Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone I have done a search on this topic but could not find the answer I am looking for. I have a 04 s4r that had its 12k service done and the belts should have been changed. The part # on the parts break down shows 73740103b but they charged me for 73710101a. When I question this they told me it had been superseded to the new part # which was Kevlar reinforced, I remember reading some were about this. Anyway I have my covers off inspecting things and I have found that the part# on the belt is the # the break down calls for NOT what they charged me for. What is what? Did I get ripped off again? a once again disgruntled Dan.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I think at this point it would be pretty hard to find a belt that was not Kevlar. If your belts have red writing they are Kevlar. Is there a difference in price between the belts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am unsure of the price for the old part# but the new one is (73710101a belt z=93 st4s/01) $62.83 a piece.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Hard to make a comparison with only one price :-\ If you were charged for the wrong part # there may be a difference, either in your favor or theirs. If so, probably not much.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Just as a point of reference, I just changed belts on my 2003 M1000, and the belts that I got were not the same part number as my 2003 parts diagram, but had been superseded like 2 or 3 times. If you trust the shop you bought them for, I would trust you got the right belt. Any belts for the newer bikes (s4r included), you shouldn't have to worry about the construction of them. The older bikes (mid to late 90's I think), had weaker belts available you had to worry about.

And yes, I paid about 65 bucks a piece for them - yikes!

mitt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called another shop and explained my situation. They said that there is no price difference between the two. However the belts they put one the bike should have the new part# if they did indeed changed them. If they had some old ones left in stock the ticket should reflect this. I guess what I need to know now is if they did change them, because I am not the only one who has had problems with this shop. Is there a way to check if the belts are old? Also they seem a little loose to me, I can spin the tensioner and idler pulleys by hand with the belt in place. thanx once again this site is great! Dan

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
When the belts are new, they feel very different than the old. The old get kind of hard and shiney on the outer layer, the new ones are kind of soft and pliable.

The belts have printed text on the outside layer - I could read it on my new belts, but not my old ones, it gets rubbed off and smeared from the tensioner pullies.

Good luck.

mitt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts