Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been raining a little lately, and my Monster is dirty. I need to wash/clean it. This will be the first wash of my new bike. Any tips? Do I cover something? What do I make sure I do or don't do? What products do you use?

Thanks,
Jarik

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a good section in the FAQ of this website. Here is the link: Detailing

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I was going to tell you to avoid spraying water on the ignition, for fear of ice in the keyhole....But.... you are one of those Californians!! But FBF says to avoid spraying water on the oil sensor plug, this can cause your oil light to come on for no reason.

·
Registered
376 Posts
From personal experience, I'd recommend you don't hit the gauges too hard with the water, they are prone to leaking a little.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Quick question: Where's the oil sensor plug located? I'll avoid it then.

Also, does anyone use a dryer? Any pros and cons?

·
Registered
849 Posts
The oil pressure sensor is next to your oil filler hole. As far as blow drying - I just ride it around the block, and that takes care of a lot of the water that gets caught in the nooks and crannies.

I'm not an authority on detailing. I clean my chain far more often than my bikes. Now that you mention it, they look filthy. Maybe I should put them out in the rain for rinsing... :D

-R.

·
Registered
287 Posts
two words on drying... LEAF BLOWER!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
We use a leaf blower, and also I use the big salamander heater we have to heat up the bikes and garage ( it blows the heat), and I still wipe with a soft cloth.
In the summer we usually just wipe dry with a soft cloth, in the winter it is just way too cold and the heater keeps you warm and drys the bike!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I use "Bike Brite" on all the grimmy and greasy stuff. It works really well (and is biodegradable). Dishwashing soap (like "Joy") on the rest.

I had trouble with the gauges fogging up and the digital display not working after washing (the first time). Now I cover them with a plastic bag first.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
.... not sure about the wipe method... might want to at least spray it down with very low pressure garden hose before wiping so you don't get any scratches on your paint (esp. if it's a dark).

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Naww!! you didn't put it away for the winter DIRTY, and your telling me to get rid of the "ugly" tail!!! Ugly tail, dirt, same thing isn't it? ;)
Or is it like I'm fat and your ugly and I can go on a diet?? ;D
Actually, I always say, "Don't hate me cause I'm pretty... Hate me cause you ugly!"

No, really, it's not that dirty. I just make it a point not to be a slave to a piece of machinery.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Actually, I always say, "Don't hate me cause I'm pretty... Hate me cause you ugly!"

No, really, it's not that dirty. I just make it a point not to be a slave to a piece of machinery. I do clean it, I just don't do that great of a job at it. With a wife, 2 kids, a job, and a business to run, if I get ANY free time, I spend it riding, not rubbing!

So what's the excuse for the big, fat, tail? ;D

you already ARE a slave to machinery... if you've done ANY upgrades to your monster, you've become a slave to it b/c you're spending $$$ on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts