Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought an '01 S4 and ride it most of the time. That being said, I work from home (network engineer) and am well-served by public transit, so I don't HAVE TO ride my bike for work or whatever. I mostly ride around the city and, since the bike has so much torque, I'm so rarely on the HWY, and I have no business going over 100MPH anywhere; I'm thinking about going up a tooth on the rear sprocket or down a tooth on the front. I think this will LOWER my gearing, correct? Anyone do this? Pros/cons? I don't care about resale on the bike, I'll ride it til it dies and prolly even then replace whatever died. It's not lacking in low-end torque at all, I just think it would more often be in the usable RPM range if it were geared lower.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
3 teeth up on the rear is the rough equivalent of 1 tooth off the countershaft. The debate rages, but I don't like to drop teeth off the CS sprocket. You loose swingarm/chain clearance and risk shorter chain/sprocket life. Either one would be a pretty dramatic difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've done that it works well the bike pulls real hard in midrange, yes the chain is closer to the swing arm but its no big deal if you keep an eye on it. the chain guide wears so if you start seeing paint rubbing off the swing arm time to replace the guide. I'm running 14/38 can't be happier with the bike ride on

1 - 3 of 3 Posts