Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guys at EastSide Motorsports told me that titanium needles are known to wear out fast, and that they have seen them go in 5K miles. I guess they get deformed or something. This is a major source of spark plug fouling

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Are they talking about the needles themselves or the needle jets(emulsion tubes)?
Those can cause fouling because they affect mixture throughout the rpm and throttle opening range.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is it better not to use titanium then? And does it wear out the nozzles that fast?

I don't really know anything about jetting and such. Are nozzles something I can just replace?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Aguacate said:
So is it better not to use titanium then? And does it wear out the nozzles that fast?

I don't really know anything about jetting and such. Are nozzles something I can just replace?
Nozzles are brass which is very soft. Ti needles will wear them faster.
They are replaceable. If you get them from the dealer they will cost over $60 for a pair. If you need them try Chris at ca-cycleworks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang, this jet kitting is pissing me off. I just checked out the graph of a typical power gain with dynojets and it gives you what, a horsepower once you break 100 mph. Sure, I guess it also gives you 2 more mph.

But it rapes your middle-band, robbing you of 3 hp between, I dunno, 55 to 80 mph.

Wouldn't more hp in the middle band be better for doing turns and stuff? Monsters aren't really known for their top end anyway.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Link?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
we always fit new needle jets with a jet kit. it seems the ti needles can get marked by worn needle jets, which then in turn tears the jets apart very quickly. dynojet used to have al needles in their kits, but i believe they too have gone to ti now, like factory pro. anodised al like the std needles should be ok, but the factory al needles weren't anodised, which is maybe why marc always says the ti needles were no worse than al.

last time we teied to get needles from factory pro we got no response at all, so our customer had to buy a new jet kit just to replace the needles. this was after maybe 40,000km or so. we replaced the needle jets and polished the needles a few times before replacing them. the km travelled between each jet replacement/needle polish went from maybe 20,000 initially to 12,000 to 6,000, then we fitted the new kit.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stage 2 kit pdf shows the exact same graph. Must be a mistake.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Don't bother with Dynojet. Get the Factory Pro jet kit. I had more power everywhere after installing the Factory Pro jet kit in my M900 Monster - and opening the airbox.

You don't need to worry about which choice to make with Factory Pro, since it comes with a full range of main jets. Details about installation and tuning are in the FAQ.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I've already got something in my bike. I gotta call up Ducati Seattle again and figure out what. Hopefully it's not Dynojet.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
Don't bother with Dynojet. Get the Factory Pro jet kit. I had more power everywhere after installing the Factory Pro jet kit in my M900 Monster - and opening the airbox.

You don't need to worry about which choice to make with Factory Pro, since it comes with a full range of main jets. Details about installation and tuning are in the FAQ.
Scott is a fan of the factory kit. I have dyno jet in mine. It works fine.

If you are going to work with a dealer on the fine tuning you might consider what they are familiar with.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
ducpainter said:
Scott is a fan of the factory kit. I have dyno jet in mine. It works fine.
The main reason I push Factory Pro over Dynojet is from all of the stories that I've read about rejetting with the two. There are a lot more stories of problems getting a Dynojet jet kit dialed in than with getting a Factory pro jet kit dialed in. Both can work well once you get everything right.

I favor Factory Pro because it should be a bit easier to deal with, that's all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I went with Factory Pro partly through recommendation and partly through experience with Dynojet. I don't know if Factory will supply individual replacement items but they've always been very helpful - I gave up with Dynojet because they were not helpful, and they have a policy of not selling any individual items, only complete kits. If you want to upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 you have to buy a complete kit which duplicates most items - they made their choice, and I made mine. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
799 Posts
funkuncut said:
I went with Factory Pro partly through recommendation and partly through experience with Dynojet. I don't know if Factory will supply individual replacement items but they've always been very helpful - I gave up with Dynojet because they were not helpful, and they have a policy of not selling any individual items, only complete kits. If you want to upgrade from Stage 1 to Stage 2 you have to buy a complete kit which duplicates most items - they made their choice, and I made mine. [thumbsup]
+1 I dont have any FHE with Dynojet, but I can tell you that FactoryPro will offer you individual parts down to a single jet. They are VERY helpful and friendly (talked with the guy for almost an hour when I called to get 2 main jets).

I would recommend replacing the emulsion tubes if there are over 5k miles. It's only $50 and makes things sooo much easier to tune if you dont have to worry about worn needle jets.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How can I tell if the emulsion tubes are worn out?

I don't know when anything was installed or replaced.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ducpainter said:
Scott is a fan of the factory kit.
I'm also a fan of the FactoryPro kits too, for three reasons. Most importantly because dynojet use different numbers for their jets to everyone else including Mikuni - if the 142.5's you get in the FactoryPro kit are a little too small you can order 145s from any FactoryPro or Mikuni supplier - if you try to order a 145 sized Dynojet one you'll be quite disappointed (see pages like this one). Secondly because of the customer feedback about how helpful they are with regards to answering queries, and thirdly because of the nice touch of supplying allen socket replacement bolts for all the phillips head screws that are always such a pain when working with carbs that haven't been apart for a while - they even supply the right extra length ones for the two bolts that hold the throttle cable bracket on - it's not a big thing, maybe a buck or so's worth of bolts at retail, but it give a good impression and the feeling that they've though things through...

I have dyno jet in mine. It works fine.
Yup, I don't doubt it for a minute.

If you are going to work with a dealer on the fine tuning you might consider what they are familiar with.
I very much agree with this. In my opinion thats the best reason to choose one over the other. In the absense of the guy doing the tuning having any preference though, I, like Scott, will recommend the FactoryPro kits...

big

·
Registered
799 Posts
Aguacate said:
How can I tell if the emulsion tubes are worn out?

I don't know when anything was installed or replaced.
It is very hard to tell if they are worn by just looking at them, unless they are VERY worn. I knew mine were worn after setting my float height and putting in a somewhat standard setup of jets and needle height for my intake/exhaust setup. Once I was at this point I measured what main jet I needed by doing some full throttle plug checks. I ended up needing to go up several steps to a 155. Next I did some midrange plugchecking and noticed that I needed to drop the needles down into the tubes (lean the mid-range mixture). I kept lowering the needles, but could not get them low enough to lean the mixture enough. (This is with the Facory Pro needles). At this point I realized that the emulsion tubes were worn.

If you want some more help, feel free to PM me or email me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts