Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tire is so worn that the casing is showing through. It is a small section, approximately 3.5" long and 2mm wide, right down the center of the tire. I have a new set of M1s up at my local dealer that I bought last week and I just need to get the bike over there to have them mounted. They are about 10 miles from my house by freeway or backroads - would I be okay riding it over to them?

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm with Monsterlover, if you can keep to surface streets go for it, I think I would...

T

·
0 Posts
Hell yes ride it in. I did the same about 6-7 years ago and they are still talking about it at the bike shop. Seems like every time I stop in, I hear someone exclaim "there's that crazy SOB that rides his tires to the cord". If they only new that I had finished the tire off with a burnout a few miles down the road. Poser or Holigan? Don't care it was fun!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My rear tire is so worn that the casing is showing through. It is a small section, approximately 3.5" long and 2mm wide, right down the center of the tire. I have a new set of M1s up at my local dealer that I bought last week and I just need to get the bike over there to have them mounted. They are about 10 miles from my house by freeway or backroads - would I be okay riding it over to them?
I have to say, that'd be an imprudent move - it's a risk, and the safer choice would be to tow the bike over, or take the wheels over and have the tires mounted there.

That said... :) The tire isn't going to blow out in ten miles. if it were mine, I'd definitely just ride over there - carefully.

The bigger issue here is that that tire wasn't what I'd call safe for a decent while before it started showing cord. Probably better to replace tires a good bit sooner in the future...

M.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... if it were me, I'd just ride it over, taking it easy (just like if you had brand new tires on both wheels)... no quick take-offs though.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
... if it were me, I would take both wheels off of the bike and just take those in to get new tires fitted. But I've gone to the trouble of buying a set of Pitbull stands.

Just ride the bike in, but on the back roads, not on the freeway.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys. In case anybody wants to know, I rode it over there this morning on backroads - no problems. I still need to buy a front stand, then I can do as you do Scott. The fun part now will be riding the bike home with brand new tires and semi-wet pavement!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The fun part now will be riding the bike home with brand new tires and semi-wet pavement!
Once it dries up, be sure to take it out on the local twisties and do a few easy circuits around to scrub the tires down... I did that on Hwy 9 the day after I got mine replaced (both front AND rear)... had to deal with all the local Pick-up Trucks riding my ass all the way up and down Hwy 9. I'll have to do 1 more ride at a more moderate clip to scrub the tires a little more... still have about 1-1/2 to 2" of chix strips left

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it's back home, safe and sound in my garage now. I passed on riding it home yesterday, opting to wait for a dryer day. This is my first time riding on brand new tires, other than riding demo bikes that have been scrubbed a bit. The guy at the shop recommended that I do 30-40 miles of freeway before really getting into it. Daffe, you recommend hitting the twisties (with caution, of course). So what technique do you guys recommend for safely breaking them in?

Michael, thanks for the offer - I'll have to remember that the next time!

O

·
0 Posts
there is a mold release agent on the tire, so it's probly all over it.. you should be carefull.
just read about in cycle world, this guy used goo gone to remove release agent.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
The best way to scrub the tires is doing donuts in an empty parking lot.

Also scrubbing the rear is more crucial than the front.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I rode the bike home on brand new tires... (maybe 10 mi. or so)... then the next day, took it REALLY easy going up in the twisties with cars tailgating me. I wanted to get enough R/L turns in so that I could scrub the tires well before I went on a group ride.

REALLY easy means going about 5 - 10 mph below speed limit depending on the rated speed (around turns)... in 45 mph turns I was traveling around 30 - 35 mph. I did about 30 min up on Hwy 9 and then back. Next time out, I lessened the speed difference (maybe kept speed limit to posted speed).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts