Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around I saw the majority of people riding around 30/31 on the M696. However I am about 115lbs, so any suggestions on what psi I should be riding at? Just checked it and it was low, 25/28...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Suggested tire pressure is suggested tire pressure. Weight does not matter, unless you are riding 2 up.

You set the suspension for the riders weight, not the tires.

2 low a pressure means too much flex, too much heat, potential tire failure, and it ruins the profile and turn in. Alsao can lead to a bent rim fromhitting a pothole.

Go with what is suggested.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
To the contrary, tire pressure most certainly should be adjusted for the total weight of the vehicle, including passengers. More mass means more deformation of the tires, so the PSI should be increased to keep them where they should be.

Most manuals do one of two things:
Give recommended pressures for a single rider, and another set for riding with a passenger (or while fat, which is implied).
Give recommended pressures which err on the side of safety and assume a passenger, and leave determining single-occupant pressures to the rider's discretion.

Most recommendations I see have you set the rear to about 38-40 PSI and front to about 35-36 PSI when you have a passenger, depending on the type of motorcycle. Sport and sport touring bikes have the passenger ride higher, so the difference in pressure increase between front and rear is smaller than on a cruiser. Cruisers generally recommend only adding air to the rear because the passenger sits so low and rearward that there's a minimal change as far as the front tire is concerned.

Edit: The recommendation for the 1100 (which is likely similar to the 696 as they're about the same weight) is, IIRC, 34.8 PSI rear and 31.9 PSI front, with an increase to 34.8 PSI front if you expect to hit potholes and similar hazards (to protect the rim).

I ride 35 PSI front and rear and never have traction issues under normal conditions, including during the winter. In my opinion, a lower pressure is only good for racing, and for wearing out your tires more quickly. But every rider feels comfortable at a different level, so do what you feel is best. But at 115 lbs. keep in mind that the recommended pressures are likely slightly too high for you. Maybe decrease by 1 PSI from recommended.

Remember: this is cold tire inflation, which means in the morning before the sun hits it and before you ride. In-use pressures will be higher.

·
Registered
663 Posts
To the contrary, tire pressure most certainly should be adjusted for the total weight of the vehicle, including passengers. More mass means more deformation of the tires, so the PSI should be increased to keep them where they should be.

Edit: The recommendation for the 1100 (which is likely similar to the 696 as they're about the same weight) is, IIRC, 34.8 PSI rear and 31.9 PSI front, with an increase to 34.8 PSI front if you expect to hit potholes and similar hazards (to protect the rim).

I ride 35 PSI front and rear and never have traction issues under normal conditions, including during the winter. In my opinion, a lower pressure is only good for racing, and for wearing out your tires more quickly. But every rider feels comfortable at a different level, so do what you feel is best. But at 115 lbs. keep in mind that the recommended pressures are likely slightly too high for you. Maybe decrease by 1 PSI from recommended.
Pretty much my point, at the posters 25 front 28 rear, you are below recommended racing pressure, a 1 or 2 pound decrease from recommended is probably the max reducation that s/b considered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts