Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (first post except for the introduction post). I only began riding about a year ago and am looking to upgrade from my Honda Rebel 250. I'm considering a 696. I've done lots of research but thought I would ask about my one nagging concern here.

Everything I've read about the 696 says that the stock exhaust gets way too hot for a passenger. I ride alone 90% of the time but when my wife jumps on I'd like her legs to be intact when she gets off.

So, I've been told that I can get some carbon fiber slip-on exhausts to take care of the problem. I'm not a complete gear head but I like to learn so that is certainly an option.

I did notice on the 2010 that there seems to be a larger heat shield on the exhaust cans. I'm wondering if this does anything to help or if they still get too hot for a passenger. I'm trying to decide if I need to only look at 2010 models or if I can consider a 2009 as well (can probably get a better deal on an '09 right now).

So, my questions are:

1) Do the 2010 stock heat shields help at all and are they sufficient to protect a passenger?

2) If not, on either a 2009 or 2010 how much am I looking at to add some carbon fiber slip-on exhaust cans? I'm not concerned with the extra hp and all that (of course it would be nice but not my primary concern).

3) If I add some carbon fiber exhaust do I need to reprogram the computer or only if I'm looking to take advantage of improved performance?

Thanks for helping me learn. If I do buy the bike I'll be sure to answer others' questions as I learn.

Adam

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 09 696 so cant comment on the 2010 heat shields but bigger should be better. carbon cans around $1200 for the kit ecu & air filter. ive heard people have been burned with stock pipes but personally ive rode 2up meny times even in traffic with the temp reading 4-5 bars without any complaints but my gf also has her own bike and wears full gear boots & pants.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Carbon stays cooler than alum.
there are a couple carbon heat shields for your stock exhaust that might help
carbon exhaust $700-ish (anbd up)
remap- depends on the pipes, but most will run fine without reprogramming required

im of the opinion passenger should have all the same protective gear as the rider

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got the stock exhausts, with the 2010 heat shields (in carbon fibre). They still get pretty hot. I haven't tried pillion so don't know where that person's legs would go, relative to the hot bits of the bike, but reckon it would be pretty uncomfortable. I find my own thighs get pretty hot when sat in traffic, with no wind to cool things down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I cant speak for certain but the 2010 heat shields look as if they would protect a bit more, but I have ridden a passenger on my 09 with no complaints about getting burns. I would think the biggest risk to catching a burn would be around the ankle, but I feel the way Jeff H does that the passenger should be as protected as the driver. I would certainly think a pair of boots and jeans would stop any problem.

If you are thinking about changing the pipes, the Termi kit Ducati sells is supposedly getting a 2010 style heat shield that comes with it now(supposed to be released April 27th). It is a bit of an expensive route though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The major problem with 2up riding isn't heat related,it's crushed nads. The 696 is a lousy 2up bike because of the seating position in relation to the sloping tank. The first firm stop with someone on back,and you can kiss your jewels goodbye.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The major problem with 2up riding isn't heat related,it's crushed nads. The 696 is a lousy 2up bike because of the seating position in relation to the sloping tank. The first firm stop with someone on back,and you can kiss your jewels goodbye.
what he said. i would be curious if the touring or slim line seat helps with this problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the touring seat solves some of it. your passenger needs to know how to ride as a passenger, ie pressing her legs to hold herself back on braking, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts