Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I've recently bought a 2007 S4RS, slipper clutch, Termi system and dripping with carbon. Beautiful hooligan machine. I see there are two threaded metal inserts in the front of the air filter box, on the RHS behind the headstock. Can anyone tell me what is missing ?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Helmet Yellow Wheel

·
Registered
450 Posts
My S4 (earlier than yours) has a thread with a nut on it.
It doesn't look factory to me.
Parts list for your bike shows nothing there and it doesn't need anything as it's the left side that holds the radiator on.
The right side is just a lug that the radiator can't slip from unless the bolt on the left side is removed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design
Font Triangle Slope Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, you're looking at the radiator mounting. that is indeed clever as there is cost and weight to be saved by not needing a screw in the RHS just the screw fixings top and bottom on the LHS. having owned 90's 900SS and 851 the difference in 'design for build' is astounding. The nose screen mounting is simplicity itself with so few parts. Seriously good design throughout as far as I can see. BUT, i was meaning the two brass coloured threaded inserts moulded into the front of the airbag, within the perimeter of the frame.

My S4 (earlier than yours) has a thread with a nut on it.
It doesn't look factory to me.
Parts list for your bike shows nothing there and it doesn't need anything as it's the left side that holds the radiator on.
The right side is just a lug that the radiator can't slip from unless the bolt on the left side is removed.
View attachment 228589 View attachment 228590

·
Registered
450 Posts
OK, I get what you're on about now.
Early S4 models had a part of the immobilizer system bolted on there (same with ST models).
Neither your bike or mine have anything mounted there as that part (I think) is now integral to the instrument cluster.
Those inserts are an unused relic of previous models.
Font Art Magenta Slope Auto part

1 - 5 of 5 Posts