Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just purchased a used 696 and I'm looking for some advice on this bike and motorcycles in general. This is my first bike and I'm interested in any advice that would be appropriate.

For example, these are a few things I can think of off the top of my head:

1 - Should I change the oil myself? (I grew up on a farm so I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined) Will this affect the warranty?

2 - Winter storage advice. The bike will be in the heated basement of my house. Just stabilizer in the gas tank and unhook the battery? Stands for the bike to keep the wheels off the ground? Run it a couple of times during the winter for a few minutes?

3 - Best way to care for the chain? Chain wax? Anything else here is appreciated!

Any and all advice is appreciated. Looking forward to life with a Ducati......I don't think I'll ever own another brand.

Thanks,

JD

·
Registered
21 Posts
First, get familiar with your Monster and change the oil yourself. Keep the receipts for the oil and filter, and there should be no problem with the warranty.

There are several schools of thought concerning winter storage. I'm a Florida guy myself, so it doesn't present a problem. Some people like to keep the bikes on battery tenders, while others prefer the starting and running for awhile. A fuel stabilizer is a must, though, for any length of storage. I keep my 1098 on a battery tender most of the time since I actually ride it the least. My Harley bagger sometimes sits for three months before I get it out for a ride. It also stays on a battery tender, and I have had no problems whatsoever.

Methods of chain care are basically up to you. Chain waxes are good for O-ring chains. I've used the spray chain wax with no problems. In fact, one called Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant can be purchased at Home Depot or hardware stores. It is a good lubricant dissolved in a fast-evaporating carrier that penetrates and protects. Just make sure your chain stays clean!

With the M696 two-sided swing arm, it is a bit more difficult to get the bike up on a stand. I would appreciate any suggestions for a good stand for mine as well.

Just my two-cents worth from a fellow rider . . . . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 696 also, but haven't been able to put too many miles on it. Once I hit the mark for my first service, I'm going to bring it in for the oil change and have the mechanic at my dealer just take a quick look at everything (I talked about my opinion that it runs pretty lean with him and he wanted to check it out). But after the first service, I plan on changing the oil myself.

Winter storage, I agree with using fuel stabilizer. I opted to keep my old Monster 620 on a battery tender and will do the same for the 696. Really, if you think about it, it's the only solution that is not a pain in the ass. If you don't realize this yet, the battery is a pain to get to. I've gotten to it once to hook up the battery tender cables and don't ever want to see that damn battery again until I need to replace it.

As for the chain, I take it out for a spin to get the chain nice and warm. Then I spray clean it and spray lube it up. I don't recall the brands that I use, but I got it from my dealer.

I can't think of anything else I do for winter. As for stands for the 696, I bought a Pit Bull:

http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=F0028-000&Category_Code=rear_stands

You can also get a standard stand (without the spools) from Pit Bull for ~ $10 less. I use the standard support to lift the swingarm. I only use the rear stand for chain maintenance. For storage, I use the Baxley Sport Chock on the front tire.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Fuel stabilizer is a must. I use Sea Foam brand. I'm from the school of leaving the battery connected, but on a tender. I change my own oil, filter, and clean the screen. I always use new gaskets for the drain plug and the screen. I also change my oil every 2500 miles instead of whatever schedule Ducati recommends. I'm a fan of Mobil-1 synthetic oil and that's what I use. Lots of good chain lube on the market, just be sure it's O-ring safe. I've got a Bulldog rear stand that I use on my 696. It's really overkill for such a light bike, but you can also use the bulldog on a big Harley or Honda.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts