Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little advice here ladies and gentlemen,

A guy I work with is selling his 2007 Monster 695. He bought it new in 2008 and has never layed it down or had any issues with it. He added termignoni performance exhaust and 2,000 miles on the odometer. It also has/had? the ever red warranty and is listed as mint condition. His current asking price is $6500.

The kicker is, if I do get the bike, I'll most likely be taking it on a 1,400 mile ride from New York to Kansas in August. Something about that just seems magical.

IF, the 2007 is not as good of a deal as it seems, my other inclination was to go with a 2011 696, but I would most likely pick that up in Kansas and avoid the road trip. :(

Thanks for any advice and insight you can provide.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For that price Id personally go with a bigger bike.But if you are a newbie and love how the monsters look,I can say that it should be a good fit.Just be prepared to grow out of it sometime, baby monsters arent the fastest bikes out there.

If you've heard his bike running and love the intoxicating sound of the termis,then go ahead and get it.Termi pipes on older monsters are next to impossible to find brand new,they have discontinued many models and as time goes by they will probably stop production for older monsters completely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply DMonster1.

You're correct on both accounts; I am a newbie AND have fallen in love with the monster aesthetic. Since it will be my first bike I am ok with it not being the fastest thing out there. If I was to get something like that from the get go I imagine I would get myself in trouble pretty quick!

Unfortunately I haven't heard the bike running, yet. When I visited it was pretty late in the evening and the gentleman didn't want to wake the neighborhood up. It also didn't help that he lives next door to a police station...

Do you feel that the price is a little steep? Seeing as you would opt for something a little bigger?

Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Not sure what you guys are advising but, without getting into the full specs, the difference in power b/w a 695 & 696 is a whopping 1cc. The only real choice here is old design vs. new design. Personally, I'd go old school.... pre-steroid injection. As far a the price, considering the low miles, the pipes, and the extended warranty, I'd tell you $6500.00 is a VERY good deal.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Forget the M696....if you're not over 190lbs, the M695 is soooo capable of giving you neck aches from high-speed riding. And that's not all. If one cherished the "true" monster look(original thin trellis)...grab that deal or find something cheaper(if money is an issue)but at all costs, get an M695 and be spared by those countless "WHY's" on newer models :)

If you want me to elaborate about the "why's"...please do a search on newer models and their collateral gremlins.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It does eem a little high, but with only 2K miles, it's still a new bike. Plus that exhaust isn't cheap. If you were to get a new monster and add the exhaust, your going to pay almost twice what you will for this one.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
stop thinking... start buying....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts