Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a nice demo bike at my dealer I'm considering, about 2,000 miles on it.

With BMWs I firmly believe in the full throttle on and off break in method. BMW boxer motors big enemy is carbon buildup, which is exasperated by not having the rings seat, and conventional wisdom is riding hard is what a BMW motor needs. Big throttle at high RPMs. The thought is that the manufacturers can't recommend this breaking due to liability of rider exceeding the speed limit. I've riden mine like this and at 21,000 miles have really just completed the breakin, and oil useage has gone way down.

Which brings me to Ducati. Are these motors up for hard running? Do they thrive on it or just tolerate it or worse, do they need to be babied? Because if it were a BMW, I would have no problem buying a demo. Not sure about Ducati.

The bike, an S4RS looks pristene, the rear tire has lots of tread, and both tires have lots of chicken stripes. I ran it up to maybe just short of 10,000 rpms myself, oh was it smooth. The stock seating / bar position fits me perfect. There is just something about spooling a twin up into 5 digit territory, my BMW hard limits at 7,800.

The dealer here charges about a total of $900 for destination and assembly above the list price. On their demos they do not charge this $900 and take about $1,000 of list. And the first service is done. They don't seem to into dealing. So basically I would get an S4RS with 2,000 miles on it for $14K plus tax & license (& 10 percent of parts for a month or so). Probably not the best deal, but I don't generally beat the dealer up too much when I buy, & I'm self employed with more work than time, so I lose $$ if I spend too much time chasing around deals.

Anyway, real ? is, are these dainty motors? Do I need to worry that early abuse hurt it?

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
SlyFox, please keep posting everywhere. I love your Avatar.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I can't speak from experience with demo bikes, but I know rental cars are something to avoid. The driving style of a lot of different people just is not good. Think about all those people that did not have experience on the bike and how many mis-shifts and random behavior it has seen. I would say if you really want one go for a new one, or a used that has been ridden by 1 person. I also don't know what 5 digit rpms feel like as even though my tac goes to 12,000 hard redline is closer to 9,000.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Id say as long as the dealer carries a warranty on it and you can carfax the bike (you can cant you?) Id be ok with it. I mean, unless you marry a virgin you dont know how she was broken in right? You just ride her the way you like from the day you bring her home. Although, getting anything used means it was someone elses problem before you.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
HyperM3 said:
Id say as long as the dealer carries a warranty on it and you can carfax the bike (you can cant you?) Id be ok with it. I mean, unless you marry a virgin you dont know how she was broken in right? You just ride her the way you like from the day you bring her home. Although, getting anything used means it was someone elses problem before you.
My wife was lightly used when I got her but luckily she came with a 25 year warranty, which is just about to run out. Even so, I'm keeping her. So the whole principle of buying used from the dealer or from a private seller must be considered on an individual basis, and a warranty helps. I got my bike used from an original owner and it's perfect, but I have no warranty. The dealers usually don't offer as good of deals as private sellers so the warranty evens things out.

·
Banned
523 Posts
socalrob said:
With BMWs I firmly believe in the full throttle on and off break in method.
Interesting POV on break in that substantiates your claim on BMWs.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If it were me, I wouldn't worry...but I would change the oil/filter first thing, unless there was good documentation on it's very recent change. Demos likely have more short trips than real "rides" where oil doesn't reach full temp. Oil is cheap..even synthetics...compared to Ducati replacement parts. Joe X

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
+1 on buying used to save money. Anything actually "wrong" with the bike should be sorted out by the time you get it. +1 again if it comes with a nice long warranty. +1 on pretty much caning the bike right away (and changing the oil a couple times prematurely).

Lucky bastage! S4RS ??!

;D Chris

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
okemos said:
My wife was lightly used when I got her but luckily she came with a 25 year warranty, which is just about to run out. Even so, I'm keeping her. [...]
What is considered lightly used? Did you know the former owner or was she well documented? [laugh]

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I keep my vehicles for a very long time, in fact, I'll be keeping both my bikes (and any future bikes) until I can't ride them anymore. For that reason I prefer to buy new so I know the entire history of my vehicle. That piece of mind is worth the extra money versus used, IMO.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
stik said:
What is considered lightly used? Did you know the former owner or was she well documented? [laugh]
I didn't have the opportunity to purchase a "wife fax" at the time, so the history on my wife comes straight from her. She says she was taken around the block only once before me. Having spent the last 23 years with her, I know that's the truth. I have only had to replace one ring (it's gold) and she still has good spark. I don't ride her as often as I'd like, but when I do I enjoy the fact that I've got a classic.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
okemos said:
I didn't have the opportunity to purchase a "wife fax" at the time, so the history on my wife comes straight from her. She says she was taken around the block only once before me. Having spent the last 23 years with her, I know that's the truth. I have only had to replace one ring (it's gold) and she still has good spark. I don't ride her as often as I'd like, but when I do I enjoy the fact that I've got a classic.
Priceless. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I think some of you may be missing the point slightly. He is not just buying a used bike, but a demo bike. So it is not ridden by one or two people it is ridden by a whole bunch of people that take short very fast trips and are overall hard on the bike, plus many people that may not be familiar with the bike and the way it shifts/brakes/accelerates so again ridden hard. I am all for a used bike, but not a demo or rental.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Demos whether cars or bikes are pretty much guaranteed to be more abused on a regular basis than a used car. I remember working at a couple dealerships and we would all take turns flogging the GM's demo cars around the block. Like mentioned, these cars are ridden hard for short periods of time, so they are abused a little bit more. 2000 short miles on a bike is pretty harsh. Id pass on a demo after all the said and done.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear what you are saying about short rides, but

The shop's test ride is about 10 miles or so, about 5 of it on the freeway, the rest on surface streets with about 35mph speed limits. The shop warms the bike up a bit & its about 3/4 miles to the freeway, so by the time you hit the on ramp it should be at least moderately warmed up. This is actually a few miles longer than my commute, so if the bike can't handle 2,000 miles of these 10 mile trips then I'm a bit worried.

The tires look easily riden (not really scrubed in to the edges or anything), the brakes are flawless smooth. I agree with the shifting thing, how reliable / bullet proof are ducati trans? With an S4RS, just for life safety issues, I would imagine that 3 out of 4 riders would be at least a bit tentative with the throttle & brakes. So we are really down to about 50 hard runs. Again, the way I ride, I would hope thats not a huge problem, as that only seems like about 2 months of ownership.

The bike would have a full factory warranty (starts the day its bought).

BTW, my wife is driving an old E320 Merc that we bought used (8,000 miles) from Enterprise rentals, it has a bit under 100,000 miles and has been flawless. Seems to me that most modern vehicles are less prone to abuse than those of old, between electronic limiters to much more over engineering on things like the brakes.

My old BMW R1150R thrives on being riden hard. I don't mind the service intervals & costs on a Ducati, but I would hate to think that every ride I would be thinking "I gotta take it easy, it might break".

Of course I'm still on the fence on this.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I just re-read your first post, and the only problem I have in your buying that bike with 2,000 demo miles on it for $14,000 plus tax and license is that my dealer is selling a brand new S4RS with no miles on it for $13,500 plus tax and license. Honest to god, that's what's on the price tag, if I'm not mistaken. To check it out, Google Life Cycle Motorcycles in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and give them a call tomorrow.(I hope I'm not confusing that with a new S4R). I'd just want to make sure I was getting a good deal, if I were you.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
C Fresh said:
I think some of you may be missing the point slightly. He is not just buying a used bike, but a demo bike. So it is not ridden by one or two people it is ridden by a whole bunch of people that take short very fast trips and are overall hard on the bike, plus many people that may not be familiar with the bike and the way it shifts/brakes/accelerates so again ridden hard. I am all for a used bike, but not a demo or rental.
Okemos,
It's not lightly used..... ;D In comparison, a demo bike is like a prostitute. [clap] ;D

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
slyfox said:
Okemos,
It's not lightly used..... ;D In comparison, a demo bike is like a prostitute. [clap] ;D
Agree totally. [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [laugh]

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I test rode a bike once, when I say test rode I mean I test rode a bike owned by a dealer, wanted to clarify that first because when I ride my friends bike it is usually on the track and we haul ass. That being said the bike I test rode a few years back was an Aprilia Tuono. I was nudged into taking the test ride as the owner of the place was a friend of mine and insisted that I go. I went about one mile and back as I was terrified that somthing would happen while I was on it, god forbid, I just cant afford to replace a bike I didnt own or at the time didnt neccessarily want. I am not sure how most people who test ride bikes think but I can only assume that a good majority of them feel the same way I did especially a Ducati which tends to be a bit more expensive than your average Japanese bike.

my .02

1 - 20 of 29 Posts