Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a throttle tamer that ill fit a 2014 1200?

G2 makes some but they are only compatible with older bikes...
CNC racing makes one but it appears to be the factory cam ratio.

Throttle is waaaayyy too snatchy especially at low speed. I get its a big twin...a 'Ducati thing' or whatever, but cmon. I've ridden plenty of large displacement twins where you're not almost bucked off hitting a small bump cause you accidentally snatched on the throttle.

I'm installing a power commander tomorrow so hopefully that will help a little.

Alternatively, is there a throttle tube from a Scrambler or something that would fit and offer a easier on/off transition?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It is.
Can they even do riding modes if it is not ride by wire?
If so, I don't see how it could be that effective. I guess what I'm getting at is it doesn't use a conventional throttle tube that can be changed. I wouldn't think so at least. I've never had one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If so, I don't see how it could be that effective. I guess what I'm getting at is it doesn't use a conventional throttle tube that can be changed. I wouldn't think so at least. I've never had one.
It turns it is ride by wire, and a throttle tube with different cams isn't a solution on this bike. I didn't realize this, and was barking up the wrong tree...

On the flip side, adding a power commander ( ie adding fuel to a starved motor) pretty much fixed the problem. The stock fuel map is pathetically lean, to the point where I could get the bike to die at idle by blipping the throttle. Proper fueling more or less eliminated the obnoxious unpredictable, snatchy on/off transitions and overall made the bike way more rideable. Not to mention the top end power increase, as if it needs any more lol.

I don't know if it's cause I got a California bike, or what, but jesus.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You definitely have to have that fuel. The factory maps are scary lean. The current fuel map I'm running on my 07 695 has longer durations across the board than the stock 1000 of the same year. And yet maintains a near perfect 12.6 -13.2% AFR from idle to the Rev limiter with pump gas. (Many hours of butt-dyno time have confirmed that to be it's happy place) I think they try and make up for it every year by adding displacement. Just like a certain American motorcycle manufacturer. Imagine a 1198cc Monster 15 years ago. With a little tuning you'd have a 200hp widowmaker on your hands.

And the standard cable operated factory throttle is boggling. How they can progress over the years from big Mikuni flat-slides into sophisticated multi-port EFI and yet retain the same throttle design. Sure, you needed all that travel in order to make those big carbs start doing anything on the low end. But it's practically unrideable on a modern motor. Did a single engineer at Ducati ever make that connection?

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's odd because mine is a California bike, but no problems like you describe. It goes like hell.
In a good way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone know a throttle tamer that ill fit a 2014 1200?

G2 makes some but they are only compatible with older bikes...
CNC racing makes one but it appears to be the factory cam ratio.

Throttle is waaaayyy too snatchy especially at low speed. I get its a big twin...a 'Ducati thing' or whatever, but cmon. I've ridden plenty of large displacement twins where you're not almost bucked off hitting a small bump cause you accidentally snatched on the throttle.

I'm installing a power commander tomorrow so hopefully that will help a little.

Alternatively, is there a throttle tube from a Scrambler or something that would fit and offer a easier on/off transition?

Thanks guys.
consider getting the throttle spacers from ducatispacers, helps with the slop in the throttle that will make it more precise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately it says the Ducati spacer kit is only compatible with the 2017 + Monster 1200 for some reason. I'll reach out to them to double check

·
Registered
41 Posts
cool I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately it says the Ducati spacer kit is only compatible with the 2017 + Monster 1200 for some reason. I'll reach out to them to double check
oh that's weird, maybe the pre 2017 used a different ride by wire throttle housing? the 2017+ uses a throttle design that is common across some manufacturers, i had it on my triumph thruxton r as well and it was identical in the mechanicals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts