Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Been awhile and have not had the joy of being on the bike for awhile now. Thing is, a couple of weeks ago found that the bike had a nail in the rear tire. The concerning part about it was that the angle that it had was a bit strange, as it didn't go straight in. It seems to have gone in near one of the tread marks and went in sideways without going fully through.

Of course upon seeing this I freaked and wondered what to do. By the time I got back my father had pulled out the nail from the tire. Now, it's been a couple of weeks and no loss of air.

My question is, without knowing how deep it went and if there was any nail left in the tire, how safe is it to ride on it? I am planning on doing a trip this weekend and would like to use the bike and wont have time to change the tire before then. If I am not losing any air, what is the risk of a blowout?

Any advice is appreciated... had a blowout once before and do not want to repeat the experience.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That nail could have still damaged the carcas of the tire, even if it's not leaking. You could use a paperclip or something to feel around in the hole to get an idea of how deep the damage is. You could even squirt some vulcanizing cement (patch glue) in the hole to seal it up.

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a member of both the "why risk it" club and the "why not upgrade it" club, so if I could afford it, I'd use the situation as a flimsy excuse to replace the tires with better ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replace the tire. Period. It's not a car crash you'll be involved in. If your luck is anything like mine; you won't have to question the decision.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
soft tire tread is really easy to start lifting from the carcas. Better safe than sorry, new tire!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts