Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 316 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
joeducati said:
I am on my first set of Avon Azero Sprt touring 45/46   They rock!   they are way better than the 205's it came with.   I am very happy with the set.  ;D
I'm vry interested in your experience with these. I've considered them, as I really like the idea of the harder rubber in the middle and softer at the edges where you really need it. I've been a Metzeler loyalist for many years, but could switch if the promise of real sportbike cornering with touring longevity in the middle is true.

philb

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use pilot roads as well. They wear well on my 620 and handle awsome.

When I got the bike it had dunlops on it, and they seemed to force me side to side even when my intent was to go straight. I didn't even wear them out, I whent to the dealer when he got new Michelens in and had them mounted.

·
Registered
887 Posts
philb said:
I'm vry interested in your experience with these. I've considered them, as I really like the idea of the harder rubber in the middle and softer at the edges where you really need it. I've been a Metzeler loyalist for many years, but could switch if the promise of real sportbike cornering with touring longevity in the middle is true.

philb
I am not going to say that these tires will stick like diablos in the corners, but I have got the chicken strips down to about 1/2 inch. I only have a few thousand miles on them now, but they still look brand new.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I put a Dunlop on the back of my s4r after a puncture got my pilot sport. My impressions were that the Michelins warmed up faster, stuck in the corners better and transmitted feel much more reliably than the 208s. The Dunlops make me nervous in the corners as I have broken them loose on exit without really trying. I hear pirelis are great but was so impressed with my Michelins that when I wear out the Dunlop I think I'll go back. I even thought about just frying the back tire off the bike just to get rid of it.  >:D

·
Registered
529 Posts
i know i'm in the minority here but I've got 1500mi on conti-force (not Attacks) frt and rear and I'd buy them again. I do agree that this tire choice thing is almost like the which oil-which gas octane to use. I ride my bike like I stole it and have worn them edge to edge. Hard to judge life; maybe another 2-3K? As far as super stickey tires on street, well makes me think high-side when you need a little give and they grab too hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this topic. It extended my agonizing by weeks before I could finally make a decision. I replaced the original (!) Dunlop 204s on my 1997 M750 @ 4000 mi. with Dunlop 208s. So far I only have about 100 miles on them but they feel good to me. They feel soft, smooth and ready to turn. I am a very inexpert/slow rider on the very twisty roads of western North Carolina.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
1. Dunlop 204s suck.
2. Those tires were so friggin' old that ANYTHING would feel better! Really, 8 yr old motorcycle tires are bad news. Technology has moved a long way since then AND the rubber is aged as well.

OTOH, after 8 years, what's another couple of weeks agonizing over your decision? ;D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Got the new 2005 Pilot Powers 2 weeks ago ... great tires

I like them a lot better than the Diablo Corsa .. I just felt they were stickier [thumbsup]

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just put on Battle Axes. Love them so far. Hook right up no matter what you do.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
joeducati said:
I am on my first set of Avon Azero Sprt touring 45/46   They rock!   they are way better than the 205's it came with.   I am very happy with the set.  ;D
Hey, joeducati. What's the latest update? I'm shopping for a new rear tire. Currently have a Metzler Z4 on; I'd like something a little stickier in the turns, though, and I commute 3-4 days a week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
new to monsters . but have ridden sportbike 99 r6, 01 rc51, 03 r6. have ran mainly, dunlop d207 thenwhen they went to the 208 so did I .but have been very impressed with the diablos that came stock on my s2r

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went from the Metzler Z6 to a new set of Sportec M1's.
WOW! What a change.
The Sportec heat's up faster, has such a great feel, and is rock solid in the turns.
I have about 1500 miles on these, with about 110 hard track miles,
and about 1000 on the freeway.
Why did I wait so long for new skins?
I highly recommend them.

Great tire.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I just finished or just about finished my first set of Pilot Powers. I may try to get one more short track session out of them. They lasted about 1200 miles. I commute to my track for a distance of 25-30 miles each way and ride the bike on the street a bit here and there but at least half of those miles are from the track. It is a tight twisty track, closer to a kart track than a real road course. I like these tires a lot and really don't have any complaints. Previously I have been using Pilot Sports and the Powers are a significant improvement in my mind. Heat up faster, last longer, stick better, and seem to have a better profile that makes the bike handle quicker. I only felt the tires slide twice and both times were from me making mistakes not the fault of the tire. They have more than enough stick to handle anything that the monster can dish out with its limited clearance. I defintily recommend the Pilot Power to anyone wanting to focus on twisty's or track days.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
887 Posts
GregorMac said:
Hey, joeducati. What's the latest update? I'm shopping for a new rear tire. Currently have a Metzler Z4 on; I'd like something a little stickier in the turns, though, and I commute 3-4 days a week.
Well a few weeks ago I was chasing DucTape around the twisties on his new S2R. He got away from me a bit in the straits, but in the turns I was right there with him. They stick just fine. maybe not true sport tires, but they work for my meager talent. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Cool. I just had my Avon Azaro ST mounted on Sunday. I have about 100 miles on it, so far, and I like it. I haven't been pushing it, but it feels good. I've got to do a twisty test here pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
GregorMac said:
Cool.  I just had my Avon Azaro ST mounted on Sunday.  I have about 100 miles on it, so far, and I like it.  I haven't been pushing it, but it feels good.  I've got to do a twisty test here pretty soon.
I rode the twisties on Mercer Island on Saturday. Chicken strips are gone on the Azaro and it felt really solid in the curves. So far, I'm real happy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
To add another angle to this topic....what size tires is everyone running? i definitely think some pilot powers are in my future, but what size? The stock 160 is much smaller than most other sport bikes out there. i was wondering what advantages/disadvantages there are to specific tire sizes on the monster. im sure a lot has to do with the specific tire profile and what not, but what does everyone like?

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Captain Intensity said:
To add another angle to this topic....what size tires is everyone running? i definitely think some pilot powers are in my future, but what size? The stock 160 is much smaller than most other sport bikes out there. i was wondering what advantages/disadvantages there are to specific tire sizes on the monster. im sure a lot has to do with the specific tire profile and what not, but what does everyone like?
On my 2000 750 I run a 160/60 rear and a 120/60 front. I think the smaller 160 helps make the bike handle a little quicker better but I'm sure others will argue. I just ordered a 120/65 to try on the front. I'm hoping it will give a touch more height and I plan to raise the rear ride height as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hello all,
As regards which tire you like I believe its a personal choice.All modern tire manufacturers generally make a good product.I,myself am quite partial to Bridgestones as I have had them on 3 of the 18 motorbikes I have owned.The worst tires I have had on a recent motorbike were Dunlop 204's on a Buell.Bad tires on a insignificent motorcycle.I did like the Bridgestones Battleaxe 010's I put on the Buell.I felt more confident cornering and stopping in a hurry which is something you do if you ride with the folks I ride with then see a cop!On my Triumph Daytona it came from the factory with Bridgestone Battleaxes and they were unbelievably sticky.I could crank that long top heavy sweet old pig over at high speed on the cam and just love it.It would carve up corners and they were great in the gravel too(missed a corner once at about 85 mph ooooooooopppppps)!!
Everyone talks about this that and the other whats good and whats not but there are certain factors one must figure into the equation:
1 is your suspension set up for you and the bikes weight?
2 do you carry passengers/luggage?
3 are you running the correct tire pressue and do you carry out often tire inspections?
4 are you using your bike for fast road use?(80+ mph)?
5 Are you using your bike for touring/general use(50-80mph range)
6 what is the ambient air temperature?
7 are you riding on relatively well maintained roads?
The list can go on etc.Whilst my motorbike riding experience has spanned 25 years,my general riding style has not changed.I like to scoot along in the 80-100 range and enjoy myself.I do not carry luggage or passengers.I always wera a helmet gloves boots a leather coat and at least full length blue jeans on matter the weather.I do inspect my tires periodically and check the air pressures often.Remember in the winter tires naturally will deflate some and they take a while to warm up.A trip of 5 miles or under in the cold winter will not normally warm up a tire in my experience.Most people live/work 5 miles or under from their work place.
So basically it comes down to this:Buy whatever you can afford for your riding style and use.Maintain and inspect regularly and don't ride beyond your ability,ESPECIALLY if you in a group having fun.They will wait for you if you are slower.The last paragraph will probably be the deciding factor on your next ride whether you come home alive or not.Thats my opinion.Ride safely
Pete.

21 - 40 of 316 Posts