Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ducati recommends replacing the belts every 12,000 miles, at least for the 750, i am sure others are similar. but the belts are gates belts which i know go for many more miles on other applications, anybody have any info as to why this is, or how many miles people have gotten on there belts. it seems to me to just be a little ridiculous but maybe not, let me know whats up with them.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
the belts on your duc turn a much tighter radius on the bike than they do on cars. the cam sprockets are really teeny as compared to car applications. this produces more heat from the belt flexing, and a shorter service life.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I thought it was 12,000k's (kilometers)

did my first DIY belt change last night......doh

It sooo easy though, it's gotta be good insurance!

$100 & 30mins for Belts...............K4,000 for a rebuild

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, i know it is not 12,000km, k stands for miles, and if you look in your owners manual it says to replace your belts in your 12,000k service

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I thought it was 12,000k's (kilometers)
The owners manual for my '99 M750 says to change the belts every 20,000km or 12,000miles (which means you imperial-measuring Americans are replacing your belts about 500miles sooner than we metric folk ;-) )

big

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
like everything of that nature, they have a safety margin. Ducati would not want them breaking before the stated service time. When my first one's was changed, it was done while in a compulsory service and when I had a look at em they looked pretty bloody good. I've kept a regular check on this set and I've had em on for 26,000klm's and they still look ok.

T

·
0 Posts
I pulled the belts off on my 996 at 10K miles (12K service)... and found some scuffing on all 3 of my horizontal pulleys, to the point where they are going to need to be replaced.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the belt had started to come apart in between the ridges, wearing the pulleys. The belts looked to be in great shape other than that... just that one little section.

Personally...I wouldn't push the belt replacement. If one of them goes, your going to be kicking yourself in the butt for a long time...and for less than $100 it's worth the peace of mind ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts