Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a leisurely approach to installing the new opening cable so I wouldn't get in a hurry and mess up the new cable or anything on the bike. Did a little work. Stopped for dinner. Finished the installation afterward.

And yes, you can install throttle cables without pulling the airbox if you are careful.

I still had the bike on the trailer which put it at a good height. Almost like having it on a lift. Headlight and fairing have to come off. Instrument cluster unbolted to lift just high enough to unbolt the brake line splitter to pass the cable behind it. And the oil cooler has to be unbolted and let down to rest on a cloth or pad on the back of the front fender.

Lube the new cable.

Route the new opener cable alongside the closer cable which was still hooked up. From the left side of the bike it is possible to reach in from the front under the carbs with the left hand. With the index finger, pull the throttle quadrant that the cable attaches to down as far as possible (opening the throttle plates). With the right hand insert a thin metal rod in from the left of the bike in through the frame above the vert cylinder intake. You can see the hole and slot in the quadrant where the cable end goes. Put the thin rod in across the top of the quadrant and out of the way of that hole and release the quadrant with the left index finger so it rests on the rod and is held open.

I tried to get some pics of this job, but it was impossible to shoot up between the cylinders and carbs.

Since you can only see the place the cable end goes form the left side, it's best to work from there. You can reach in with both hands - the left from the same direction as before, and the right hand from under the vert cyl intake. Use the right hand to curl the cable up and over toward the quadrant and use the left hand to insert the cable end in through the slot and into it's hole. Once your sure it's where it's supposed to be and it's staying in the groove it lays in, reverse the procedure with the rod to remove it. Then from the right side of the bike put the adjuster at the carb end in its bracket and barely snug it up.

Install the other end in the throttle assembly without kinking it and bolt the throttle back together(easier said than done - and I don't have a good method to describe). Check the adjusters and make sure you have a few mm slack. Finish tightening the adjuster at the carb end and make the final adjustment at the throttle end to have 1-2 mm slack measured at the outer edge of the grip against a mark on the housing. Reinstall the brake line splitter and instrument cluster and the rest of the stuff.

Whew!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yet another reason to LOVE those FCR's. Cable change in 10 minutes. Nothing to remove, loosen, etc. like the stockers.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna have to do this now. I just installed my Vortex clip-ons and Spareshack steering damper, which took three hours (I'd already removed the old handlebar). I bolted it all up, checked everything carefully, took it out for a ride and a block away from my apt. the throttle cable snapped. Well, I guess it could have been worse. I'm sure it wasn't binding from the clip-on installation. I think it was a pre-existing condition ready to go bad (I'm at 11,500 mi.), and perhaps the slight additional friction from the clipons setup (and the tugging and cussing which accompanied the installation) put it over the edge. There is a bit of a groove cut into the throttle housing where the cable had obviously been misaligned for awhile, probably from my last handlebar reinstallation. So I guess I'm looking at another three hours this weekend when I hoped to be riding :'(

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Whew! is right. This wasn't easy, but it did work. Thanks to Mark for posting the procedure. I had a false start when Munroe sold me the wrong cable (not really their fault, it was in an unmarked bag) and then I had to drive to Modesto to find one in stock. I couldn't get a "thin rod" through on the left side, but I was able to get one (a long thin screwdriver) in from the right and tie it off against the frame. If you do this, make sure it's tied securely so it doesn't come loose like mine did the first time. I also agree that putting the throttle housing back together might be the hardest part of the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts