it. I saw someone here in sf @ Munroe fix them by locking the steering, sitting on the seat and push it out with his foot. It was so easy. He said this is the most common Monster bike damage. They must make a fortune on new tanks that way. It sure makes an annoying ding though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
please, post some good news!

hmmm that's a tuffy. I am going on a 9 day snowboarding trip starting friday. That's good news!

A friend of mine told me yesterday "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all".

Oh wait that reminds me, I have some good news

... So yesterday while limping down the street recounting my accident to my worried looking GF, I find the energy to run down a purse snatcher and detain him long enough to get the bag back. Once I got the bag, he took off again, and I took chase, but halfway down the next block and after darting into the street several times I decided that, freshly wounded, and in flip flops, I should not push my luck, so I let him get away. I did manage to get the bag back to it's owner thought before hitting the nearest bar for some stiff drinks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for the bars -
for sure they are bent. No doubt about it. I saw someone here in sf @ Munroe fix them by locking the steering, sitting on the seat and push it out with his foot. It was so easy. He said this is the most common Monster bike damage. They must make a fortune on new tanks that way. It sure makes an annoying ding though.
hmm the old kick-the-bike techniqe. I will try it. One question though. The "lock" does not see like it isn't that heavy duty... is it ok to apply so much pressure on it? I don't want to damage anything any further. was kind of why I thought to have the shop do it. I will give it one more serious try tonight. If it doesn't work I will think about getting replacements. I don't really like the look of the... (why are the called clip-ons?) they are a bit to "Constructs" looking for me. anybody have their old handle bars they want to sell me for cheap?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you check your Motorcycle insurance? I would just have them pay for the damage. That's why you have insurance. Forget about your rates going up, they won't move that drastic. I know because my wife layed down my bike and the insurance only went up $20.00 for a $2,700 claim.

Next bit of business- maybe this can help in your case also. My wife went to an oil change place and they did an oil change. Well they never put any oil back into the vehicle. So my wife paid and drove the SUV a few blocks and noticed the oil light was on. She brought the SUV back to the shop and guess what? They noticed there wasn't any oil.

Now, this pissed me off. I didn't know if they damaged my vehicle or not. I called a Lawyer. He told me there was no need to use him. He simply told me that if I have any damage I should report it to my insurance company. Why? Because mishaps like this should be covered under your comprehensive part of your insurance.

Well I had a few shops look at the engine. They couldn't determine if the damage was done by the garage or if it was always there. I never pursued anything. Now my SUV eats 1 qt. of oil every 2 weeks.

Check your insurance. The damage done by the shop may be covered under your comprehive motorcycle insurance. Then take your bike to a real shop and have them fix the bike top to bottom.

Or sell it....

Later,
Frank

·
Registered
668 Posts
Frank, You really easily start asking him to sell it,

when You never had one.

All my best to Hawaii , luck will change, snowboarding is great, life is great, and bike can be fixed.

Stay cool , as You are.

Skier

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would not call "Thumper" a "calm down" name.

In the James Bond movie "Diamonds are Forever", the two overdeveloped and over-aggressive ladies that beat the crap out of James are named "Bambi" and "Thumper"!

If this is the name that popped into your mind when naming your Italian mistress, be wary of the subliminal message she is trying to give you . . .

Jim G

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
don't take this wrong, but most single vehicle accidents
are the result of user error (i speak from experience).
i don't know how much
seat time you have, but if this is your first bike, i
highly recommend taking the MSF course or something
like it. vigilence and hyper-sensitivity to your
surroundings (sometimes called 'global awareness') are
the key to safety and survival.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts