Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was taking the usual ride down to the ferry with a friend today. While we were on a straight, flat part of the road I thought I hit a large dog or something. Looked back and stopped, asked my friend (riding behind me)... but I didn't hit anything. The bike just jerked really hard. The jarring seemed to come almost completely from the back tire in a motion which seemed to pull the bike backwards and upwards. It was an extremely quick but powerful jerk. Really threw me off balance. If I'd been in a turn, I would be posting to tell you guys damage to the bike from downing it.

So, question is - what was it?

I checked the chain, although I just replaced it. The sprockets have about 5k miles and they looked fine. What else could it be.

BTW - it has only done this ONCE.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Check to see if your undertray is still there. Sounds as if something has momentarily jammed between wheel and swingarm.
Check suspension linkages etc. Basically anything that could have jammed. May even have been something on the road flying up and jamming

·
Registered
178 Posts
What are you riding? Your chain tension bolts/plates could be loose and have hit your sprocket - are they still there/tight?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Palooka said:
Check to see if your undertray is still there. Sounds as if something has momentarily jammed between wheel and swingarm.
Check suspension linkages etc. Basically anything that could have jammed. May even have been something on the road flying up and jamming
no sign of anything falling off or jamming...

sjjkennedy said:
What are you riding? Your chain tension bolts/plates could be loose and have hit your sprocket - are they still there/tight?
sjjkennedy said:
Yep, chain still has good tension.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
weird, very weird.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the only thing I can think of is some road debris (small rock maybe) somehow getting jammed between the sprockets and chain. I'll take the chain off to inspect it and the sprockets more closely to look for damage.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Who you callin' jerk, wiseguy? ;D

Nothing on that patch of road either eh?

No edge trap, overzealous downshifting making the rear wheel slide, no marks on the wheel or swingarm?

Wheel bearings? In advertent lock-up of the rear brake for .01 seconds?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supero100 said:
Who you callin' jerk, wiseguy? ;D

Nothing on that patch of road either eh?

No edge trap, overzealous downshifting making the rear wheel slide, no marks on the wheel or swingarm?

Wheel bearings? In advertent lock-up of the rear brake for .01 seconds?
I'm not quite that dumb ;) I wish the answer was that easy, but it only happened once and hopefully that time will be the last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts