Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im planning on buying another bike next spring as an upgrade from my 250 Ninja (first bike, and i really like it- going to try to keep it around) Im seriously looking at the Buell XB9S, and Ducati's Monster. I recently got a ride on my friends M750 with Leo high pipes and I have to say the torque was just awesome! Im not sure if I want to buy new (i am a cheap sob after all) and was thinking that for the price of a new Buell, I could pick up a nice 750+cc Monster and have cash left over. My burning question at the moment is what kind of gas mileage do you all get with your bikes? I tried the search, but came up with zilch. Thanks!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Sup MonstaLova!
Go for the Monster, it's such a sweet bike and so much fun to ride.
It's all about the Monster between your legs :eek:

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
You were wise to start with the Ninja and it would be wise to keep it. You'll love the Monster, but it would be too precious to thrash around.

Because you already have experience, you really should look into a 900.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm coming from a similar situation. I bought a ninja 250 last summer to learn on and started looking around for something with just a bit more power thinking I'd get it in the spring. I was looking at the Buell XB9S, BMW F650CS and the Monster 620/800.

I lucked into a lighjtly used '02 Monster 620 Dark last weekend (i think it was luck.. ;)).

My impressions coming from the ninja 250:

The good:
Handling. Like the ninja, the monster is light and handles great - I actually feel more a bit comfortable with the handling of the monster.

Power. The monster has considerably more power than the ninja :)

Visibility. I like the mirrors on the monster better than the ninja - because of the seating position they are closer to your eyes and shake-free. (note tho that while I'm happy so far with the monster mirrors, most here are less pleased with them and replacing them seems to be a very common mod)

Looks. This bike looks sooo good. People notice it. They like it.

Insurance. It dropped. Not much, but it dropped. Amazing what having less plastic will do to rates, even with the cc increase.

The bad:
Clutch pull/placement. In my case, the short legs that limited my choices for stepping up are accompanied by small hands. On the ninja, I could adjust the slack on the clutch cable to move the friction zone closer to the handlebars. The monster has a hydraulic clutch and no means of adjusting it. So there will be adjustable clutch and front brake levers in my future.. Oh, the friction zone is very small and first gear is kinda tall compared to the ninja, so stop and go traffic is a bit more work. Of course, that's motivation to find ~other~, less-travelled routes [somehow, with a 6.6 mile commute, I managed to put 400 miles on my bike in its 1st week..]

Gas mileage. I got about 62mpg with the ninja. Now I'm getting 42mpg [some of that ~may~ be the enjoyment of the increased power - heh].

No centerstand. Remember how easy it was to clean your chain on the ninja? Remember how easy it was to inspect your rear tire?

The ugly:
The sidestand. This thing sucks. I hold my breath every time I deploy it (less convenient than on the ninja) and then - as I start turning blue - I turn the handlebars to the left and sloooowly let the bike down onto the sidestand, marvelling that, despite everything my senses scream at me, the bike somehow doesn't just fall onto its side :-[. This sidestand makes me nervous - especially given the lack of a centerstand.

The different:
The seating position is a little more aggressive than on the ninja. The pegs are back a little and you're leaned onto the handlebars. My initial riding was with straight arms and I've had to train myself to relax and have a slight bend to my arms. I'm getting uncomfortable after about 45 minutes in the saddle. As I get used to the bike I hope that'll improve.

I hope this helps.

And while I couldn't keep my ninja and have the monster, if you can swing it, I also recommend holding onto the ninja as a 2nd bike if you can. But, if I had to choose only one bike, it'd definitely be the monster

G

·
intersting. my first bike was a ninja 250 also. i'm glad that i learned to ride on something so light and user friendly (aka gutless). it was a perfect beginner bike.

i just bought a monster last week. i bought a 96 900 and i am very pleased with the purchase. i have never bought a new vehicle and prefer for someone else to take the bath on depreciation. in my case i purchased a low miles (6800) bike for $5100 which had a lot of improvements. also, my impression is that ducati owners typically take care of their bikes, so 'used' doesn't mean that you are purchasing someone else's problems.

so i would figure that a monster would be a very natural progression from the ninja 250. it's leight weight will be familiar.

good luck!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Buy a Monster...you won't regret it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
684 Posts
I got my M750i.e. about a month and a half ago and absolutely love it! It is a great bike to ride and has the added benefit of attracting a lot of attention with its stylish good looks. Hard to imagine going wrong with a monster. The 750 suits me just fine; plenty of power and roar,... and I'm about 190lbs.

(go for it ) [smiley=evil.gif]

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
This summer I'd been looking at getting a bike and had been seriously thinking about getting a Buell XB9S also. Then my buddy told me he was selling his immaculate '96 Monster M900 for less than 1/3 what a Buell would cost. I knew if I passed up the Monster I'd be kicking myself for a long time so it was a really easy decision. I love the look of naked bikes and the more neutral riding position as opposed to that of a cruiser or sport bike. You won't go wrong with the Ducati, there's tons of sweet aftermarket parts out there and for some reason women always want a ride on my Monster after seeing it. ;) Cheers,
Hanns

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You were wise to start with the Ninja and it would be wise to keep it. You'll love the Monster, but it would be too precious to thrash around.

Because you already have experience, you really should look into

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Visibility. I like the mirrors on the monster better than the ninja - because of the seating position they are closer to your eyes and shake-free. (note tho that while I'm happy so far with the monster mirrors, most here are less pleased with them and replacing them seems to be a very common mod)
From what ive seen, bar end mirros are where its at. The M750 I rode had some cheapie bar end mirrors, but they were great. I could see so much more with those than the ninja mirrors.

Looks. This bike looks sooo good. People notice it. They like it.
I hear that. There's nothing that looks like a Monster.

Insurance. It dropped. Not much, but it dropped. Amazing what having less plastic will do to rates, even with the cc increase.
Really? Im only carrying liability on my Ninja and its $135/year, but ive also had one accident and one ticket in the last year (auto)

The bad:
Clutch pull/placement. In my case, the short legs that limited my choices for stepping up are accompanied by small hands. On the ninja, I could adjust the slack on the clutch cable to move the friction zone closer to the handlebars. The monster has a hydraulic clutch and no means of adjusting it. So there will be adjustable clutch and front brake levers in my future.. Oh, the friction zone is very small and first gear is kinda tall compared to the ninja, so stop and go traffic is a bit more work. Of course, that's motivation to find ~other~, less-travelled routes [somehow, with a 6.6 mile commute, I managed to put 400 miles on my bike in its 1st week..]
I know what you mean. The first thing i noticed on my M750 ride was a stiff clutch. I dont think its anything i couldn't live with though.

Gas mileage. I got about 62mpg with the ninja. Now I'm getting 42mpg [some of that ~may~ be the enjoyment of the increased power - heh].[
If you step back and look at it, 42 really isn't that bad. My daily driver gets 16, even if im towing a car on the open trailer.

No centerstand. Remember how easy it was to clean your chain on the ninja? Remember how easy it was to inspect your rear tire?
Thats no big deal, I don't even have mine on anymore. I only used it for oil changes. Get this, the reason i don't have it anymore is that i adapted a set of OEM Ducati Monster exhaust cans to the bike, and the center stand wouldn't retract up into the frame all the way anymore :)

The ugly:
The sidestand. This thing sucks. I hold my breath every time I deploy it (less convenient than on the ninja) and then - as I start turning blue - I turn the handlebars to the left and sloooowly let the bike down onto the sidestand, marvelling that, despite everything my senses scream at me, the bike somehow doesn't just fall onto its side :-[. This sidestand makes me nervous - especially given the lack of a centerstand.
So whats the deal with the side stand? Ive heard a lot of stories (second hand mind you) of Monsters just tipping over. Is it just bad geometry? What situations do they like to tip over in? Can you start them up for warm up and leave them on the side stand? I do that on the Ninja all the time.

The different:
The seating position is a little more aggressive than on the ninja. The pegs are back a little and you're leaned onto the handlebars. My initial riding was with straight arms and I've had to train myself to relax and have a slight bend to my arms. I'm getting uncomfortable after about 45 minutes in the saddle. As I get used to the bike I hope that'll improve.
I sat on a Monster at the local dealer and thought the ride position was too far forward for me. When i rode the m750, i thought it was just great. I liked the wide handlebars that brought my elbows out into the breeze :)

I hope this helps.

And while I couldn't keep my ninja and have the monster, if you can swing it, I also recommend holding onto the ninja as a 2nd bike if you can. But, if I had to choose only one bike, it'd definitely be the monster
It does help, thanks for your input!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
One point to keep in mind about the clutch. I owned an M750 5 speed wet clutch and now I have an S4 6 speed dry. The six speed dry allows for the aftermarket mod. http://www.motostrano-store.com/bilalclutsla1.html
I just did this mod on the S4 and love it. I also suggest a 900 model. I know the 900's and up have the 6spd but I don't know what other models have the 6spd vs 5spd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts