Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil on my monster last week and it seemed to top out after 3 quarts. When I check it in the sight glass, it is over the 2nd line, so I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue or not.

I also seem to be getting lower mileage for some reason after the oil change.... used to get the fuel warning light at around 105-110 miles, now I get it around 90 or so...

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'm going to go with "too much oil."

crack that drain plug open, and bleed 'er out a bit. should fix your woes.

or it'll at least help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Better smell the oil . It could be fuel leaking past the petcock and carb float needles ending up in the crankcsae.
My Monster started doing this. Had to change the oil twice in a week because of dillution. The remedy was to install an in-line fuel shut-off valve on the right side near the carbs.
Fuel dilluted oil will wreck the motor if run for very long.
Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool guys thanks for the input....

appreciate the tip Hiero, not really keen on opening that drain plug, last time was a big time mess... my oil drain contraption failed and it was a big spill on the concrete...

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I thought that mofo was supposed to take all 4 quarts.... what gives?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
wzuccarello said:
Better smell the oil . It could be fuel leaking past the petcock and carb float needles ending up in the crankcsae.
My Monster started doing this. Had to change the oil twice in a week because of dillution. The remedy was to install an in-line fuel shut-off valve on the right side near the carbs.
Fuel dilluted oil will wreck the motor if run for very long.
Wayne
Bikes a 620 with fuel injection, No carbs therefore no float needles ;)

You can also pull and drain the oil filter a few times (starting between each time) if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took off the oil cap and sniffed it and it did smell kind of like fuel, so I'm not sure what that indicates. sniffed it a few more times til I started feeling good then put it back ;D

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Suggest you do a search on the topic/key words and check the FAQs. This has been tossed around here many times before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts