Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Too short?

17K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  spdrcr60 
#1 ·
I'm an inexperienced rider who would love to get a 695 with no desire to ride a cruiser. Main problem, I'm only 4' 10. I've talked to several people who frown upon this idea. I've been all over this board and read about mods that may help; I discussed these options with dealerships, but they're still very hesitant to sell me a bike. Should i really just let go of the hope of getting a Ducati?

#2 ·
No. Contact Ducati of Seattle and talk to Dave Roosevelt. Not sure where you're located but they can talk you through the myriad of things that can be done to accomodate you.

Reactions: flyer77
#4 ·
While there are alot of things that can be done to a bike to make it lower and there are a lot of work arounds for riders that are on tippy toes. I would suggest learning to ride on a bike that is lower.

There is a big difference between making a bike functional for someone thats 5' 2" vs some one that is 4'10" Please understand I'm not saying to give up on the Ducati but I think getting the learning stuff out of the way on a lower bike might be a wiser choice. I've been riding 4 years now and back in the beggining being on a bike that I could barely touch down on would have been a big problem for me. I have more experience now and I can and have ridden bikes that are significantly taller than my Monster.

A Buell Blast might be a good choice to start with, not a cruiser but they can be super low. Once you've gotten the mechanics of riding down, then look for the Ducati that you want.

#6 ·
4'-10" is pretty short. Ducatis can get low, but I think it would be difficult to get one low enough for you to flat-foot it. I personally think that's just a much safer way to start riding. When and if you drop your starter bike, you'll be sooooo happy that it wasn't the Duc that you just dumped! [cheeky] It'll be safer and more fun, too. [thumbsup]

That said...I started out riding motorcycles a few years ago and I didn't know that you could lower them. My first bike was so tall that I could only get one foot down on my tippy toes. Sometimes I would get the engine going and the bike rolling and hop on. Yes, I fell a lot. My first bike was a 1989 ratted out GS500 though--not a several thousand dollar investment like a brand-spankin' new 695. The worst damage I ever did totaled up to about $75 and a giant bruise on my right hip.

#8 ·
It's certainly easier and much less intimidating to start on a bike that fits you comfortably. I don't think it's necessary to be able to flatfoot a bike (I've never owned one that I could do that with) but it really helps, as a beginner, to be able to put the balls of both feet down solidly. Something else to consider is that Monsters are relatively heavy for their size, and it's not going to be easy to pick the bike up when you drop it. I say when rather than if because I've never known a short rider who didn't drop the bike a few times. I still do it occasionally, after 12 years.

I'd recommend getting a bike that is low enough without a lot of modification, even if it's something you don't like much, and gaining experience and confidence before getting a Monster. Once you've had some practice, and have learned some specialized techniques for riding a bike that's taller than you are, it's not hard to do. But added onto trying to master the basics of riding, it's a huge challenge.

You might consider something like a Yamaha XT225 or TW200 to start with; they're both small and light. As long as you don't trash the bike, you should be able to sell it and recoup most of what you paid for it.

#9 ·
4'10" is pretty short, but there are things you can do. Riding boots with a big thick sole/heel, set your suspension, get the lowering dogbone, raise the forks in the triples a smidge, shave down your seat or get a lower seat from somewhere. Im sure there are other things I am forgetting.

You dont need to flat foot a Ducati. I can only get the balls of my feet on each side down (I am 5'1") and I ride just fine. And this is after shaving my seat down and setting the suspension for me. If I wear my non-flexing SIDI B-2s then I can only get a toe tip down one foot at a time, but I still ride just fine. You are an inexperienced rider by your own words. GET SOME EXPERIENCE! :D [thumbsup] (not yelling; excited! This is the fun part.) Get a little USED starter bike and thrash the crap out of it for a season. Then move on to your Ducati.

Before I started riding, I always had the Monster in mind. But I didnt want it as my first bike because I didnt want to drop my baby or wreck it making some newbie mistake. You WILL drop your bike while you are learning and you WILL make mistakes. You will need a bike forgiving enough that you wont seriously hurt yourself because of those mistakes. My first bike was a 1981 Honda CB400T. I made a lot of mistakes while learning, but since I had a bike with not a lot of power I didnt get myself into any trouble and just learned from it. After a season of getting comfortable, I was wringing it out and scraping pegs everywhere I went (not really that crazy considering top speed was 70 on a good day and the pegs didnt have much clearance) but its fun riding a slow bike fast and it gave me a GREAT platform of riding skills to build upon. Once you are comfortable and have a great base knowledge of skills, it doesnt really matter if you can flat foot the bike.

#39 · (Edited)
You are an inexperienced rider by your own words. GET SOME EXPERIENCE! :D [thumbsup] (not yelling; excited! This is the fun part.) Get a little USED starter bike and thrash the crap out of it for a season. Then move on to your Ducati.

Before I started riding, I always had the Monster in mind. But I didnt want it as my first bike because I didnt want to drop my baby or wreck it making some newbie mistake. You WILL drop your bike while you are learning and you WILL make mistakes. You will need a bike forgiving enough that you wont seriously hurt yourself because of those mistakes....but its fun riding a slow bike fast and it gave me a GREAT platform of riding skills to build upon. Once you are comfortable and have a great base knowledge of skills, it doesnt really matter if you can flat foot the bike.
A big +1. The Monster was the bike I wanted to learn to ride for, but I waited until I had three years' experience. A GS500e is a great bike to get the look of a Monster without the temperment.

I wouldn't fear shaving the seat. I find a firm perch to be more comfortable, anyway.

#10 ·
I am probably 4'11" or so. I don't ride yet, but am looking into a basic riders course to remedy this situation. My BF has a Monster, and I can't even touch both feet down when he has the seat off, sitting on the frame. As much as I would love a Monster, I know this isn't realistic for me to start out. My plan - a Buell Blast. It certainly doesn't scream 'sexy' like a monster does, but I can touch the balls of my feet down on both sides, and can move the bike back and forth between my legs without being intimidated by the weight. It's a 500, so it wouldn't be painful to ride once you gain experience, and if you find one that has been dropped, you'd only be looking at maybe $1,800 or so. The one I sat on had been dropped on both sides, and they look like they take a fall amazingly well.

I spoke to a guy at BCM one day who said he saw a girl my size race on a superbike - she had to get on using a crate and off she went. :)

#13 ·
ro-monster said:
I'm not sure someone who's 4"11" could start on a Ninja 250 without modifying it. The Blast is a lot shorter.
I am 4'11" and there is no way I could ride a stock Ninja (not with confidence anyway)... would definitely need to do the lowering link and shave the seat, at the very least. Life can be tricky when you have a 28" inseam...

#14 ·
Kimi

Hi I am a shorty too 5 1 I am not sure where you are from but here in Aus my first bike was a little Honda Rebel 250 thats what they call them here, it looks like a little cruiser, then I went to a Honda CB250 they are a great 1st bike to get confidence on. I have done all the Mods, Lowering, forks lowered, seat shaved and boots built up, side stand bent a bit.....................a bit scary at first but then you get confident on it after a while. [thumbsup]

Egas

#15 ·
ro-monster said:
Something else to consider is that Monsters are relatively heavy for their size, and it's not going to be easy to pick the bike up when you drop it. I say when rather than if because I've never known a short rider who didn't drop the bike a few times. I still do it occasionally, after 12 years.
It's amazing what kind of strength you find when you drop your bike...say when you're alone in the garage with no one around, just trying to get it off the rear stand. I couldn't believe I uprighted the bike all by myself...although I do chalk it up to sheer anger for hurting my boy (rear brake peg).

Granted I'm 5'2", but I'm sure most of us could get our bikes up in that type of situation.

Tanya

#16 ·
T-byrd said:
It's amazing what kind of strength you find when you drop your bike...say when you're alone in the garage with no one around, just trying to get it off the rear stand. I couldn't believe I uprighted the bike all by myself...although I do chalk it up to sheer anger for hurting my boy (rear brake peg).
Granted I'm 5'2", but I'm sure most of us could get our bikes up in that type of situation.
So am I, but you must be a lot stronger than I am, because I can't do it. I did finally come across a method that I can use to pick up my DR650, but that's nearly 100 lbs. lighter than my Monster.

#17 ·
egas said:
Kimi

Hi I am a shorty too 5 1 I am not sure where you are from but here in Aus my first bike was a little Honda Rebel 250 thats what they call them here, it looks like a little cruiser, then I went to a Honda CB250 they are a great 1st bike to get confidence on. I have done all the Mods, Lowering, forks lowered, seat shaved and boots built up, side stand bent a bit.....................a bit scary at first but then you get confident on it after a while. [thumbsup]

Egas
I am almost 5ft 1in, and I started off on a Rebel too. In fact, if it was the same model I learned on in the safety course, which helped immensely. I then upgraded to a Harley Sportster 883 Low last summer, and I was just able to flat foot it on that one. I just bought the bike I originally wanted but was afraid, due to my size, to buy which is my 07 Monster. Even with the suspension adjusted a little and the seat shaved, I am tip-toeing. However, because I have become pretty comfortable riding, and the Monster is close to 200 lbs lighter than the HD, I am ok with it. There is a bit of an adjustment going from a cruiser style bike to a sport bike though, but nothing too bad. It is sooooo nice to have a lighter bike though.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

#18 ·
Kimi,
I'm pretty short, 5'1, and I just got my first Ducati. I'm waiting to get it lowered, but I would definately suggest buy a used smaller bike to learn the basics on, then move up to a larger bike. And if you have a used smaller bike, it's not going to matter as much if you drop it. I was heartbroken the other day when I dropped my Duc. I told my husband that I was probably going to be done riding until I can get it lowered. My first bike was an '88 Ninja 250, and it was a great ride, just enough power where you're going to have a great time learning, but not enough to get seriously hurt.

#19 ·
Another way to add a little bit of height is to use insoles in your boots. I suggest insoles like Shock Doctors etc. that have a little bit more height toward the front (ball) of the foot, where you need it more. They cost anywhere from $25-45. (REI has them and most athletic shoe stores should too.) Also, instead of having my Monster lowered, the guys at the shop just softened the rear suspension. They said it was a better option for me since I weigh just under 100lbs. You can make that adjustment at home, the manual explains how. I still just touch with tip toes.

If you get your saddle customized, have some padding taken off the sides.

As others have probably said, once you get used to riding, the inability to flat-foot won't seem so bad.

Best of luck!

#20 ·
A Buell Blast as people stated earlier would be great to start with. I'm short (5'2") and a beginner rider starting out on an '02 M620. I shaved my seat and got the seat height down to 28.5" which gave me enough to flat foot with riding boots on. Riding boots with a large heel are definitely a help, but at 4'10" flatfooting on the monster will be a stretch even with the seat shaved/lowering. I've come close to dropping the bike a few times now and without being able to flatfoot it would have definitely gone over. I think the Buell Blast's seat height is about 24" or 25" which is a good 3-4" lower than my monster with the seat modified. Starting out on the smaller bike would work well for you and then moving up to a modified/lowered monster would be easier. This coming from a beginner as well, and realizing now that as a short rider getting the basics down on a shorter bike would have been easier. Good luck! [thumbsup]

#21 ·
Hi! I'm 5'1" and I have owned both the Buell Blast (lower seat ht= 25.5") and the Ninja 250 (seat ht=29.3"). The Blast initially helped me build confidence and reassurance in the aspect of "being able to flatfoot a bike). Once, I got over that "fear", I began riding my husband's bike at the time (Ninja 250) and fell in love with the "little sportbike". They are two very different bikes and handle quite differently. I never got a good "feel" for the Blast (the handling seemed a little "mushy", more like a cruiser). I sold it and bought a Ninja 250. Where I live (north GA), it was intimidating riding the Ninja at first. as I can barely put my toes down. It would be nice if the Ninja was a tad bit lower, because it is such a fun "beginner/commuter" bike...a lot easier to maneuver than the Blast. I've considered shaving the Ninja's seat, but now I am looking at the Monster 695. I test drove one yesterday that had been lowered an inch (lowering kit) and I could put the toes and most of the balls of both feet down. I fell in love with it. It's riding posture is slightly more forward than the Ninja and I feel even more comfortable on the 695 around curves.

Just talk to others (shorties), research the web/other forums/groups. Ask fellow riders. That's what I have been doing.
Good look in finding "your bike".

#22 ·
T-byrd said:

Tanya
+1 to Tanya! Just learning to ride and dropped the bike in the parking lot. I'm 5'2"/ 110 lbs and picked it up on my own. I could chalk it up to sheer anger too.....only time I stalled all day and practicing right hand turns....no damage to the bike though at all....it started to go over and I placed it down gently, then upon staring at him while he was on the ground pi**ed off, I just went for it and got him upright all by my lonesome. It can definitely be done and wasn't a bad learning experience as I now know I can pick the bike up off the ground!

#24 ·
Like I said, I'm 4'11" with a 28" inseam, and I don't even come close to touching the ground on my BF's Monster, sitting on it with the seat off! (It's a 900). This weekend he and I looked at a Suzuki GS500E, but came to the conclusion that with a lowering link (2" lower) it would be too low for our roads (ME roads = nasty crown and even nastier frost heaves/pot holes). And it would still be too tall for me, which totally bummed me out because I love the bike. I am growing very frustrated because I do not want a cruiser-type bike. Right now I feel my only option is a Blast, but I am only considering it because it fits, not because I necessarily like it (I could take it or leave it). I wish I had better advice to give on a good bike but I am struggling with that myself!! :mad:

I will certainly be watching this post for any info on something sporty yet still height and weight appropriate for me and my micro frame...

#25 ·
Hi there. I'm new to Ducati but not very new as far as riding is concerned. Been riding all my life and have 2 dream bikes since childhood. I am amongst those vertically challenged few or many, but have a passion for riding. I'm just slightly over 5' tall, quite a common sight for women from the east.

I started fulfilling my life dreams by first getting a Harley Sportster 1200 - lowered it all possible ways and enjoyed it thoroughly. The height was a bit intimidating at first, especially with the weight of a HD. Dropped it on day 1 mainly because the weight surprised me. I ride alone mostly but at times, joins the big boys on convoys. It's awesome.

Recently I went to a dealer and bought my 2nd dream bike - a 2006 Ducati Monster M620 (dark). It's a new overstock bike so I got a good deal. The dealer (as with many in my country) just want to make the sale. They don't give 2-hoods if you fit or not. They lowered it off 15mm max and more than that would apparently void the warranty. I picked it up with a friend who's about 2" taller than me but managed to tippy toe both feet and ended up asking her to ride it back to my garage cos I just couldn't touch both feet on the ground - just 1 at a time and with a different bike plus the murderous traffic here, decided being wise not to be too ambitious.

Bike has been laid up at the garage for 2 weeks - still scouting for ideas what to do with it. The fact it "I want to ride it"!!! But how on earth am I going to do it if I can feel the ground (in case I have to). If it's on a track - I would have just start and take it off, regardless. Unfortunately, I'm in a real world, with real traffic to live with. Still it doesn't stop me from playing with the thought (every now and then) of just getting on it and go, even if I have to drop it at some point.

I read many threads here about lowering link. Even found out where to order them. But the dealer kept telling me not to do it cos it will void the warranty. What a jerk - buy a bike and can't ride it just because of the damn warranty. Does he expect me to sit and watch the bike till the warranty expires then work out a way to ride it? How silly can he be???? Yet it's an ironic situation where you want to enjoy the ride and at the same time, benefit from necessary warranties (since you literally pay for it being new).

Its a real dilemma I'm faced with here. Maybe it's silly of me to have bought the bike just because I loved it. But still - I thought if you have the will, you'll find the way. Till now, I have no clue except to pick up my guts and hop on it regardless. What would you do???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.