Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the stock pirelli dragons on my m800. i was looking at another bike with the same size tire, but it looked much wider. are there substantially different profiles from one tire to the next? i understand that the higher, more rouned profile of the dragon makes it more flikable, but is it that much of a difference? i only ask because i think my tire looks WAY to skinny from behind. i dont want to lose too much in the handling deptartment, but the wider tire just looks mean!
thanks for any opinions or info folks
nick

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I'm actually looking for the same information.

Specifically which tire brands/model would look wider than the stock Pirelli Dragons and also handle well.

I would also like to move up to the 170/60/ZR17 tire size on the stock 4.5" rim.

Please help us :)

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Could be that the 750s & 800s come with a 4.5" wheel, while the 900s & 1000s come with a 5.5" wheel. The narrower wheel will make the tire stand taller and look skinnier.

--Fillmore

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rev

Yes, the 900 and 1000 comes with the 5.5" wheel, but not a 160 wide tire.

I think SAINT said that he "was looking at another bike with the same size tire".

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what someone had said, so that means i am going to have to get the ten spoke marschenis, OH NOOO!! i really like the pirellis, and the diablos are supposed to be better than the dragons, anybody running the diablos?

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Same deal though... similar tire size on a wider rim has a wider and more flattened profile. Since he made no mention of what kind of bike or what size rim the "same size tire" was on, I was offering that his tire might look narrower due to the size of his rim and not necessarily the tire profile.

I run a 180 on my 888, and 170s on my Monster 750, Laura's Monster 900 and my SS all on 5.5" wheels, and I don't visually notice the difference between the tires or brands

I've wedged a 180 on a 4.5" rim and it looked taller, but no wider than a 170. You'd just never get rid of the chicken strips without laying the bike on its side.

--Fillmore

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the other bike was a 9* honda 600, never occured to me that the rim is probably wider-dumb-ass!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Skinny tires are the new wide! ;)
I stole that from Allycat I think.

Everytime I stuffed Dunlops on they had a fairly wide profile, compared to other tires I have used.....too wide I think if going up a size, for me at least.
170 is standard issue on mine, I have shod a 180 and I didn't feel the love in the corners....so I am sticking with the 170.
I've now come to look at the wider tires as kinda ponderous, before I thought they looked cooler...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

---------------snip---------------
i really like the pirellis, and the diablos are supposed to be better than the dragons, anybody running the diablos?
My S4 came with the Dragon Evos, when those wore out I replaced 'em with Diablos. I liked both of 'em , they felt about the same to me. The rear Evo lasted longer than the Diablo, but the Evo was a year and a half old (at least) when I got ahold of the bike, so it had probably age-hardened a bit. That and I think I was riding harder by the time I got the Diablos too...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya-know, If wide is your thing, I think the new Triumph Rocket uses a 290 width tire!

Manufacturers actually will have different actual widths than eachother.

Michi's / dunlop tend to be wider where Metzelers/Pirellis' (esentially the same tire, made in the same building side by side eachother) tend to be a bit narrower for a given size.

A 170 Michi/Dunlop will rate out closer to a 175 (or so) where the Metz/Pirelli will be closer to an actual 170 for example.

Incedentially, I think Metz/Pirelli's rock! They have a softer sidewall that Tombstones/Michi's and Dunlop, which make for a really nice, confidence inspiring ride. I honestly HATE dunlops, and dislike how long it takes Michi's to warm up!! I think they suck. They do not fit my riding style - but LOVE the Sportec's/Diablos. I feel like the things will stick to ceiling! Lots of confidence, plus a great ride.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize guys that by asking about tire width repeatedly I desrve a bit of sarcasm. I don't mind, this board is a great source of info :)

Speaking of Dunlops, their web site says that the 170 fits 4.5 5 and 5.5 (5 being the best fit)

What does "michelin runs true" mean?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I switched from a stock 160 Dragon to a 170 Diablo on a 4.5" rim. This should be the same set-up that guys have.
I thought that the 170 would look better, but actually it looks about the same as the 160 because the fatter tire is squeezed on a smaller wheel - kind of a cone effect.
Also, Filmore is right. You'll never get rid of your chicken strips on the 170 - (I was really close with the 160) plus the 170 feels heavier and not as "flickable".
Your choice, but I'm going back to a 160 until I track down a wider 5.5" rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
What does "michelin runs true" mean?
The tread width on a Michelin is actually 170mm, whereas the tread width of the Dunlop is ~175mm according to CK.

The thing that I realized a couple of years ago when I was in my wide tire phase is that the tire has an "effective tread width" as well... That is, if you're not using a 160 to the edges, you aren't getting anymore tire by mounting up a 170. In fact, by increasing tire size on a 4.5" wheel, you could actually be reducing the size of the contact patch by distorting the manufacturer's intended profile shape.

Even though I've run 170s on 4.5" wheels, they certainly didn't deliver the handing of the same tire mounted to a 5.5" wheel. I've now got quite a few miles on the combo of a 170 Metzeler Sportec on 5.5" rims and that's the one I'm most comfortable on. (My supermoto runs a 110/60 front on a 3" rim and a 150/60 rear on a 4" rim and I'd like to get a streetbike to turn like that.)

To me, a 160 scrubbed close to the edge is much cooler looking than a 170 with an inch of unused rubber on each side of the tread.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
366 Posts
You could put a plate on your Supermoto. ;D (Sorry, couldn't resist).

There's definitely an interplay between rim size and tire size. I briefly had a Kawi Z1000 w/ a 190 on the back (stock). While I could scrub the rear right to the edge, the bike was not nearly as responsive as with a 180 on the same rim.

(My supermoto runs a 110/60 front on a 3" rim and a 150/60 rear on a 4" rim and I'd like to get a streetbike to turn like that.)

--Fillmore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts