Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you carry one, have you ever used it?.

• Carry on and have used it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carry one and have never needed it

• Don't carry one and never needed one

• Don't carry one but wish I had

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding this afternoon and was wondering about tire repair kits. I have had two flats while on the road, both on tube type tires...no way I'm gonna remove a wheel, break it down and patch a tube on the road. The one time a buddy came with this truck, the other time it started feeling squirrely a couple miles from home and it was flat when I pull into the garage.

I do not carry a tubless tire repair kit on the Monster...but think I should...That is the thought that made me want to do the poll.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Happened years ago. Making a left at an intersection. No oncoming traffic so I just kept going. About half way through the turn the bike got squirrely. I was able to save it and pull over. I had about a 6" nail through the sidewall and exiting the tread. I was only about a mile from work and it was all downhill, so I just pushed it and repaired it after work.
Hadn't thought of that in years. I better get a kit and keep it on the bike.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The only time I've gotten a flat on a tubeless tire while riding was on the Monster. I had just had the tire patched at the dealer the week before and whatever I ran over for the second flat made the tire so that it couldn't be patched again. If I did more truly long distance riding, I would probably get a repair kit, but I've never bothered.

I had a nail go through the rear tire and tube on a DT-175 once about five miles out of the nearest town. I took the rear wheel off of the bike and sat on the back of a friend's bike while holding it, to take it into town. Found a gas station that loaned me the tools to get the tube out, then patched it for me and put air back in. Hauled the wheel back to the bike, which we hid in the bushes, reinstalled everything and continued the ride.

If I ever seriously take up Adventure Turning with an XR650L, I'll start carrying spare tubes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts