Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode one time in the last 2 weeks...WTF...

I hate this cold blustery weather...snow every 4th day, roads with so much salt it looks like you're going thru a dust storm.... I can taste salt on my lips when I walk the dog!!!

I can't wait till we get a good soaking rain to clear the roads and the weather starts to at least stay in the high 30's.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: ::)

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
DUCnHAR said:
I rode one time in the last 2 weeks...WTF...

I hate this cold blustery weather...snow every 4th day, roads with so much salt it looks like you're going thru a dust storm.... I can taste salt on my lips when I walk the dog!!!

I can't wait till we get a good soaking rain to clear the roads and the weather starts to at least stay in the high 30's.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: ::)
i hear you on that deb. i have so much salt on my rain gear that i'm afraid i'll have to buy new stuff soon. it won't come off.

however, the salt and slush from the past few days has helped me get better at controlling the bike whent he rear wheel is sliding. i'll be backing it in soon enough ;D

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
F the cold weather.
Although, I guess its why we appreciate the warm weather so much.
...can you tell I'm trying my hardest to be an optmist these days? :)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Its even to cold to do work on the bike let alone ride.
The salt in this area is out of control.
I hope that ground hog is predicts a short winter and is right this time.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
98yell750 said:
Its even to cold to do work on the bike let alone ride.
The salt in this area is out of control.
I hope that ground hog is predicts a short winter and is right this time.
we can always "convince" him to make winter shorter. ;D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
we can always "convince" him to make winter shorter. ;D
and how's that - you ridin out to Punxsutawney?
Great roads around there... only been there in the summertime though

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
kenrok1 said:
and how's that - you ridin out to Punxsutawney?
Great roads around there... only been there in the summertime though
i might. it would have more of an impact if i did ride out and slid to a stop right in front of him then jumped off the bike, grabbed him and had a talk.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crap, the extended forecast looks worse then ever...highs not getting out of the 20's first week in February..... oh well, we had it good all winter till now..... and still not any snow to talk about...just enough to keep you from wanting to take the bike out.

Spring is coming!!! [cheeky]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sooner than you think!! We'll be burning in the yard soon - that's our part to raise the temperature. Christmas trees are the best (to burn)!. Don't worry Deb, we'll be riding soon - it just feels like it's going to be a long time. We'll be in Daytona for bike week. Anyone else going?
laura

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
DUCnHAR said:
crap, the extended forecast looks worse then ever...highs not getting out of the 20's first week in February..... oh well, we had it good all winter till now..... and still not any snow to talk about...just enough to keep you from wanting to take the bike out.

Spring is coming!!! [cheeky]
Considering how little snow and ice we've had, it's amazing how much salt and crap is on the roads.

I was hoping for another decent day to top the gas off and add some stabilizer. I could fill the gas can, but I wanted to ride the bike. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
hehe, you guys are gonna luv this.....

i am a triaxle dump driver, and from working with penndot over the years, i can tell you this as fact. they MUST use a certain amount of salt each year, or the allotment for next year is cut. thats how we got into the situation we had several years ago when there was no salt to be had. we used it all up, and the next salt barge wasnt coming because it wasnt needed for so long. now they just go out and dump the crap on the roads to use it up.

they also mix the salt with "brine" which is a very corrosive cocktail of calcium chloride and some other nasty stuff. the salt eats concrete (funny how our highways are concrete huh?) and holds moisture. the potholes you see in the roads are from the salt getting down in them, holding moisture, and then freezing. the frost pushes them out.

what is truly amazing, is about 10 years ago, the head of penndot was getting complaints about the corrsion damage to peoples cars with them using salt. the MF'ing HEAD OF PENNDOT got on the news and said "we do not use anything on the roads that is corrosive to your vehicle". i couldnt friggin believe it! this state is F'd up with their politics.....

if youve ever been to colorado, they only use sand. there is no salt to be found. and amazingly enough those people can drive in the snow!

wash your bike and gear very well before the salt eats into everything. trust me, it will. it can get into things like spark plug caps and exhaust joints, causing serious corrosion issues.

i had to sign a waiver in october stating that i would not use too much salt on the roads and pollute the environment. it was an EPA issued letter. ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
so is that part of the reason i see huge piles of salt sitting on the sides of the road now?

there was one in THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE IN A TURN that nearly took me out on the way home today. that wasn't cool.

i try to wash my bike off within a day of riding through the mucky salt crap.

idk if you will know this, but do townships get to decide what they use on their roads? i see cinders, salt, and sand on my way in to work.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
i just wanted to say that it was a balmy 32 this morn and it felt like spring after being in the 20s the last few mornings.

how sad is that? :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
they use different mixes for different conditions, sometimes it is mixed with 1/4" stone, called anti-skid.

the salt piles are from the driver raising the body to fill up the spreader. if there are wires above, they have to stop and fill the spreader every few minutes when the truck is near empty.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
roccon31 said:
they use different mixes for different conditions, sometimes it is mixed with 1/4" stone, called anti-skid.

the salt piles are from the driver raising the body to fill up the spreader. if there are wires above, they have to stop and fill the spreader every few minutes when the truck is near empty.
so that's what they are doing....it annoyed me most because it was in the middle of the on ramp for 202N

·
Registered
74 Posts
they are supposed to shut the spreader off when they do that, but as most everyone knows, most truck drivers are lazy. sometimes it can dump out even when the spreader is off though.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
hahaha..9 degrees this morning :eek:

thank you mr gerbings. the bike didn't do anything when i first tried to start it this morn. i was about to just put it back in the garage and go back to bed, but i guess the sun helped warm it up and it finally started. i got tired of sitting in stopped traffic on 76 and being cold so i started splitting and riding like a hooligan to get to work quicker. it was glorious [thumbsup]

so just for shits and giggles i looked up the wind chill factor for 9 degrees at 60 mph (i hit 70 once while drafting an suv, but quickly backed off since it was just painful) the wind chill is -20F

WOO HOO!!!! and it's going to get up to a warm and cozy 17 today!

you can do your own conversions using the thing at the bottow of this page

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was working on my scooter on Saturday, nothing big, just a battery tender on the battery, and my fingers were absolutely frozen.

i got tired of sitting in stopped traffic on 76 and being cold so i started splitting and riding like a hooligan
:eek:

I just can't imagine riding in this weather, but sometimes you just got to do what you have got to do.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
KnightofNi II said:
hahaha..9 degrees this morning :eek:

thank you mr gerbings. the bike didn't do anything when i first tried to start it this morn. i was about to just put it back in the garage and go back to bed, but i guess the sun helped warm it up and it finally started. i got tired of sitting in stopped traffic on 76 and being cold so i started splitting and riding like a hooligan to get to work quicker. it was glorious [thumbsup]

so just for shits and giggles i looked up the wind chill factor for 9 degrees at 60 mph (i hit 70 once while drafting an suv, but quickly backed off since it was just painful) the wind chill is -20F

WOO HOO!!!! and it's going to get up to a warm and cozy 17 today!

you can do your own conversions using the thing at the bottow of this page
I was going to ask if you rode today. You have some serious cajones, my friend. I am humbled in your presence! [clap]

Maybe heated gear would change my perspective, but I'm just not ready to ride in anything much below 40.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Advanced forecast for next week is calling for rain (Goodbye Salt!) early in the week and for it to be in the high 40's and low 50's(may be warm enough for the rest of us to ride?).

Of course, this does mean [email protected], because I don't think that the weather guy could predict the weather if he was standing in it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts