Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to make my M696 a little less unpleasant to ride at low speed, in town etc I fitted a throttle tamer today. Apart from the need to adjust a little slack from the cable it took just a few minutes to fit and the difference was obvious right away! It is now possible to roll on the throttle gently and the whole experience of riding at low speed, in town type riding, is about 85% better. The engine is still running in it 'awkward' rev range, so the next step is to fit a 14T front sprocket to put the revs in to an area where ther engine is a little happier. Once I've done that I'm going to take the throttle tamer off to get a direct comparison. I suspect it will be back on after the test run.

I'll report my findings as I try them, but so for feel the Throttle Tamer is a big improvement!

Ian

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm willing to bet it will be back on :) When you do put it back on, go with the # 300 cam :) I went with the 41 tooth rear vice a 14T front and I'm happy. The fuelling is still well...Ducati below 3500-3800 ish RPM

·
Registered
136 Posts
The throttle made my 796 much more low speed friendly than before. It eliminated about 85% of the on and off throttle for me. Was going to go with the 14T but it made such a big difference for me, think I'll stick with stock gearing for now

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The Tamer was some of the best money that I've spent on this bike.

There are the people who will say that you don't need it and you should just "learn to ride", but I've been riding since the mid-80s, so I ignore that bit of 'advice'.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
14T Sprocket

Today I removed the Throttle Tamer put the standard throttle back on and fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket. Then went for a test ride to Cooks Corner and the Lookout on Ortega Highway.

The difference is amazing! It truly transforms the bike and I have to say todays ride was by far the most enjoyable I have evr had on this bike. The driveability from low speed is smoother and inspires much more confidence and feel.

Next I'll re-fit the Throttle Tamer and adjust the cable to take out the slack. My feeling now having felt both these things individually is that with both the smaller sprocket and the Throttle Tamer fitted the bike will be even better to ride.

More feedback soon!

Ian
San Clemente, CA

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have both, but my TT is a #300 cam. Others have said the #500 was too soft so I'm glad I went this way. I really like the manageability of the bike more now. Honestly, some people prefer the bite of the stock throttle, but I'm also with the camp that says Ducati should ship these bikes out with a 14T front.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have both, but my TT is a #300 cam. Others have said the #500 was too soft so I'm glad I went this way. I really like the manageability of the bike more now. Honestly, some people prefer the bite of the stock throttle, but I'm also with the camp that says Ducati should ship these bikes out with a 14T front.
I'm with you there. I went up on the back on my 796, so 15 front and 41 rear.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Throttle Tamer

After a bit of a break, I finally got around to fitting the throttle tamer back on the bike today. The 14T front sprocket was an improvement on its own as was the Throttle Tamer on its own so taday I got to try them both together.

When I previously tried the Throttle Tamer the throttle cable was not adgusted and it had some slack, so there was some 'dead' motion in the twistgrip which made it difficult to ride. Today I adjusted out the slack to get a proper feel for how well it worked. There was almost not enough adjustment but I did just get it adjusted correctly!

81F in Orange County today so a ride was in order!

Each element, 14T and TT were better one their own and together they really do make the bike much nice to ride. You can smoothly roll the throttle on in town with out the jerkiness that was present before. The slowness of the TT takes a little getting used to; it needs a bit more positive 'blip' when changing down etc. but overall I really like it a lot.

I can see how some might find it too slow, and a #300 cam might be worth trying, but this is a huge step in the right direction.

Try it - you'll like it!!

Ian

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gary Gibbs shipped my G2 Tamer with the 500 Cam. I have no complaints and like it very much. It makes it far more docile/compliant like what I'd expect from a EFI throttle.

·
Registered
371 Posts
On my '09 696 the stock gearing was 15/45. so while I had it torn down, I went up in the back to a 48 rather than down in the front to a 14. The take off is very smooth, but cruising on the freeway puts me at 6k rpm in 6th. When I set up my next one, I think I'll go 15/46. Down 1 in the front is said to be equivalent to up three in the back, so I think the 14 front or a 48 rear on this bike just doesn't give you an efficient highway performance, but it is quite nice in tight corners. Set it up to where you spend the most time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,
Doing the math the stock ratio 15/45 is 0.3333. Going to 14/45 gives you 0.3111. 15/48 is 0.3125 so almost the same as stock. So 15/46 or 15/47 are just fine increments inbetween.

I do find the revs a bit hi on the freeway, but I don't use my bike on the freeway if I can help it. I like the lower gearing for the canyons though! I might try one of the fine ingrements when I come to replace the rear sprocket.

Raining in SoCal today, but Ducati weather by Wednesday or Thursday!

Ian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts