Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
How may miles can I get out of a Pirelli Dragon Evo tires (stock on '03 800)?

Whta is the maximum width that can be placed on the rear rim without sacrifice?

What type of sport tires are suggested for street that are good for everyday usage and are good in rainy, slick conditions (whenever I get caught)?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've got just over 5000 on my Dragon Evos.
The front still looks reasonable, may get another 2k to 3k before the shape gets too strange.
The rear is nearly a slick in the center. It's gotta be replaced.
BTW, there's no burnouts on that tire, just some commuting.

Usually the manufacturer's online sites for tires have recommended rim widths for different sizes. I think a 160 is the max that's typically recommended for the 4.5" rim on the back of your 800.
Some folks here may have fitted a wider tire on that rim.

Haven't ridden my bike much at all in wet conditions, so I can't even vouch for the performance of the Dragon Evos in that.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Tire wear can depend on riding......160 as I am sure you are aware is recommended for a 4.5 rim......sacrifice on a 170 would be slower handling to some degree and a safety issue if pushing too large a tire on a rim not made for it.....
All kinds of suggestions for sportbike tires I am sure.....again it depends on how you ride...
For everyday use and good traction in rain also....I think the Metzelar M1 Sportec's which I believe come from the same factory as the Pirelli's and the Bridgestone BT010's are good performers
and cost less.....Want to spend more Pirelli Diablo's and Michelin
Pilot Sports.....I personally cannot recommend the Dunlop 208ZR for the rain.....there are other tires that are harder and last longer......I just prefer a softer tire. I believe Pirelli is also offering a trackday coupon with the Diablo's 'til the end of October....

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I just got about 7000 miles on my stock Pirelli's. I took it in to get my 6000 mile service and my mechanic told me I should look into getting new tires. He said I should have about a 1000 left but I drove it for about 150 mi and that was it. Once those Dragons start to look worn in the middle, by new ones! After that 150 miles, I could see the steel coming through the middle. Maybe they just wore really quick because the pavement is about 150 degrees here in Phoenix, who knows? You just dont want them to shred while you're going down the highway. My front tire looked fine. I invested $230 in 2 new Metzlers. The dealer said between 8000-10000miles before they need replacing.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
I just replaced the stock Metzeler tire on my 01 M750 after about 3000 miles. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains so we go though tires about as quickly as oil. Anyways, I went to a Metzeler M-1 which I got for about 145 bucks. I am very pleased and they seem to do well in about anything thrown at them, well except gravel I guess. They seem to be very sticky and last about as long can be expected in the mountains. For the money, which I need alot of being in college, I loved the Metzeler.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My Michelin Pilot Sport lasts about 4000 on the rear of the S4. A lot of people here are using the new Dunlop because it sticks better so I think I will try those next. It is a LOT cheaper as well. But I doubt the mileage will be as good.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I am going on a ride next weekend with some of the guys riding them, so I will ask some more questions. I think they have them on a ST4S, a 999 and a 916. Don't know about any Monsters. I will need a new rear after this ride (both if I switch brands).

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I've got Michelin Pilot Sports with 5000 miles on them. I don't expect to get but a few more miles on them. I'm going back with the same tire. I've got no complaints about them at all well except maybe the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Pirelli Diablos....I love them. I have 3500 miles on the set and should get 1000-1500 more (I hope) out of the rear. They may last better here in Western Washington due to the cooler temperatures year round than most places IMO. They are the best tire I have had on wet roads and feel very planted in the dry. After reading your posts I am very glad I did not go with the D208's.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I also have the Diablos and like them a lot. I went from the stock 160 to a 170 in my M800 when the originals wore out and I'm much happier. I found the turn in to be too fast, almost twitchy on the bike with 160s. Now with the 170s I have to push more firmly on the bars, but I feel my lean angle is much more controllable and predictable.

In regard to tire wear, I'm not getting anywhere near what you guys are. On my stock Pirelli Dragon's I got maybe 3300 miles. I now have 5000 on the Diablo's and think I could get 1000 more out of them. I'm almost shocked at the difference...

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
i like the michelin macadam's for pretty decent traction and good mileages... typically i could get 6000-8000 miles on the rear of 90x's... i've currently got 100x's on the 900ss and so far am very happy with 'em... the 90x's would cup pretty badly up front, the 100x front profile really fixed that though.

i like the pilot sports for traction... those things really stick in all kinds of conditions but i can only get about 3600 miles out of a rear tire.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'm running Avon AV 45/46 ST combo on mine. I just measured the wear this afternoon, and in 1500 miles the center of the rear has lost 1/32 inch. At that rate, I should get about 6,000 miles out of it.

I love them. They stick really well. Had them in the mountains once and was impressed. Good feel and stable. This morning I spun up the rear big time crossing a white crosswalk stripe lengthwise at the apex of a wide left turn. (At about 35-40 rolling on throttle) :eek: Rear end stepped out smoothly until it found asphalt again, then settled down without jerking or anything to raise my pulse suddenly. They felt good in the couple of rain storms I've run through, also.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well, the Dunlop was pretty popular with the local Duc riders, so I gave them a shot on my S4. I took the 208's out for a track day and am pleased. I think I prefer them over the Pilot Sports, but then I never had the Michelins on the track. The rear has almost no chicken strips left and presented no problems. The chicken strips are a lot bigger on the front, but I think that is more a result of my riding than a comment on the tire.

I have not tried them in the wet.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
My Pilot Sport checked out at 2900 miles. The little Michelin man in the chicken strip is even gone! Picked up a set of Pilot Race take-offs on Ebay. Dirt cheap, about 95% left.
(just in time for snow)

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I should be getting my new rims today. Going from a 160 to a 180 tire. Where is the cheapest place to get tires?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts