Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since We are talking about tires....I am due in about 1000. Jeff Nash's (ducati prothunder champ) mechanic said he liked Dunlop. I asked another Factory Suzuki rider who said go Michellin. I also think the 999 Comes with Michellin stock. Tell me the best way to go and why!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I think we'd need to know a little more about the way you ride, and what the goals are for the tire performance.

The tires that race teams use live a much different life than our street tires.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I commute to work As much as possible, year round, 20 miles each way, in Texas. The bike has not yet seen a track but i like to find some twisties on the weekends. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being GP superbike champ..I am about a 3-4 on skill level.

I guess what i was looking for was what most people like and why.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Tires must be selected with criteria the riding style .In my opinion Bridgestone are the best tires i've ever bought.They do all the job that i want(never slipped in acceleration, out of a corner or breaking).They are a bit softer and little more expensive than other brands though.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tires must be selected with criteria the riding style .In my opinion Bridgestone are the best tires i've ever bought.They do all the job that i want(never slipped in acceleration, out of a corner or breaking).They are a bit softer and little more expensive than other brands though.
Which model Bridgestones do you use?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm really happy with my Metzler Sportec M-1's right now.

They stick well, pretty good in the wet, and cold. They seem to be lasting pretty well for a sport tire too.

I've always had good luck with Dunlops too.

My last Bridgestone BT-020's were decent, but the front one wore funny "cupped".

Jeff

S

·
0 Posts
I have the Pirelli Diablos and love them had them at the track and they performed flawlessly. I did find out an interesting fact from one of the Aprilia managers. He said that the Pirelli and Metzler's use the exact rubber compound, they are made in the same factory, no wonder my friend who has the M-1's loves them so much.

Now as far as street riding I still love the Pirelli Diablos, I have had a two wheel drift with Dunlop 208's and the back end step out on Michelin Pilot Sports. They both take a while to heat up and really have a hard time when it is cold, rainy or both. I was not pushing when the tires slide it was pretty unexpected.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Another happy Metzeler Sportec M-1 customer here. I've got them on my Monster and my 888. When I get rid of the Dunlops that Higgie passed on to me with his 900SS, I may try the Diablos.

On the more commuting/sport touring side of the ring, I've had good luck with the Michelin Pilot Road/Macadam series of tires.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm really happy with my Avon AV 45/46 ST combo. I do mostly all-round riding.

I have taken these tires to Tail of the Dragon in the mountains once, and did a track day once on them. After 2,000 miles they still have a good 6/32" tread depth in the middle. And they grip good enough that I was getting around the track 3 seconds faster than I did on a Keith Code Kaw 636 running on Dunlops. :D Everything else has been just tooling around the local area for an hour or two whenever I get the chance.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Haven't gone through the OEM tires on the Monster yet, but I've used up a few pairs of Dunlop D220's on the Interceptor and they're way stickier than I need in the twisties, good wet or dry, and last a long time. I may go with those, or if they've got the sizes right, Pirelli Skorpions look like they belong on a hooligan bike. They let me drag pegs on the KLR, and those pegs are a long way up.

-Don

·
Registered
287 Posts
My S4 came stock with D207-RR's No complaints, and right now, there are places here in arizona that are selling them REALLY cheap! Cycle Gear had front and rear for like $160 for the pair! I think they are no longer making them and getting rid of inventory. But that is a GREAT price on race replica tires, maybe not what you are in the market for...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I swapped the Pilot Sports for Dunlop 208's (also at Jeff Nash's suggestion). I like the Dunlops a lot better. They seem quite a bit stickier to me. And the Michelins seem to take a LONG time to warm up by comparison.

This is on my S4, by the way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you do much commuting, a sport touring tire is a good choice. Stickier tires are great as long as you can keep them on their sides, but commuting wears the center tread way too fast for me.

I've got Dunlop D220's on my bike now. I'm @ 5K on them, looking to make it to 6 before they wear out. And they are great in the Colorado twisties.

I do have a small cupping problem on the front, but I think that's a function of too little weight on the front wheel. I'll be switching to clip-ons and hopefully that will help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts