Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 99 m900s about a month ago. We've had snow, ice and below zero temperatures since I brought it home. During this time the bike has been parked in a heated building with my other toys. I've cleaned it, started it, sat on it, cleaned it some more for about a month. I'm sure it is cleaner than when it rolled off the line. I've gotten pretty good at sitting there making vroom vroom sounds.

Yesterday afternoon, I couldn't take it any longer. The temperature was up to a balmy 15 degrees. I'd had a pretty bad weekend. I bundled up in layers of warm clothes. I started the bike and let it warm up. Opened the door and launched myself into the cold. Cold really doesn't quite describe the bitter lack of heat in the air. I refuse to ride bikes when it gets colder than 55 and here I was out in 15 degree weather on snow and ice covered roads. Not to mention the fact that the winds were whipping little sparkles of frozen moisture droplets everywhere. It looked like the air itself was freezing solid.

An hour later I pulled back in, hands turning blue even through my gloves. My neck and chest were frozen even through layers of warm clothes.

The only really scary part of the ride occured when I came to a 1/2 mile long steep (really steep) downhill that was solid ice except for the 2 frozen ruts made a couple of days before during a short near thaw. Luckily I was going slow enough that I was able to stop and assess the situation. I decided not to go down the hill on the road, and instead pulled onto the grassy shoulder. From there I rode it all the way down at about 2 miles per hour (both legs down). At the bottom the road was clear and I climbed back onto the paved rode and continued on.

The smile was frozen on my face when I pulled into my building. The sound of the engine when revved up is amazing. The torque is surprising. Not as all-powerful as I expected, but still very strong. The handling seemed pretty good, but I'll admit it is going to take a while to get used to this Monster. My other bikes a Rune and a big custom built cruiser. I've never ridden anything that even seems similar to the Monster.

I can't wait until it gets warm enough for a long ride. The weatherman is predicting 30 in a couple of days, I guess that's warm enough, especially when compared to yesterday. See you on the road.

Dirk

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Congrats! You have the best model and year! ;D

Under the conditions you describe, I doubt you got into the sweet part of the engine much, if at all. Whack that throttle open at about 5 grand and she'll put an even bigger grin on your face!

T

·
0 Posts
I agree! Mine is black. Thinking about a 41 tooth rear sprocket to increase the pull.

·
Registered
668 Posts
bellissimo.

how could you say anything like that with any other motorcycle,,...

well you can, but that feeling, that need, that emotion and lust,

well, cannot explain so I shut up.

Skier

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your neighbors live next to a madman!

I'm in Michigan and it's been a long winter, but I gotta wait until at least 50 degress.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Seek therapy!

You guys in snow country who buy a new bike, then sit looking at in the garage all winter have textbook masochism!

I don't think I could cope....

--Copeless--

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that my neighbors live next to a madman. The look on their faces as I passed them on the road was quite a reward for my craziness.

Following my ride I had yet another new experience. I spent an hour cleaning ice-melt and road salt off my cf fenders.

The weatherman now is suggesting we may see 40 degrees before the end of the week. Sounds like its time to break out the mesh!

After reading the thread of my fellow madman from South Dakota I realized I'm not alone. I'm thinking that next year might be a good time to organize a polar bear ride.

Dirk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts