Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I don't think that Ducati will be back on the track that afternoon. :eek:

Any info on whether, or how many times, the rider was struck by other bikes?

That pic pretty well defines Bad Crash.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw the picture on some random site, I couldn't believe it when I saw it. There was no information with it though.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Steve Rapp walked away from that accident even though the bike was destroyed. He was quoted as saying that another rider (John Kocinski?) "parked his bike" on the track in front of him and that when he hit that bike, his front brake lever got slammed into the clip-on, which caused the bike to abruptly stop. While the race was red-flagged, Rapp walked back to the pits and was on his back-up bike for the restart of the race. Rapp was extremely fortunate that he wasn't run over by any of the other racers behind him.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I think that footage was actually in FASTER...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
He's gonna have a heck of a time getting that fixed under warranty with DNA!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow. It looked like Kocinski did weave over in front of him pretty suddenly to set up wide for the turn. A Kawasaki and a Suzuki did a great job of missing Rapp as he was sliding.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Jonathan, thanks for the details. I had heard or read about Rapp's crash and runnng back to the pits for his backup bike, but had no clue it was this horrendous.

Stuff like this separates the men from the boys in pro racing. The average guy would be thinking about how to clean out his leathers instead of getting to his backup bike.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yeah, I liked at the end how Rapp was sitting on his butt waving his hands around like "jeez, that sucked". But no big deal.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I was in Turn one when this happened, it was absolutely amazing that height the the bike and associated parts attained. Steve finished 8th on his back up after starting from the rear of the field.

I am going to miss Road America.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Look at the one from Laguna Seca WSBK this year. Frankie Chili gets hurt, runs uphill back to the pits in full race leathers, then after the restart won Race one in World Superbike. And he is about 40 years old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts