Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you pay for timing belt change?A mechanic asked me 300 Euros!Isn't it too much?(Monster 600 '97).Please help!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
12 views and no replies. I'm feeling bad for you :'(

I don't know if service costs are different in the US, but here's my experience:

I got a full 6k service + belt change for not much over $300. That includes valve adjustment, oil change, hydraulic fluids, etc. So 300 Euros for just the belt does sound pretty high to me. I have never had just that service done though, so I can't give you a US price for it.

I would expect the belt change to be an hour of labor plus parts. It's really not too involved.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Like Don, I can't give firsthand experience. But I agree it's probably worth about an hour of shop time. I paid about $30 each for two belts. Most shops around me charge $70 per hour labor. So for just that job should be about $130 USD.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Belt changes are an easy do-it-yourself job. Adjustment isn't hard and it doesn't have to be real exact. Lots of instructions on the web (ducatisuite.com). Buy the belts for $25 each and do it yourself.

Belts---$50
Labor--$75 (varies)

Total--$125

Q

·
0 Posts
Hi man. I also agree that you should change it yourself. If you're needing help doing it, feel free to ask me. I have done it a couple of time now.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Belts go for about $12 each (or a little more). It's easy to replace at home by yourself.

Valve adj. at home are not that difficult either (did mine the other weekend with the help of Chris Ice). You just need a shim kit and valve adj. tools. you can get a shim kit for $200. (worth it if you consider how much a valve adj is.

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone know if the 2 valver belt adjustment translates to the 4 valver?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
many people settle for 5mm of deflection between the cams while that cylidner is at TDC. i have tried this and referenced the settings against the proper factory tool and the human hand has poor repeatability. btw, i do have a couple of the proper 4V belt tensioning tools in stock for about 5/8 what they cost from ducati...

:) chris

S

·
0 Posts
many people settle for 5mm of deflection between the cams while that cylidner is at TDC. i have tried this and referenced the settings against the proper factory tool and the human hand has poor repeatability.
:) chris
Umm....could you clarify.

Are you saying 5mm trick works or not? I use this method and hope it works.

TIA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts